Home

Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no piercings

This is a discussion on Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no piercings within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared
In my opinion what Richardson is saying here is that he has a lot of Investors, possible investors in his Business and by telling Cam they like to see a certain image portrayed it would be in his best interests to try and maintain a "clean image" for the sake of Business and trying to appease those investors.

Which is fine because in all reality there are so many Businesses that ask their employees to not display tattoos in the work place, and if they are males to not wear piercings to work.

Are Richardson's views outdated? Possibly especially with so many players in the NFL having tattoos. Even guys that he's currently employing. He signed Jeremy Shockey who has sleeves running on both arms, and also Steve Smith who has some ink as well... I don't see anything wrong with asking Cam to try and maintain a certain image.. as Cam previously does not have any tattoos, or piercings. If he told him if you get any tattoos then we will not Draft you... that would be wrong.
I agree

1234char
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no piercings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
This is dumb. Investors? Really? You really think they give a hell about the players so long as the team is racking in the money?

The qbs get different dress codes now? I wonder if it is a qb specific thing. (pretty much is)
Have to look at the situation a little closer, Charlotte is a very White Collar, corporate endorsed city. With the big businesses in that area being Bank of America, Wachovia (Wells Fargo), Duke Energy.

These are most likely the guys who pay for the Permanent Seating Licenses (PSLs) and Luxury Suites in Richardson's stadium. So if these guys want the face of the franchise to portray a certain image, Richardson is going to run his team in a way to make sure these guys like the product on the field and to ensure they keep giving him their money.

Do I like this no? But that's just how Corporate America works. I do find it highly hypocritical though that before Cam Newton was Drafted who was considered to be the face of the Carolina Panthers? (and still probably is) Steve Smith.. and his image hasn't been squeaky clean.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Anyone who has made enough money to substantially invest in a football team is bright enough to know that an NFL locker room is a world totally unlike any corporate environment in which slacks, and a neatly groomed appearance is a must. This is an arena where machismo and big personalities of every flavor go into making a team. If I were the owner of a football team, ideally, I would want everyone to present a certain professional image, like Michael Jordan, who always rocked the top tier suits, but I can't see ever taking the step of telling a player that he can't even get an ear ring.

But, hey, at the end of the day, it's Jerry Richardson's team and if he's got that kind of juice, then more power to him. He drafted the right guy in Cam, because he's always been clean cut any time I've seen in (save for that mugshot). It's still just attire, though. Michael Vick's character behind the scenes in Atlanta didn't suddenly shift when he went from rockin' the low cut Ceasar with the waves, to the cornrows and tattoos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

If I work for a Boss and that Boss tells me to cut my hair because it is long and to take out my earrings and hide my tats. I do what my Boss tells me. Simple as that.

Yankees have a code of appearance and nobody has a problem with that, don't see why this is any different.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 08-24-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
If I work for a Boss and that Boss tells me to cut my hair because it is long and to take out my earrings and hide my tats. I do what my Boss tells me. Simple as that.

Yankees have a code of appearance and nobody has a problem with that, don't see why this is any different.
Or else what your boss fires you? I want to see carolina fire Cam Newton. Hell I would dare them to fine Cam for an earring. LMAO.

And the Yankees is a team uniform rule. Noone gets facial hair (even though at times it slides). You dont see Jeter with the only clean face cause he is the face of the team.

In the end its not like the boss threatened his career over this so whatever. I would love to see how Carolina reacted if he got ink all on his arms and earnings. I wonder if the Bucs told Josh Freeman the same thing.

Come to think of it, not many qbs have tats and earrings...
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

If Cam Newton goes out and decides to get a few Tattoos tonight, let's face it Jerry Richardson is not going to demand he be released... probably nothing happens.

All I think Richardson meant was that he'll have more potential Endorsement opportunities if he stays as he is. Because of who has the biggest potential to land the most endorsement deals. QBs with a perceived clean cut image.. The Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovan McNabb, Aaron Rodgers... even Eli Manning is getting a bunch of recognition (Citizen Eco Drive, Oreos.)

If Newton turns out to be a super star he's going to get Endorsement opportunities regardless of how many tats he has. Richardson just feels he can be more marketable with a clean image.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Or else what your boss fires you? I want to see carolina fire Cam Newton. Hell I would dare them to fine Cam for an earring. LMAO.

And the Yankees is a team uniform rule. Noone gets facial hair (even though at times it slides). You dont see Jeter with the only clean face cause he is the face of the team.

In the end its not like the boss threatened his career over this so whatever. I would love to see how Carolina reacted if he got ink all on his arms and earnings. I wonder if the Bucs told Josh Freeman the same thing.

Come to think of it, not many qbs have tats and earrings...
From what I understand, they had the discussion before Newton was drafted. Primarily because they want him to be the face of the team, like Jeter is for the Yankees.

They probably wouldn't react at all if Newton got tats and piercings. Look at Shockey and Steve Smith, they aren't getting released any time soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #16
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

My reaction is...Or What? Is Richardson going to cut Cam Newton. I can see a dress code, I can see limiting facial hair, requiring Hair Cuts a la the military. Even saying no piercings on Panther grounds during Panther functions. Can Richardson or any owner really dictate what a player can do with his free time in the off-season.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »