Home

the beginning of the end?

This is a discussion on the beginning of the end? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: the beginning of the end?

Slowly losing their grip? Perhaps... depending on what you think is their grip. Like the CNET article said, EA really didn't have much competition last year. So, yes, they will lose that ridiculous market share they had last year. However, I really don't see any way that 2K3 sells more than half of what Madden sells. EA is certainly not losing their grip on anything... they're way to smart for that. And they believe that competition is healthy for them. It's like the old addage says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Why would you give the "Michael Jackson treatment" to a game that has dominated the market for 10 years? There sure isn't much reason when you own 23% of the PC/Console gaming (not sports gaming) market and your next closest competitor has about 6.5%.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #10
Rookie

I hope Madden gets out sold. That will light a fire under them and they will put out a Revolutionary product next year! You don't stay the king for over 10 years and not put out a good product. Every once in a while Madden gets beat one year and then comes back to retake the crown. Madden has been here before only to rise again!

I would really like to see a study on how many people buy both games.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Carter the problem with the argument however is that you can combine all the diehards on the internet, and they are only about 10% of total sales. Madden will sell and will probably keep the sales throne, while 2k3 will have more in game content, and for the most part perhaps isl slightly the overall better game. We shall see. I think most companies were banking on the onliine play for this year. You can see that especially with Microsoft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #12
MVP

FloridaGators's Arena

OVR: 11

i doubt ea will change madden carter...it'll still blow nfl 2k3 out of the water as far as sales go.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:55 PM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Ok Everybody. MADDEN WILL NOT BE OUTSOLD THIS YEAR!

I plan on buying only 2k3 but I know this because Madden has name recognition. this forum doesnt represent the buying public. We are a small group and even though some or most of us may prefer 2k3, most people buy madden because it has been good in the past, is good now, and they recognize the game.

The same thing goes for Nba live and Triple play. They have put out crappy games the last few years but people recognize their names and buy any way.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:59 PM   #14
Banned

Dude..do you realize that if NFL 2k3 sells half of what Madden sells than that is a HUGE loss for EA. Their sales projections for Madden are astronomical. They have a huge quota they must reach. In order for EA to be a factor they must completely re-do their player models...pretty much the same player models for 3 years and this time NFL 2k3 has passed them up.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
Banned

Hey LBZ..there was a time I thought Mike Tyson was invincable but even he got knocked out.....Why do you think EA will retain the throne indefinitely??? Everyone gets beat one day..just a fact....EA will get beat too...maybe not this year but if VC makes similar strides next year its VC as the new champ.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2002, 04:02 PM   #16
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Wayne, I dont think 2k3 will sell half of what Madden will. just ask most employyes at EB or gamestop and they will tell you more people are asking about madden. I remember when I was preordering 2k3, 5 or 6 people were telling me that Madden was gonna be bettter and they hadnt seen in pics or movies. They were just going off of the past and name recognition.

The casual gamer is gonna buy Madden and that is where most of the sales come from.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »