Home

Priest Holmes HOFer?

This is a discussion on Priest Holmes HOFer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
Rookie

JRitch12's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Priest Holmes HOFer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Guess it's just me but I think Holmes was better then Davis
Agreed.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #26
Future EA Game Changer

ImaGamer_OS's Arena

OVR: 0

I have a healthy amount of respect for Priest Holmes, I believe he was every bit as good as Marshall Faulk (my favourite player of all time) was in his prime for a stretch there (2001-03). That aside, Terrell Davis in that three years (1996-98) he ruled the NFL was special. The 1998 season was as good as I've ever seen by ANY NFL player in my 25 years watching the game. He won everything and posted 2008 rushing yards. Terrell Davis carried John Elway to two Super Bowl rings in three seasons (no disrespect to the Hall Of Fame QB).

Terrell Davis' injury is one that irks me even to this day. We were robbed the chance of seeing a guy who could have rivaled ANY running back to have put on a helmet.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #27
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I take issue with the "system RB" argument for T.D. in Denver.

If you watched him play, you could tell so clearly that even disregarding the system, the dude was unbelievably special.

Just an awesome, awesome player. That's why I love watching Arian Foster play. Closest thing we have to T.D. nowadays.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #28
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I take issue with the "system RB" argument for T.D. in Denver.

A lot of people forget that Davis was a total scrub who was getting the cursory look see when he went to training camp in '95. He was a 6th round pick and 6th on the depth chart. His hard work and great play from the Tokyo Bowl on got the attention of Shanahan and he was given the starting job. In '94 the top rusher on the Broncos only had 620 yards and Davis nearly doubled that wit his production in his rookie campaign.

So I agree with you that there's no way you can say he was a system RB. I think he'd be successful on most teams with his skill set.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Not quite enough great years. Add to that the fact that Larry Johnson took over and had 2 1/2 incredible years too. Then your arguing where the KC O-Line ranks among the all time greats.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 18

no, priest holmes does not belong in the hall of fame. terrell davis does, however.

i think it'd be interesting to compare priest to jamal lewis, fred taylor, shaun alexander and ricky williams, though.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #31
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
The fact that Holmes didn't hang around for very long isn't even the half of it.

Holmes, much like Shaun Alexander and the revolving RB door at Denver during the Shanahan era, was very clearly a product of the system.

Larry Johnson rushing for 3500 yards in 25 games started and making consecutive All-Pro teams after replacing Holmes and then proceeding to fade to oblivion once his OL leaves more or less attests to this.
Yeah, because every RB in Denver during the Shanahan era wound up averaging 1500 yards and 15 TD's during their reign there :rollseyes:

Not only did TD flourish during the regular season, he was a beast during the postseason. 8 playoff games, he had over 1100 yards rushing and 12 rushing TD's. In the playoffs people, against the best teams out there.

Now, these border guys like Holmes, they aren't getting in if Davis doesn't get in. Davis has the championships, accolades to warrant over them.

People brought up Shaun Alexander, but I'm actually thinking he does have a case to be in the HOF. Probably won't make it, but the 100 TD's is a nice total there.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
MVP

Clemsonpanther's Arena

OVR: 3

Larry j proved that priest was in a system. 4 out of the 5 starters on the chiefs line should be in, or just induct the whole group. If a guy that is goat for 3 years isn't in (Terrell Davis) neither should he. I maintain that John elway was mediocre until his 30s and is not a HOFer

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »