Home

Priest Holmes HOFer?

This is a discussion on Priest Holmes HOFer? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Priest Holmes HOFer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1981
No. If Terrell Davis isn't in then he doesn't deserve it either. They had about the same career span. But then again I'm a tough evaluater. I am the first person to tell you that Kurt Warner is not a HOFer.

Sent from my 1983 Motorola DynaTAC mobile phone
Everyone else has said it, but what sets TD apart is the Super Bowls he played a crucial part in winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
I asked you to show me a RB in Denver who averaged 1500 yards rushing and 15 TD's over the span of 4 years. Only Portis did that really in his 2 years.
I mean, if that OL was so good, the system so good, I guess we should put more OL from that team in the HOF and Shanahan and the OL coach or whatever. It couldn't be that Denver actually had a way of finding good talent at RB, and coaching them to showcase that talent in games.
Except that those players came out of nowhere and fell off just as quickly. A short run at the top does not a Hall-of-Famer make. This is the case with Priest Holmes.

From 2001 to 2003 he was as good as or better than anyone in the league. But three great fantasy seasons are not the stuff of legend. He was a good back, but if you take out those three years as the full-time KC starter, his numbers are as follows: 3582 yards and 36 touchdowns rushing on 820 carries, 986 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving on 133 catches over seven years. The rushing numbers are respectable, the receiving numbers not as much.

In either case, it's an average of 500 yards rushing (4.37 y/c) and 141 yards receiving (19 rec/ssn) every season. Those are decent backup numbers. Besides the three golden years in KC, he was only a full-time starter one other time in his career (1998 - 16 games/13 starts; 233 carries, 1008 yards, 7 TDs; 260 receiving yards on 43 catches). He started eight games once, seven games once, four games once, two games twice, and didn't really play at all in 1997 besides one fourteen-yard kick return. After 2004 he never lead a team in rushing, and only led Baltimore once.

I'm beating a dead horse with these stats, but no Priest Holmes is not a Hall of Fame player by any measure I can figure out, including general importance to his team as a leader or utility player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #42
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
Everyone else has said it, but what sets TD apart is the Super Bowls he played a crucial part in winning.
I think everybody against TD should actually look at his postseason stats. Thats against some really good teams and he dominated.

Quote:
Except that those players came out of nowhere and fell off just as quickly. A short run at the top does not a Hall-of-Famer make. This is the case with Priest Holmes.
The only reason TD and Holmes fell off were due to the injuries they sustained. Thats it. Those other RB's didn't sustain the success TD did, which to me proves TD was on another level.
Holmes in 2004 in 8 games had over 800 yards rushing and 14 TD's. In 8 fricken games. That hip injury he suffered basically ended his career, much like TD's knee injuries ended his.

I'm with you on Holmes not being a HOFer, too bad injuries ruined his career much like TD.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
Rookie

Shecky Shabazz1's Arena

OVR: 1

Priest had a excellent 3 year stretch with 2 of the 3 being phenomenal but its not enough to get him in the Hall. He only had 4 seasons where he played all 16 games. If he could have stayed healthy for a couple more seasons he would probably be in the Hall possibly a first ballad HOFer
Old 08-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #44
Rookie

The ArkanSaw's Arena

OVR: 11

Ouch, I would say no but damn was he good when he was good.

This goes to show how hard it is to consistently be a dominant running back. They typically go from great to unproductive very quickly. Priest was the man in 01-03 but if he had played just good from there on out i would say he would eventually squeeze in. If he was elected then guys like Drew Bledsoe and Rich Gannon should get in, which shouldn't happen...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #45
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

he was great when healthy but naw thats 1 of the guys you talk to your kids about and say if he wasn't injured he would of been 1 of the best kind of like our parents do when speaking of guys like Penny Hardaway and others
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
A short run at the top does not a Hall-of-Famer make.
Hope you're not voting Kurt Warner in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »