Home

the beginning of the end?

This is a discussion on the beginning of the end? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
the beginning of the end?

Is this year the beginning of the end for madden games as we know them? look at all the people that have been buying madden their whole lives and this year are going with nfl2k3 instead. Slowly(very slowly) but also very surely madden is losing its grip on the best nfl videogame trophy. I know that I will probably never stop buying madden, but there are people who will. and why? lack of change. The game needs an update in all areas, we need a new game. we need a madden that is different, that doesn't feel the same as it did in madden 95. i still enjoy the game, but by just browsing different message boards there are many people who are either not getting madden or are returning madden. and why? lack of change. pure and simple, madden doesn't need a facelift, it needs the michael jackson treatment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: the beginning of the end?

We shall see what the sales numbers say.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I dont think i would go quite that far. We can all argue on this board about which is better all day long. It really is a matter of preference i think. To me the more sports game the better.

Anyway, for arguments sake lets say that everyone here agrees that 2k3 is the better game. We are only a small group of the buying public.

You know what, Madden will still outsell it. Call EA whatever you want, just remember they sale more games than anyone and that is the bottom line in their business.

Nothing against Seaga and its series. EA just flat out sells a ton of games.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:38 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

compare sales numbers this year to last year. you'll see a decrease, and its going to continue, imo, until ea changes. seriously, visit ign, gamespot, sportsreviewers, operationsports and check out the forums. there are many lifelong madden diehards that are skipping it for 2k3 this year.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:40 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

maybe they will see a decrease maybe they wont. only time will tell on that. but there is no way sega or anyone else is going to sale more copies than EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2002, 03:40 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Agreed that, in the past, Madden has been unstoppable in terms of sales. Until this year, though, you could have said the same thing about Triple Play, NBA Live and NHL. I know TP was outsold this year (by a wide margin), so maybe the tide is finally starting to turn against EA's games. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Triple play was terrible. I think most baseball games were better than it. How did that happen?
Old 08-13-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
Bacon

CM1847's Arena

OVR: 19

Madden has been challanged, and beaten, before. NFL 2K was better than Madden that year, according to most. And the first two Gamedays were up to the challange of going against MAdden. But Madden came through with a huge change(complete graphic overhaul and franchise mode). Even if Madden becomes the 2nd best game next year(this year it's too early to tell, so who knows), Madden won't go away. It will still outsell, and eventually EA will come up with something to get the game back on top. Just a hunch, but I think future Madden's will get into the ownership aspects for the franchise(crossing into the text games, with ticket prices, ect.). If they don't do that, it will be something else, the game gets a graphic overhaul every 3 years or so, there's no reason to not expect that in 2004 or 2005. Madden is not dead, it probably never will be dead, it will keep improving, I just hope the 2K series keeps up with EA on this one, competition benefits the consumer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »