Home

We Need a Petition

This is a discussion on We Need a Petition within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #25
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: We Need a Petition

roadman, you are right on, the old saying "Act like you have done this before". I'm a coach and I tell my kids that all the time. I have no problem with team celebration as long as it not toward the other team. A high-five or pat on the back is cool but to draw attention to ones self has no place in sports. You scored that is enough. That action alone is far better then some dance.
I will say I find the Chad (insert last name here) CPR on the ball was funny. I think of him and other that do that kind of thing as classless where guys like Sanders or Rice were class acts. They knew they were better then anyone else and that was enough for them. The only time it is OK to draw attention to your self is if it is a game winning score. That is the only time fines should not be passed out.
Allowing players to over celebrate sends a bad message to kids who mirror a star player's ever move. That effects all level of sports.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

The point is that true football fans, which most of us are, don't need a 'celebration' to be giddy or ticked off over a touchdown, especially when our team is involved.

Spontaneous celebrations are cool, and I like the high stepping into the end zone OK, but afterward, I like to see teammates jumping on each other in celebration much more than watching some guy do the Cupid Love dance.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #27
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance
The point is that true football fans, which most of us are, don't need a 'celebration' to be giddy or ticked off over a touchdown, especially when our team is involved.

Spontaneous celebrations are cool, and I like the high stepping into the end zone OK, but afterward, I like to see teammates jumping on each other in celebration much more than watching some guy do the Cupid Love dance.
Some of the celebrations the past few years are absurd. I remember TO (in his SF days) running to the star in Dallas, then Emmitt Smith doing that same game out of protest and when TO scored again he tried to celebrate on the star and George Teague flogged him. It's just stupidity and now "OchoCinco" has gone to the extreme of entertainment rather than football.

I loved celebrations like Emmitt's knee-down prayer, TD's Mile-high salute...simple but classy.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

But remember, the rules started coming when things started getting out of hand. Carrying around a sharpie in your uniform? Putting a cell phone in the base of the upright to use in a celebration if you score? They had to draw the line somewhere. Everyone blames the NFL but it's the players own faults. Some things that most think are "ok" fall on the wrong side of the line that was drawn, but you have to be consistent or no rules can be properly enforced.

Just last year Chris Johnson ran to the other team's band and started playing the drums after scoring with the explanation of "I was just having fun". What if the tuba player clocked him in the sternum with his instrument? Is that not considered showing up the fans of the other team?

It's a fine line so the rule just picks a place to draw it and sticks to it. Considering I just care about people scoring and not what they do after, I don't really care where they draw the line but I understand why they do.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
But remember, the rules started coming when things started getting out of hand. Carrying around a sharpie in your uniform? Putting a cell phone in the base of the upright to use in a celebration if you score? They had to draw the line somewhere. Everyone blames the NFL but it's the players own faults. Some things that most think are "ok" fall on the wrong side of the line that was drawn, but you have to be consistent or no rules can be properly enforced.

Just last year Chris Johnson ran to the other team's band and started playing the drums after scoring with the explanation of "I was just having fun". What if the tuba player clocked him in the sternum with his instrument? Is that not considered showing up the fans of the other team?

It's a fine line so the rule just picks a place to draw it and sticks to it. Considering I just care about people scoring and not what they do after, I don't really care where they draw the line but I understand why they do.
Players did cross the line but I still find the celebrations funny.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUnc2321
Some of the celebrations the past few years are absurd. I remember TO (in his SF days) running to the star in Dallas, then Emmitt Smith doing that same game out of protest and when TO scored again he tried to celebrate on the star and George Teague flogged him. It's just stupidity and now "OchoCinco" has gone to the extreme of entertainment rather than football.

I loved celebrations like Emmitt's knee-down prayer, TD's Mile-high salute...simple but classy.
I was a Cowboy fan that wasn't upset with TO standing on the star. I was more upset with our defense giving up touchdowns to the 49ers. I just thought TO incident was funny.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance

So, you didn't like Butch Johnson's Cali quake?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ok, I didn't explain the whole story.

The coach's team lost the fist championship game and the other team taunted the coach's team.

The two teams went up against each other the next year and the coach told his team, if you win the championship, act like you won it before. Do the high fives and the team hugging, but don't rub it in the opposing teams faces like they did to us last year.

Show them how true champions celebrate.

That was his message to the youth, and I don't feel it was a bad message to convey.
No, that was the right message to send.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »