Home

The best leader of men in the NFL...

This is a discussion on The best leader of men in the NFL... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #49
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The best leader of men in the NFL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Offense - if we're talking QB's then i'm going with Drew Brees or Philip Rivers.

Defense - Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins. It's a toss up between the two and I don't think anybody else even comes close.

Rivers is a good one. Very fiery competitor. Talks way more trash to the other team than most QBs. Doesn't play scared or avoid contact. Somehow found a way to make that mangled 3 quarter release work in the NFL.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #50
MVP

skydog71's Arena

OVR: 12

Heh, this is a funny thread. When I think of "leader of men," I think of military commanders. The most famous military commanders of the 20th century came from WWII, and Dwight D. Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of the side that won. By definition, Eisenhower was the ultimate "leader of men."

I see Manning as being more of a general, a military tactician who would thrive in large-scale combat situations. Ray Lewis would be more like a sergeant, a platoon leader. Lewis doesn't strike me as the type that would study a great deal of military theory and history.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #51
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Just want to put my 2 cents in about the Peyton Manning thing.

How can you not consider Manning as a leader, just because he doesn't scream in people's facemasks does not mean he isn't a leader. Manning is a leader, he just translates it differently. "The Best Leader Of Men In The NFL". Change it too "The Best Vocal Leader In The NFL".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 15

Let me put the Manning criticism differently: Of Peyton Manning's innumerable strengths as a QB, leadership is not his primary strength. His accuracy, decision making, and ability to mindrape defenders presnap are all much greater strengths in Peyton's game. Just as a QB's number of championships =/= leadership, so too does skill as a QB =/= leadership.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #53
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
Heh, this is a funny thread. When I think of "leader of men," I think of military commanders. The most famous military commanders of the 20th century came from WWII, and Dwight D. Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of the side that won. By definition, Eisenhower was the ultimate "leader of men."
You really should have read the whole thread because I addressed this very issue. Leaders of men lead from the ground. They inspire. This is NOT what Eisenhower did. He was a tactician, like Manning. He was not a leader of men he was a leader of the organization, his orders followed because of protocol not respect. Patton on the other hand was that rare officer that was physically aggressive in combat. He would better have illustrated your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog71
I see Manning as being more of a general, a military tactician who would thrive in large-scale combat situations. Ray Lewis would be more like a sergeant, a platoon leader. Lewis doesn't strike me as the type that would study a great deal of military theory and history.
Flatly you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I would gladly put Lewis' knowledge of the game against ANYONE including Manning. You assume too much.

And for the record wars are not won by the stars and the brass, it's the privates and sergeants that risk their ***. Know that.

I know certain people will always put guys like Manning and Brady on a pedestal. If they had the kind of physical aggressiveness of a Tebow or a Roethlisberger (no homerism, I picked a guy I hate and a guy I like) then you'd have a point. But Manning and Brady lack that warrior mentality. When the heavy rush comes, they flop on the ground to avoid contact rather than fight back. That says everything about their warrior credentials.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #54
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Let me put the Manning criticism differently: Of Peyton Manning's innumerable strengths as a QB, leadership is not his primary strength. His accuracy, decision making, and ability to mindrape defenders presnap are all much greater strengths in Peyton's game. Just as a QB's number of championships =/= leadership, so too does skill as a QB =/= leadership.
This pretty much sums up Manning as far as 'leadership'.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #55
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

So when do we put an end to the agenda? Mods, any help?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #56
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
So when do we put an end to the agenda? Mods, any help?
Crying to the refs?

Is that you Tom Brady? Come on, you can tell us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »