Home

Dallas: Time to fire Phillips?

This is a discussion on Dallas: Time to fire Phillips? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Time to fire Phillips?
Yes 33 56.90%
No 17 29.31%
Not sure just yet 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #33
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Dallas: Time to fire Phillips?

The Cowboys shouldn't and won't fire Wade Phillips; at least, not at this juncture.

The team is 3-2 in early October. They may not be a model organization given that not-quite-model owner Jerry Jones is at the helm, but there's still plenty of football to be played and there's no reason to hit the panic button yet. Last time I checked, no one won a championship in October. The Cowboys have some nice players on this team to rally around, and if they find any consistency (they being both the collective of players and the coaching staff) then they could yet be a serious contender late in the year.

That said, if Phillips doesn't at least lead the Cowboys to a playoff victory I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he wasn't retained (if I'm not mistaken, his contract expires after this season, and as such we don't need to fire him to get rid of him).

I also do think that there needs to be someone to reel in Jerry Jones' freewheeling spirit a bit.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #34
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
Clearly you didnt read my first post I said "fire GM Jerry".Makes sense to me.
I read and replied to your post to BK saying he voted NO b/c they need to fire Jerry first, which didn't make any sense. This one:

Quote:
I get it you're not a football fan and dont like to see well run organizations.Anything is better than this.Besides they don't have a head Coach Now anyways...
After his response that post your reply was "Then I guess we agree..." so I don't see what you're now saying to me.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #35
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Too early. I hate in-season firings, I don't think Cowboys would improve with Phillips being gone right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbently
Too early. I hate in-season firings, I don't think Cowboys would improve with Phillips being gone right now.
Absolutely.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #37
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I read and replied to your post to BK saying he voted NO b/c they need to fire Jerry first, which didn't make any sense. This one:

After his response that post your reply was "Then I guess we agree..." so I don't see what you're now saying to me.
I'm saying that Jerry should go to as GM but sice he is the owner the next best thing is to fire Wade.thats all.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 10

After the season, yes. Right now I don't think it makes any sense to fire a coach during the season.
Rangers
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 27

I don't know what the heck the Cowboys issue is. Going to the wire with a team like the Chiefs is bad business.

I don't think you fire Wade now, but at the end of the year there will be some consideration. I just think this team should be performing better. They're missing some kind of spark. I can't put my finger on it, but a lot of times it's a matter of what type of commander is at the helm.

That said, even Bill Parcells could only sneak this team into a Wild Card and that's it so there are bigger problems there, and it could be partly Jerry Jones. It's tough for me to say that though, because he did so much to build the Cowboys, yet he now might be a chief reason for why they've declined over the years.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 10-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #40
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
I'm saying that Jerry should go to as GM but sice he is the owner the next best thing is to fire Wade.thats all.
And all I said was that your response to BK made no sense. You saying Jerry should go means your response to him made even less sense... and you've since replied that you agree with him. I don't know why you replied to me at all after that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »