Home

Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back)

This is a discussion on Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated (Now officially back) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #65
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: Brett Favre=Mr. Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
But those games did happen. You can't keep discounting them. Just like the one guy said he couldn't discount the games Manning played against the Broncos even though they inflated his TDs from 13 to 22 and only adding one interception (16 to 17).

Idk, I think Favre's a little overrated. He's good, but I think Peyton has/will be a better regular-season QB and I think Roethlisberger has/will be a better playoff QB. That's just my own opinion, though.
You don't discount them, but you also don't just throw them into the pile and forget about it. Those 2 games accounted for .09% of his post season career. That means that in 91% of his post seasons starts he averaged less than an interception a game.

To put it this into perspective. Say there is a guy with 10 career post season games. Through 9 of them he throws 9 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. You would look at that and say well he's pretty amazing in the post season. Now lets add in a 10th game where he throws 1 TD and 5 interceptions. Now with just one game (or 10% of his career) he has gone from a 9:0 TD-int ratio to a 2:1 ratio.

Basically it's not fair to throw in one or two bad games that greatly inflate his interception numbers and then call it a day when those games deviate so far from what we saw in every other game.

Last edited by KSUowls; 08-11-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #66
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
No doubt. What Ben did in the playoffs last season was quite simply doing "favre" better than Favre himself ever did. I'd take Ben over Favre in a second and that has nothing to do with being a homer. Ben has already won more games in his his first 5 seasons than any QB in history has in theirs. And he's already well on his way to racking up more come from behind wins than any QB in history. He's not a numbers guy, he's a W's guy.
I'm a big Big Ben fan and have always thought that he is vastly underrated compared to the rest of the league, but it doesn't hurt your success in the wins column when 3 out of 5 years your team has ranked in the top 10 in rushing and the lowest the defense has ever finished was #11 (the only time outside of the top 5). The other times the defenses were tanked #1 (twice), #2, and #4.

It's obvious that he is a great QB, but saying you would already take him over Favre is a stretch since we have never seen how he would perform if he had to not only be the entire offense but also have to "outscore" his opponents.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 9

This is sorta off-topic, but do y'all think Big Ben will end up in the Hall of Fame? I think he probably will... Seeing as how Bradshaw did.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #68
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1994
This is sorta off-topic, but do y'all think Big Ben will end up in the Hall of Fame? I think he probably will... Seeing as how Bradshaw did.
So long as his career isn't ended prematurely I think he will. Even if he never wins another one he has 2 superbowl rings and is going to win a lot of games.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #69
Rookie

Indeed. Especially if you look at his stat line compared to Bradshaw's. I know we've already established that it's hard to compare QBs from today and the past, but Bradshaw threw six TDs against 24 picks his first year and had he not played in one game in his final year (two TDs, no INTs) he'd have 210 TDs and 210 INTs. He also had four years under 50% completion and never one with 60% (except for the one aforementioned game he played in 1983).

Alright, I'm done with my tangent.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #70
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I'm a big Big Ben fan and have always thought that he is vastly underrated compared to the rest of the league, but it doesn't hurt your success in the wins column when 3 out of 5 years your team has ranked in the top 10 in rushing and the lowest the defense has ever finished was #11 (the only time outside of the top 5). The other times the defenses were tanked #1 (twice), #2, and #4.

It's obvious that he is a great QB, but saying you would already take him over Favre is a stretch since we have never seen how he would perform if he had to not only be the entire offense but also have to "outscore" his opponents.
I guess to that I would say....you don't win without outscoring your opponents right? The Steelers weren't a top running team last season for that SB win, much to the dismay of many of us in Steelers Country.

When the Packers won the SB in the 1996 season they had the #1 defense in the league and finished #4 in rushing.

The next year when they lost to the broncos in the SBthey had the #7 defense in the league, but dropped to #20 in rushing.

The year after that (1998) they had the #4 ranked defense when they finished 11-5, back up to #4 in rushing.

Despite what many would say, Favre had a strong supporting cast when he was winning. He wasn't taking the team on his back and doing it himself.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I guess to that I would say....you don't win without outscoring your opponents right? The Steelers weren't a top running team last season for that SB win, much to the dismay of many of us in Steelers Country.

When the Packers won the SB in the 1996 season they had the #1 defense in the league and finished #4 in rushing.

The next year when they lost to the broncos in the SBthey had the #7 defense in the league, but dropped to #20 in rushing.

The year after that (1998) they had the #4 ranked defense when they finished 11-5, back up to #4 in rushing.

Despite what many would say, Favre had a strong supporting cast when he was winning. He wasn't taking the team on his back and doing it himself.
For sure. No one's ever won without a supporting cast. Sometime's they're really, really good and sometimes they're just kind of good, but there's never just one guy carrying a team to a Super Bowl victory.

Though there are some times when one guy has an outstanding performance in the Super Bowl, I can't really think of any time when one guy carried his team completely throughout the season and the playoffs and then won the championship on their own...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #72
Banned

OVR: 17

Ben is twice the QB Terry Bradshaw was. He's infinitely smarter than him.

I think Ben will make it into the HOF, so long as his offensive line doesn't get him killed. The guy already takes a ridiculous amount of punishment every year, which is another reason why I like him so much. Not many QB's can perform the way he does, taking soooo many hits. Guys like Peyton get rattled by stuff like that.

You have to figure, he has two rings already, and the Steelers have the core of players to be a dominant franchise for years to come still. I could honestly see him finishing his career with 4 rings.

Quote:

Ummm, Ben's had a good number of games where he HAS had to do this. That's why he's so good, because he can do it all. He's there to win games, and he does it right. He tries to manage the offense. If that means he hands it off to win, that's what he does. If that means he has to torch the other team for 3-4 TD's, that's what he does. There isn't anything he can't do as a QB. He's done the statistical fantasy QB stuff, and he's done the winning games stuff. There's no better balance at the QB position in the league than Ben Roethlisberger.

Last edited by steelcurtain311; 08-11-2009 at 01:23 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »