Home

Alex Smith Put On IR

This is a discussion on Alex Smith Put On IR within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Alex Smith Put On IR

Echoing the "he's done" sentiments. I thought he was pretty good coming out of Utah, though... draft can be a crapshoot sometimes.

Purely speculative question, would he have been any better off had San Francisco not changed their offensive coordinator each year he was there? Or did he just not have it? I don't get many 49ers' games in my area so I never really got to watch him.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Echoing the "he's done" sentiments. I thought he was pretty good coming out of Utah, though... draft can be a crapshoot sometimes.

Purely speculative question, would he have been any better off had San Francisco not changed their offensive coordinator each year he was there? Or did he just not have it? I don't get many 49ers' games in my area so I never really got to watch him.
Good question. I thought he had begun to turn the corner the year he played for Norv Turner. Then due to AJ Smith being a jackass that rug got pulled out from under him.

Young QB's struggle as it is, but when you give them a new offense and a new coach every season, you're asking for failure.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #11

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq

Maybe, it didnt help but he was never the most accurate QB in the world and there have been reports that he isnt the brightest at picking up the playbook either so I think he would have been better then he is now but not good enough to be a contributing factor on a playoff team. The season Norv was there we showed more promise, but we also leaned on Gore a ton and we had a deep threat in Antonio Bryant that bailed out Smith a lot, so it was a mixture of Turner leaving, running the ball less and less and losing any deep threat we might have had previously.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

I'm not ready to say he's done. What he needs is stability. He has a head coach that doesn't like him & an OC that doesn't care for him. That spells doom more than a bum shoulder.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

What a massive disappointment. I have a soft spot for the Niners and I thought Smith would lead them to a run of some decent success. Boy was I wrong!

Maybe the Niners need to draft another Notre Dame QB to be successful again?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
Pro

erich20012001's Arena

OVR: 8

What the ****. Why the hell didn't we draft Aaron Rodgers. ****.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #15
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich20012001
What the ****. Why the hell didn't we draft Aaron Rodgers. ****.
Aaron Rodgers didn't start a meaningful game until 3 days ago. Thats 3 seasons to sit and learn the playbook behind a very good QB. Not to say Favre helped him but still. 3 seasons. Not to mention that Green Bay is a pretty solid ballclub.

Alex Smith was thrown into the mix right away with a bad team. So he struggled. Couple that with the fact he had to learn a new offense every year. Then as was said before the Head Coach and OC don't like him. What was the guy supposed to do. I actually thought he started to show some promise in 2006 when Norv was there. I remember watching him play the Chargers that year and thought he was gonna do good things.

I think if he can get his shoulder fixed up and stay healthy he will do some good things in this league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #16

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Aaron Rodgers didn't start a meaningful game until 3 days ago. Thats 3 seasons to sit and learn the playbook behind a very good QB. Not to say Favre helped him but still. 3 seasons. Not to mention that Green Bay is a pretty solid ballclub.

Alex Smith was thrown into the mix right away with a bad team. So he struggled. Couple that with the fact he had to learn a new offense every year. Then as was said before the Head Coach and OC don't like him. What was the guy supposed to do. I actually thought he started to show some promise in 2006 when Norv was there. I remember watching him play the Chargers that year and thought he was gonna do good things.

I think if he can get his shoulder fixed up and stay healthy he will do some good things in this league.
I respectfully disagree. In 2006 Smith completed 58.1% of his passes and threw 16 TD's to 16 INT's, solid I guess but not something that got me excited for the future, he looked serviceable at best. That same year, Frank Gore carried the ball 312 times for 1695 yards and caught 61 passes as well, Gore was the reason that team did well with over 2000 total yards of offense, last year we abandoned Gore all but making him worthless in most games. The key to this team is Gore being the focal point of the offense with a passing game that wont turn it over, Smith doesnt fit that at all.

Alex Smith might turn it around with a fresh start as its been known to happen in the past but I wouldnt bet on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »