Home

Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back)

This is a discussion on Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 AM   #81
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
Brett monopolizes the offense, that is his problem. People claim he "carried" so many teams, simply because he wouldn't hand the ball off. Nobody has to throw the ball as often as he did, I don't care how good or not good your RB is. So he gets this myth about him that he carried offenses, simply because he threw a lot.

People were trying to say this same crap about him a few years ago when he had his last great season in GB. Blah blah, Brett has no running game around him, he's carrying the offense. Meanwhile he had Ryan Grant, who when he finally started handing the ball off to, became a solid RB for that season.

You can't say the guy has no running game when he never attempted to have one to begin with.
To be fair, up until Ryan Grant became the starter at the Denver game, we didn't have ANY type of running game. Even when we tried to make attempts to run the ball, we weren't having ANY success AT ALL. Anybody that watched the first 8-9 games that year can tell you that we had no running game. Hell, Im pretty sure we passed the ball at least 35+ times per game and attempted no more than....20 rushing attempts and not having no success doing that at all.

Hell, that year we even spent 2 draft picks on RBs including a 2nd rounder on Brandon Jackson to even give us SOME type of running game but even that wasn't working and when we gave up 6th rd pick for Grant early in the season, not ONE person projected or would even think that he would come out of nowhere(since he was buried on the NYG depth chart)and have the 2nd half of the season he had. NO-BOD-Y.

Also, it was the fact that Grant's one cut style fit alot more and better with our Zone Blocking Schemes than Jackson did because the ZBS was a scheme where the RB had to make a QUICK decision and hit the hole fast and Jackson couldn't and wasn't doing that.

So in essence, the first half of that year, we didn't have a running game since we were in a Spread formation 90% of the time, but the 2nd half of that year, he did have a running game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #82
Banned

OVR: 17

He just lost a game for "you" like two seasons ago.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #83
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Al Harris and Mike McCarthy would like a word with you on that game.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 AM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
You're right the teams weren't terrible. Some were really good, some really bad, and the rest were middle of the pack. Throughout all of that though he finished .500 or worse just twice.

I can address the interceptions specifically. Obviously his style of play was going to result in a lot of passes in coverage, but the biggest reason was probably that he just had so many pass attempts.

Favre averaged an interception every 30 attempts.
Now lets compare that to 2 other guys who you never hear people talk about their turnover problems.
Johny Elway - 1 every 32 attempts
Dan Marino - 1 every 33 attempts

The fumbles are another matter and I don't know how they compare to others. Guess he should have held onto the ball tighter.
I'd like to thank you and Professor PackMan for thoroughly answering my question.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
1. The quarterback is not the offensive coordinator.

2. Ryan Grant was a rookie during Favre's last season in GB, so he couldn't have handed it off to him before then. (if your argument is that Grant didn't touch the ball enough, well that was a coaches decision. It wasn't until week 8 that the coaches started putting him in the game)

3. Your argument loses much of its validity because it was proven that when Green Bay had good healthy running backs they used them. The problem was the good players they had were normally hurt.

4. Even if he had handed the ball off more the defense was still middle of the pack.

I guess you probably think Marino was a ball hog too. Since I don't know what your answer is, and to save you from a possible hypocrisy, Marino had I think one 1,000 yard rusher in his career.

For the sake of argument though lets say Favre was a ball hog who refused to hand the ball off as you would claim. You can't argue with the results.

Oh yeah...fun fact of the day. Joe Montana averaged about 28 pass attempts per game on those great 49er teams. Brett Favre has averaged 34 pass attempts per game. 6 more pass attempts per game on vastly inferior teams.
Any QB who doesn't hand the ball off is monopolizing their offense. It doesn't matter who it is. All I'm saying is it's real easy to claim "____ had no running game", when he never attempted to have one to begin with. If you're rather your QB throw the ball 40 times a game, then you're a dumb as **** coach to begin with. If you're a QB and you want to throw the ball that often, you're monopolizing your offense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Al Harris and Mike McCarthy would like a word with you on that game.
Please. Don't even pretend he didn't lose that game.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #87
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

He threw the INT that resulted in the Giants getting in position and kicking the GW FG. But again, as much as you're trying so hard, which I would like to congratulate you for doing BTW, he did NOT lose the game for us. I mean hell, Ben Roethlisberger threw an Interception against the Pats in 04 in which Rodney Harrison ran back for a TD, but I guess he's THE reason the Steelers lost that game too, right?

So again, Al Harris and Mike McCarthy would like a word with you. They're both in the last room on the right, 3 Doors down.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #88
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcurtain311
Any QB who doesn't hand the ball off is monopolizing their offense. It doesn't matter who it is. All I'm saying is it's real easy to claim "____ had no running game", when he never attempted to have one to begin with. If you're rather your QB throw the ball 40 times a game, then you're a dumb as **** coach to begin with. If you're a QB and you want to throw the ball that often, you're monopolizing your offense.
I don't think it's fair to blame all of that on Favre or any QB though. If your team lacks the talent at the running back position you're not going to run the ball effectively and consequently you're not going to run it as much. In Favres case the few times his teams did feature a solid healthy running back they were among the leaders in rushing.

If you have a great quarterback, but mediocre running backs then your offense will be pass heavy. That isn't anyone being a ball hog it's just playing to your strengths.

Quote:
Please. Don't even pretend he didn't lose that game.
He threw an interception in overtime that resulted in NYG winning the game on a field goal. So in that sense you can say he lost it.
Maybe he should have just not scored both of GB's touchdowns so he never would have been in a position to lose it in overtime.

Last edited by KSUowls; 08-11-2009 at 03:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »