Home

Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

This is a discussion on Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?
Definitely. 46 18.11%
Maybe, give him a ring and he's in. 81 31.89%
No and I don't think he ever will be. 127 50.00%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Is Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
Fair enough. I guess I am a little bias because I love the guy, but I still think he is in the conversation.

Would you consider him a HOFer if he won a Super Bowl?
as in if he won before this season, or if his team wins this season?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #66
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
To all the people who say no; please explain your opinion as to why you feel that way
People have already explained. McNabbs been very good, but just doesn't pass that HOF eye test. When you say the name Donovan McNabb, do I think Hall of Fame? For me and the others, the answer is no. Taking stats out of it, he just doesn't feel like a HOF player for someone who's followed his whole career.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 11-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #67
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
as in if he won before this season, or if his team wins this season?
If he were to win one at some point in the future. Like leave the Redskins, go to the Vikings, win the Super Bowl in 2012 or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
People have already explained. McNabbs been very good, but just doesn't pass that HOF eye test. When you say the name Donovan McNabb, do I think Hall of Fame? For me and the others, the answer is no. Taking stats out of it, he just doesn't feel like a HOF player for someone who's followed his whole career.

Yea, I see where you are coming from. And that feeling of "he doesn't feel like a HOFer" comes from his tendency to show no urgency, and always smile, and things like that. Like you see Brady and Manning and others orchestrating a symphony out there, while McNabb doesn't, even if they have similar stats (hypothetical situation)

Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The15thunter
right, i understand that, but since you can't really swap receivers for him, we have to look at his career as it stands. and as it stands, most of us say he isn't a hall of famer. he doesn't have impressive stats, his accolades aren't awe-inspiring, he doesn't have any championships, and he doesn't pass most of our eye tests.
This is what I was going to say in the OP. He has a very good argument against his stats. He never had the receivers aside from the short TO era. But can you really put him in the Hall just based on the fact that he didn't have any weapons? Can you put him in and say 'well if he had a legit top 10 receiver for most of his career, his numbers would be far better?' I don't think so. You have to look at how his career stands right now, no what if's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Was there ever a point in his career where he was unquestionably acknowledged as a Top 5 QB in the league?
That's another good point and the answer is no. In 2004 I probably would've put him in the top 5, but he was never consistently an elite quarterback in the NFL. Injuries also played a part in that.

The problem I have with him is that, when I watch him play, I don't think I'm watching an all time great player. He just doesn't have that effect on me. Take Brady or Manning for example, it's completely obvious when you watch them play, you're watching one of the greatest QB's to ever step foot in the NFL. They have that 'awe inspiring' effect on you. McNabb doesn't. When I watch him I think 'very good', not 'all time great'.

If he wins a ring, I think he'll probably be in, but he won't be a 1st ballot.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 11-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Jim Kelly was the leader of a team with a revolutionary offense that appeared in four consecutive Super Bowls. Regardless that he never won one of those four games, no other team in the history of the league has done that, as far as I know.

McNabb doesn't have an accomplishment that matches that.
If McNabb had taken a team to 4 straight Super Bowls we wouldn't be questioning him going into the HOF. However he didn't and we are.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #70
MVP

re: mcnabb winning a title in the future
the only way he'd get my vote in this instance is if he leads the team, and plays a lights-out season or postseason that makes you say "wow, that was good." basically, what kurt warner did in his last two years, mcnabb would need to do for that season for me to seriously consider him.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #71
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I'd say no he's not.

But then again, I'm probably the only one who thinks Black Quarterbacks are overrated. And FWIW, I am black so please don't try and use the race card on me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #72
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I'd say no he's not.

But then again, I'm probably the only one who thinks Black Quarterbacks are overrated. And FWIW, I am black so please don't try and use the race card on me
overrated how? they're usually not very good, so it's hard for them to be overrated.

i'm black, as well.

only black hall of fame quarterback i think there's ever been is warren moon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »