Home

NFL Off Topic

This is a discussion on NFL Off Topic within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2022, 12:43 AM   #35913
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NFL Off Topic

The structure of the contract doesn’t make much sense. Most of these large deals have very little as salary in year 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-04-2022, 06:21 AM   #35914
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
@JeffDarlington

I'm told NFL is appealing for an indefinite suspension that would be a minimum of one year. But perhaps more significant given the structure of Watson's contract, source tells me the NFL's appeal will also include a monetary fine. Money is now a significant part of the equation.

I just read that the NFL will be appealing the suspension to... themselves. They’re not going to arbitration with a third party. The league, specifically Goodell, will decide if they want to make it a longer suspension and I guess impose a monetary fine as well.

So what was the point of an independent judge issuing a ruling if the plaintiff (NFL) can appeal and issue their own judgement?

Sounds like it can then be fought over in court, but the CBA language says the NFL’s rulings are full, final and complete. And by the time it’s sorted out, the season could be over. I’m sure Watson would go to the exempt list while it’s being dragged out — effectively being sidelined for the year, which is what the NFL is pushing for anyway. Plus if they don’t consider time he’s sat out in the meantime as time served.

If this is really how it goes down, I echo CM Hooe’s sentiments that it appeared nice the NFLPA had some form of say in protecting its members from the NFL’s broad power of determining fines and suspension. Now it appears it was just window dressing. The NFL will bring the hammer down once it gauges how well the terms were accepted by the league, players, media, and public. House wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-04-2022, 07:51 AM   #35915
MVP

steelerfan's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I just read that the NFL will be appealing the suspension to... themselves. They’re not going to arbitration with a third party. The league, specifically Goodell, will decide if they want to make it a longer suspension and I guess impose a monetary fine as well.

So what was the point of an independent judge issuing a ruling if the plaintiff (NFL) can appeal and issue their own judgement?

Sounds like it can then be fought over in court, but the CBA language says the NFL’s rulings are full, final and complete. And by the time it’s sorted out, the season could be over. I’m sure Watson would go to the exempt list while it’s being dragged out — effectively being sidelined for the year, which is what the NFL is pushing for anyway. Plus if they don’t consider time he’s sat out in the meantime as time served.

If this is really how it goes down, I echo CM Hooe’s sentiments that it appeared nice the NFLPA had some form of say in protecting its members from the NFL’s broad power of determining fines and suspension. Now it appears it was just window dressing. The NFL will bring the hammer down once it gauges how well the terms were accepted by the league, players, media, and public. House wins.
If Watson appeals Goodell's ruling, an injunction will likely be placed on the suspension meaning Watson can play until it plays itself out in court.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #35916
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Yeah, I forgot there was drama between Houston and Watson before all the allegations hit. I was thinking they had him sit out to avoid the distraction of the allegations. I imagine CLE considered a scenario like this and determined it was worth the media frenzy with no added drama between team and player like there was in Houston.

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-04-2022, 04:35 PM   #35917

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm rooting for worst case for Cleveland, because why not?
Old 08-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #35918
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Goodell appointed a separate entity to hear the NFL’s appeal. Former AG of NJ, he’s worked closely with the league and is currently on the league’s diversity advisory committee. I’m glad they didn’t decide to hear their own appeal, though you could say there’s pretty obvious conflicts of interest with the person they picked. Makes me think the suspension will be increased, but not to the “indefinite” limit the league allegedly was pushing for.

In other news, there’s live football tonight...

Quote:
Old 08-04-2022, 09:46 PM   #35919
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I'm rooting for worst case for Cleveland, because why not?
The Baker Mayfield curse

Should have never traded him
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 PM   #35920

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
The Baker Mayfield curse

Should have never traded him
He wasn't going to play for them again and he made no secret of that. What other choice did they have?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »