Home

Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?

This is a discussion on Is Michael Vick a 'bust'? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?
Yes 45 39.13%
No 70 60.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Is Michael Vick a 'bust'?

Absolutely. Regressed as his career continued. Spent 2 years away from the game and in the big house. Now the #2 qb behind Kevin Kolb. A situational player at best now.

When you draft a guy at the top of the draft this is not how you envision their career playing out.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Actually 37-27 is a pretty good record for any QB. Name the #1 picks with better records. Earlier you also tried to say the running game was good bc of Dunn/Duckett when the entire world knows that the entire team's running game was good bc of Vick, and that includes Dunn and Duckett. The Falcons went to the NFC championship and won a playoff game in GB before they got all the pieces in place, and that was bc of Vick.

I don't know if you really like Vick or not, but this thread reads as more of a statement than a question... followed by attempts to skew things to support the direction you already wanted to the poll to go. Bottom line is, as a football player he definitely was not a bust, unless your standards were the revolutionary best football player ever that the hype had him becoming when he got out of college. Compared to real life examples, he was very productive before screwing his life up.
Was there any point in time where you would say Vick was a top 10 QB in the NFL? Maybe that 2004 season, but outside of that, I don't think so.

And sorry if it comes off like I have an agenda, just trying to create discussion. This is a discussion forum, isn't it? I got nothing personal against Vick, I live in VA and down here people still look at him as a god. But like others have said, when you draft a guy #1, you don't envision him being in prison 6-7 years later. To me that plays a part into determining whether he's a bust or not.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 05-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Its hard to argue that someone is not a bust when they spend two years in prison during their prime playing years. I think he is talented, and can possibly be a serviceable QB in the league, but he missed the boat on what he could have been.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Also, people forget before the whole dogfighting thing came down, there was debate in Atlanta (not necessarily in the front office, but in general) about who the better QB for the team was, Matt Schaub or Vick. Vick was definitely on the hot seat in ATL even before the charges came down, is what I'm saying.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Also, people forget before the whole dogfighting thing came down, there was debate in Atlanta (not necessarily in the front office, but in general) about who the better QB for the team was, Matt Schaub or Vick. Vick was definitely on the hot seat in ATL even before the charges came down, is what I'm saying.
OK and what happened with Schaub? He was traded. That tells me he wasnt on that hot of a seat.

I like Schaub and think he's a real good QB but he has yet to lead his team to the playoffs with a teams that in my opinion are better then the ones Micheal Vick were on.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

14 people voted yes? Seriously?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Absolutely. Regressed as his career continued. Spent 2 years away from the game and in the big house. Now the #2 qb behind Kevin Kolb. A situational player at best now.

When you draft a guy at the top of the draft this is not how you envision their career playing out.
This. He has definitely had a questionable career, especially considering all the hubbub over him while he was at VT. And to add on to what bk said no successful #1 pick should be sitting behind another QB. Ever (well unless they're 35+).

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
But did that translate to wins? At times yes, but for the most part, no. 37-27 isn't that great of a record for a #1 pick at QB.

Yes it is.

Vick has the second highest winning percentage of any #1 drafted quarterback since John Elway (behind Peyton Manning).

Are you calling Troy Aikman, Eli Manning, Drew Bledsoe, and Carson Palmer busts too?

Quote:
That debate had nothing to do with quarterbacking ability.

Basically the argument appears to be that he's a bust because he went to prison over an issue that a variety of people are very sensitive to. If he had his leg bitten off by a shark in the summer of 2007 instead of going to prison, this thread doesn't exist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »