Home

Dan Marino, not John Elway, is the Comeback King

This is a discussion on Dan Marino, not John Elway, is the Comeback King within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Dan Marino, not John Elway, is the Comeback King

both Marino and Elway were both "comeback kings". There is not only one

as well as Joe Montana, Roger the Dodger...

Last edited by ZB9; 08-11-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballSchemer
Good lord your wrong twice about the 4th QTR Comeback King

Marino>Elway>Flutie

ding ding ding!!
I assume you meant to say: Flutie>Marino>Elway?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 42

To be in the running for comeback king your team had to be losing near the end of the game.

Wouldn't a more impressive title be...My team is so far ahead my back up is playing the fourth quarter king?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaduck
To be in the running for comeback king your team had to be losing near the end of the game.

Wouldn't a more impressive title be...My team is so far ahead my back up is playing the fourth quarter king?
The "It doesn't matter if I'm in the game or not because my team is so good" king? Ben, step up to the podium.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 27

Can someone detail some meaningful games in which Dan Marino pulled a comeback, and when I say meaningful I'm talking playoffs.

Elway did that a number of times, and Joe Montana pulled a 92-yarder to win it against an extremely physical Bengal defense in a Super Bowl (SB 23) which trumps all.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

If Marino had Terrel Davis he would've had a ring too.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

It's nice to know Marino is #1. But comparing comebacks is pointless when discussing which quarterback is better. I'm biased as a Dolphin fan and think Marino is better than Elway but there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

All I will say is that Marino never had a 1000 yard rusher until Karim Abdul-Jabaar who sucked. Marino's defenses all ranked in the bottom third of the league except a few times. Montana benefited from having super talented teams in every way. One year they ranked #1 in both total offense and defense and still lost in the first playoff game to Minny. Rings are great but football is the ultimate team game. It's very unfair to say Marino wasn't as good as an Elway or Montana just because of championships. The fact they only had one losing season under Marino is incredible considering how bad some of the Dolphin teams were.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Can someone detail some meaningful games in which Dan Marino pulled a comeback, and when I say meaningful I'm talking playoffs.

Elway did that a number of times, and Joe Montana pulled a 92-yarder to win it against an extremely physical Bengal defense in a Super Bowl (SB 23) which trumps all.
Unfortunately, every time Marino was leading a comeback, his team would screw up. In his rookie season in his first playoff game ever, he played bad for three quarters but got hot in the fourth. Right when he was about to get the ball back and finally beat the Seahawks, Fulton Walker fumbled the kickoff and Marino never got a shot.

Then in 1994, he drove the Fins down field within FG range to beat the Chargers, but Uwe Von Schamann missed the game winning FG.

IIRC, he lead a fourth quarter comeback against Joe Montana's Chiefs in the playoffs sometime in the early 90s.

No one's gonna dispute that Montana was the most clutch QB ever or that John Elway is near the top for what he did to the Browns in 80s. All I'm saying with this topic that when you gave the ball to Dan Marino with one drive to win the game, chances are he'd win it for you. In the playoffs, his team never gave him those opportunities. I remember hearing somewhere that Marino's average comeback was from 14 points back, Montana's was 10 or so, and Elways was around 3 behind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »