Home

Blaine Gabbert vs. Cam Newton

This is a discussion on Blaine Gabbert vs. Cam Newton within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Gabbert-Newton who should be drafted first?
Blaine Gabbert 58 52.73%
Cam Newton 52 47.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Blaine Gabbert vs. Cam Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Brett Favre says hello.
I thought that stuff came later in his career. His knock early on was that he partied and drank too much. That's why Atlanta traded him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I hate to say it but his evaluation is usually on point. I been reading PFW guides since the mid 90's and going back his stuff is really on point.

PS

I am scared of one year starters that can't stay out of drama.
Have you ever seen one that harsh from him? I mean, if you click on the link, he does have some positives that he points out. But I almost feel like he has something personal against the guy reading that excerpt I quoted.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 03-30-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #34
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

There are plenty QB's that's have had some sense of success that at one point or another in their careers fit that mental evaluation. If he can succeed all his "bad traits" will be what people praise him for ala the aforementioned Brett Favre.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #35
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I more a less made the Ryan comparison from an arm and body stand point. I should have said a mix between Matt Ryan and Alex Smith, but I did mention he could end up being another Alex Smith. For the record I'm not big on Gabbert either.
Yeah, you're right, it's not like you said he'll be the next Manning or Ryan.

Someone somewhere (can't remember who) made a good point about Gabbert. If you look at the QB's that came before him in this offense (Smith, Daniel), they lit defenses and put up big numbers. I know Gabbert didn't have much of a running game as a crutch and no big time receivers, but his numbers were way too pedestrian for that type of offense.

But like BK said, Mayock likes him, so something may be there.

I remember half way through last season, I was telling my roommate how Gabbert's stock had sunk through the floor and he'd be a 3rd or 4th round pick at best if he declared early. Now, Blaine could be the #1 overall selection in the draft. Blows my mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #36
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Going into 2011, my top quarterbacks in the draft were (leaving out undeclared) Mallett, Newton, Ponder, Stanzi, Dalton, Locker. Notice anyone missing?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

I wouldn't use a top 5 pick on either of them, but I'd take Gabbert over Newton.

Then again, I'd also wait for the late 1st, into the 2nd or even 3rd round to take a QB since there are a few guys that could be pretty good that aren't valued that high.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I thought that stuff came later in his career. His knock early on was that he partied and drank too much. That's why Atlanta traded him.

Have you ever seen one that harsh from him? I mean, if you click on the link, he does have some positives that he points out. But I almost feel like he has something personal against the guy reading that excerpt I quoted.

I never read anything as harsh as the Cam evaluation. PFW usually give an in depth history from high school to college. PFW give the positive and negative. PFW was critical of Ryan Leaf, Moss, and Talib but never to this extent.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #39
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Sure because your a football scout and your opinion thus trumps all others right?

Anyways thats who I see when I see Gabbert his build, body language, and skill set reminds me of a more athletic, but less polished Matt Ryan.
He doesn't have Ryans body language. In college Ryan had supreme confidence an was never rattled. Gabbert looks scared an lost half the time.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #40
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

Personally, I'd take neither with a high pick. I'd take Newton late in the 1st because he could have time to sit and someday become a legitimate QB (same place I'd put Locker). Blaine Gabbert reminds me too much of Alex Smith. Sure, perhaps under the right circumstances he could be a solid QB (as Smith could have if he didn't have different OC's every year), but he's not worth it in the first round at all. Maybe a bad team without a QB would take him with their second pick, but this draft is too loaded in D-linemen among other players to take a mediocre QB over one of them high in the first round.

Plus, if you're terrible again, you have a shot at Ryan Luck next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »