Home

Alex Smith Put On IR

This is a discussion on Alex Smith Put On IR within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 AM   #17
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Alex Smith Put On IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
I respectfully disagree. In 2006 Smith completed 58.1% of his passes and threw 16 TD's to 16 INT's, solid I guess but not something that got me excited for the future, he looked serviceable at best. That same year, Frank Gore carried the ball 312 times for 1695 yards and caught 61 passes as well, Gore was the reason that team did well with over 2000 total yards of offense, last year we abandoned Gore all but making him worthless in most games. The key to this team is Gore being the focal point of the offense with a passing game that wont turn it over, Smith doesnt fit that at all.

Alex Smith might turn it around with a fresh start as its been known to happen in the past but I wouldnt bet on it.
Obviously you have seen much more of Alex Smith then I have. I just think if Norv would have stayed and he could have run that offense again he would have contuined to improve. The OC they had last year was complete grabage. He was never gonna be a superstar IMO but I think he could have been a very solid starter. And yes I know it was all about Gore in 2006 so that helped him along that season. But it is what it is and he's no longer gonna be a 49er so time will tell if he turns out to be a complete bust.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #18
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimping219
I respectfully disagree. In 2006 Smith completed 58.1% of his passes and threw 16 TD's to 16 INT's, solid I guess but not something that got me excited for the future, he looked serviceable at best. That same year, Frank Gore carried the ball 312 times for 1695 yards and caught 61 passes as well, Gore was the reason that team did well with over 2000 total yards of offense, last year we abandoned Gore all but making him worthless in most games. The key to this team is Gore being the focal point of the offense with a passing game that wont turn it over, Smith doesnt fit that at all.

Alex Smith might turn it around with a fresh start as its been known to happen in the past but I wouldnt bet on it.
For a 2nd year QB playing under a new system on a bad team those aren't bad numbers. Not sure what kind of numbers you thought he was going to put up. Drew Brees was similiar in numbers his first year as a starter, and worse than that his 3rd year as a starter. The raw passing numbers don't tell the whole story.

I watched a lot of Niner games that year, and he definitely had started to turn the corner. I thought another year of development and a few pieces around him and he would really improve. The Niners screwed the pooch on that one,and Smith suffered the consequences.

As soon as they hired Martz I knew his days were numbered, he doesn't fit that offense at all. The Niners are the Niners for a reason, and these types of decisions are why.

This is also why I hate seeing QB's drafted by bad teams and thrown in to the fire, they usually get ruined.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 AM   #19

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Obviously you have seen much more of Alex Smith then I have. I just think if Norv would have stayed and he could have run that offense again he would have contuined to improve. The OC they had last year was complete grabage. He was never gonna be a superstar IMO but I think he could have been a very solid starter. And yes I know it was all about Gore in 2006 so that helped him along that season. But it is what it is and he's no longer gonna be a 49er so time will tell if he turns out to be a complete bust.
One other thing I should have mentioned, I hear people mentioning that the GM and the HC dont like him, and I dont really buy that either. The GM is an idiot for sure, but Ive never heard anything that would point to him not liking Smith. Nolan is just an idiot, he doesnt dislike Smith as much as Nolan has no brains, ever since he went public last year questioning Smith's toughness it was over, did he do that because he didnt like him? I suppose its possible but based on the other idiotic things Nolan has done I doubt hes even smart enough to formulate such a plan on the fly like that.

Smith needs to get with a really strong QB coach that can work with him on his accuracy and reading the defense and if that happens then he stands a chance of turning it around, if it doesnt then he doesnt. That draft sucked, we were backed into the corner of picking a QB since we were coming off of the likes of Tim Rattay so we were stuck in some regards, you live and you learn I suppose.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

He looked worlds better under Turner then he did his rookie season, but last year was the same ol' and then he got a season ending injury.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
He looked worlds better under Turner then he did his rookie season, but last year was the same ol' and then he got a season ending injury.
If Turner had stayed or became the head coach in San Fran I think Smith would be doing a lot better now. He totally regressed under the OC when Turner left.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28

Maybe Matt Leinart was onto something.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 12

What ever rhythm he had, it was short-lived. People made excuses like poor protection. But he held the ball too long and had too many deer-caught-in-headlights moments.

Hill was more decisive behind the same line.

People want to blame Nolan -- I'm no fan of Nolan, started calling for his ouster after so many embarrassing games last year and the year before -- but Nolan basically gave Smith every opportunity to take over.

He got rid of Rattay, he got rid of Antonio Bryant after Bryant showed up Smith several times.

Hindsight, we would have been much better off sticking with Rattay and drafting a playmaker like Braylon Edwards and then looking to draft a QB some other year, in a lower round so you don't have to throw big money at a risky prospect.

Now, we still don't have playmakers at the WR spot meaning teams will still blitz the house and take chances leaving their CBs out on an island.

Nolan also didn't bother to draft another QB in the last two years. So we have a 29-year old JTO and a 28 year old Hill and we just signed a 38-year old Jamie Martin?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 15

I was never hyped or anything about Alex Smith but in fairness, he played good in 2006 with Norv Turner. Once Turner left, it was back to square one. A year later, it was back to square one again with Martz.

Smith has never had the chance to learn and memorize the playbook that's he's going to be running for more than one year. He's basically started from scratch four seasons in a row and im sorry but I dont care who you are. No QB will succeed that way.

As for Rodgers, he's in the same system that he was in since day one. He knows the playbook instead and out and just as important, has far more offensive talent than we do. Defense is also better.

What York must do is start from scratch. Fire Nolan and Martz.

Hire a HC who knows what he's doing and stop being cheap. You're not going to win a damn thing with a crappy no-name as a HC who doesnt know what he's doing. After all, Nolan screwed up Smith a year ago by forcing him to play when he shouldnt have. He screwed over the team money wise and stability wise. He screwed over the fans because he doesnt have a clue as to what he's doing. Just look at the defense. Four years later, he's still trying to run the 3-4 despite not having the dominant NT needed to run it. That says it all right there.

Personally, here's what I would do in the off-season -

1) Fire Nolan and Martz
2) Bring back Mike Holmgren to be the HC.
Holmgren has a history of developing QB's, has a history with McCloughan and has a history with the 49ers. He can get the team back to basics.

3) If possible, bring back OC Marty Mohrigweig (sp?) to implement and run the WCO. Yeah, he sucks as a HC but he's a damn good OC and once we get our new QB who's being taught by Holmgren and Marty, we'll easily be in better shape at QB.

4) Trade first round draft pick to CLE for QB Brady Quinn and QB Ken Dorsey.
I only bring back Dorsey because he's friends with Quinn and with him going to a new team, coaching staff, etc. having someone he knows and comfortable with will make the transition easier. At 24, he starts from day one in 2009.

5) Let J.T. O'Sullivan leave as an UFA regardless of how he does. Bye bye.
6) Release QB Alex Smith in February and allow him to at least have a chance to start over. Some may not like this but with his salary, no team is going to trade for him and at 25 (in May) years old, he still has youth on his side which will also help his injuries heal faster. Smith wasnt great or horrible and was solid in 2006 but after Nolan screwed up last season and then hired Martz who brought in J.T., it was pretty much a done deal that Smith was done in SF. Going on IR just puts the exclamation point on it.

7) Sign or trade for a number one WR. My personal pick is Roy Williams who'll probably be franchised in the off-season if he doesnt sign a long term deal before then. If he's allowed to leave as a UFA or gets franchised, I sign him at 12:01am on the first day of FA or trade our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for him. He's a first rounder but with Calvin Johnson being positioned to be the franchise WR, most expect Williams to be traded in the off-season. Highly unlikely that DET will want to pay him what he wants or what the franchise tag would require. He'll be 27 in December and if we were to get him in 2009, he'll be 28 at about the time the season ends. I would say that barring injury, he would have at least five years left in him minimum.

8) Release RB DeShaun Foster, FB Zak Keasey, WR Isaac Bruce, OT Jonas Jennings, ILB Jeff Ulbrich, ILB Takeo Spikes, CB Walt Harris and FS Mark Roman. Time for the young guys to start and play.

9) Go back to the 4-3 defense. On the DL, we would have Justin Smith at DE with Isaac Sopoaga and Kentwan Balmer at DT. We need the second DE. LB wise, we have Willis in the middle with Lawson on the outside. We will need the other OLB if someone we have now cant fill the void. CB's are Clements and Spencer/Smith, SS is M. Lewis and FS is Goldson.

10) If available as an UFA, sign DE Terrell Suggs. He'll be 26 in October, has experience as a DE in the 4-3 and would be a great addition especially as a pass rusher as opposed to Smith who's better in run support than he is in rushing the passer. If this happens, the only question mark defensively would be the second starting OLB. Overall, 10 out of 11 is pretty damn good considering all the changes.

NOTE -

If I cant get Quinn, I would have no problem going after Cardinals QB Matt Leinart and would make the same offer that I would for Quinn. However, I would make damn sure that I get Norm Chow to be the OC. HC wise, I would most likely still sign Holmgren.

This is pretty much just a fantasy of mine but I wouldnt mind reading other people's opinions and thoughts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »