Home

Mike Holmgren is in Cleveland with his agent (Deal agreed to).

This is a discussion on Mike Holmgren is in Cleveland with his agent (Deal agreed to). within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #57
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Mike Holmgren is in Cleveland with his agent.

Mortenson just reported on Sportscenter that Holmgren will accept the job tomorrow.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #58
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

Supposedly the deal may end up being $50 million over 10 years...

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #59
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Wow, that is alot of money.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #60
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

• Turning the old line from "The Godfather'' on its head, sounds to me like the Seahawks made Mike Holmgren an offer they were pretty sure he'd refuse. According to the sources I talked to, Seattle really had no interest in vesting anyone with full-fledged football czar powers. But the Seahawks knew that their former head coach wanted something similar to the total control he could get in Cleveland by just saying yes to the desperate Browns.

In Seattle, Holmgren might have run the team's football operations, but he still would have reported to Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke, owner Paul Allen's man at the top of the team's flow chart, and it likely would have been made clear to him that he had to keep head coach Jim Mora in place. Thus, the Seahawks job would have been something less than total control for Holmgren, and when you factor in that Cleveland is willing to pay at a salary level that Seattle had no interest in matching (a reported $50 million over 10 years has been floated), is it any wonder the two sides agreed to not reunite?

The key phrase in the statement released by Leiweke was this: "Mike has declined our offer to rejoin the team given the structure we proposed.'' Whatever that structure entailed, it didn't include as much decision-making power (or salary) as Holmgren can get in Cleveland, a job he'll likely now accept by Monday. And no, Eric Mangini shouldn't consider that development good news for his job security. Mangini is almost certainly a one-and-done head coach in Cleveland with Holmgren coming aboard.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0aIqpYvTA
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Yeah. You guys are gettin a good one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #62
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
Well you're agreeing with me then. I'm not saying not to use him AT ALL on offense, I'm just saying don't make him a starter.
Yep I was agreeing with you... just clarifying that one point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
• Turning the old line from "The Godfather'' on its head, sounds to me like the Seahawks made Mike Holmgren an offer they were pretty sure he'd refuse. According to the sources I talked to, Seattle really had no interest in vesting anyone with full-fledged football czar powers. But the Seahawks knew that their former head coach wanted something similar to the total control he could get in Cleveland by just saying yes to the desperate Browns.

In Seattle, Holmgren might have run the team's football operations, but he still would have reported to Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke, owner Paul Allen's man at the top of the team's flow chart, and it likely would have been made clear to him that he had to keep head coach Jim Mora in place. Thus, the Seahawks job would have been something less than total control for Holmgren, and when you factor in that Cleveland is willing to pay at a salary level that Seattle had no interest in matching (a reported $50 million over 10 years has been floated), is it any wonder the two sides agreed to not reunite?

The key phrase in the statement released by Leiweke was this: "Mike has declined our offer to rejoin the team given the structure we proposed.'' Whatever that structure entailed, it didn't include as much decision-making power (or salary) as Holmgren can get in Cleveland, a job he'll likely now accept by Monday. And no, Eric Mangini shouldn't consider that development good news for his job security. Mangini is almost certainly a one-and-done head coach in Cleveland with Holmgren coming aboard.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0aIqpYvTA
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Holmgren had all the power in Seattle and they ended up stripping him of it. Didn't really see that one having much legs anyway.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #63
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Well, what happened was they gave him the option. They said he could be coach OR gm. He chose coach. They just felt it was too much for one man to do.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #64
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
Well, what happened was they gave him the option. They said he could be coach OR gm. He chose coach. They just felt it was too much for one man to do.
Right... so why were there rumors of him going back to Seattle? That's what I don't understand. He didn't have the control he wanted there before and left, and it's not like that was a decade ago.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »