Home

AFC Divisional Weekend: Baltimore Ravens (4) @ Denver Broncos (1)

This is a discussion on AFC Divisional Weekend: Baltimore Ravens (4) @ Denver Broncos (1) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #57
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: AFC Divisional Weekend: Baltimore Ravens (4) @ Denver Broncos (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Irish 69
fair enough. i totally agree the wide receivers have trouble getting separation, and maybe he takes too long with his reads, i'm not always up on what the 2nd or 3rd option is on a play and whether he threw it to them.

the reason i said the bit about trying to be elite is that he used to take off more early in his career. it's to the point that it happens so rarely i don't even remember the last time he actually ran for a decent gain. and that stands out to me since, like you said before, he was deceptively elusive and a threat to sneak off for a big gain.

but either way, the media and even regular fans absolutely make a lot more of the elite talk than is necessary, guess it's just something to talk about. and i love the answer he gave to the question, i mean it's ballsy, he's not skirting around the issue and obviously believes he's good. but i do think it matters to Flacco, maybe not to the extent that it does to everyone else, but it's got to matter if he's a competitor. i mean who doesn't want to be considered one of the best, especially if they think they're capable?
I wish he would run more also but I think that's coaching or his lack of adapting a traditional style with his skills (the way say an Aaron Rodgers has). If it's more of the latter then that's a legit knock on Flacco, and that's what is hard to tell bc of the combo with the plays and WRs. Remember early on the play book was extremely dumbed down with lots of max protect and only a couple of reads. Check 1, check 2, take off. That's where being slow on reads (and feeling the pocket collapsing) could be a serious issue for him.

As for the "elite" talk, the best don't obsess about being the best... they just do it. The labels and all come from the people around them. He was asked and he answered... it really should just stop there. The media is going to stretch anything like that out, but the player should just be out there trying to make plays and let that speak for itself. If they're trying to be "the best" then they're already set up to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Whart all I'm saying is what I think the Ravens brass are saying. That's the reason why he doesn't have a contract yet. They are not sure on the numbers. If he can best the best then they will pay him big. If he cannot then he aint getting what they get.
Quote:
Actually I'm saying Flacco needs to play like he did against NE in the AFC Championship game, like he did against the Bengals in week 1. He needs to show that consistency if he wants the money his agent thinks he should get.

Whart, I get that he answered like anyone would want their starting QB to answer. I wanted him to answer that way. Now the rubber meets the road though. The Ravens are trying to figure out what do we pay this guy? And paying him is everything for next year. If we end up franchising him we are screwed because we will not have the money to resign Kruger and Ellerbe. We really need both of them.
Yeah, and that's a bit of a different conversation. They have more data to work with than we do so I really hope they're taking those other factors into consideration too. I'd say they are since they got rid of Cameron. But that contract situation is a really big issue. I can't even comment on that one. I think the franchise tag still puts him in questionable air but I don't see any way they let him walk so I think it's just gonna be what it is. Wrong topic but I'm wondering what's going to happen with Ed and Boldin (among others like Jacoby) which could all be effected by what they do with Flacco also.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoug312
Yeah, if he wants to be considered elite (and get elite pay as a result), he has to perform.
Yep, I'm saying if he wants ELITE MONEY, which is what his agent Joe Linta is pushing for then he has to sling it. I don't think the Ravens FO will hesitate to pay him top dollar if he goes in and outperforms the guys that are getting top dollar. If he lays an egg on Saturday, he aint getting top tier money and his agent will handicap our franchise because we'll have to tag him and be handicapped in Free Agency and we'll be forced to let our young guys like Ellerbe, Kruger walk.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #59
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Yep, I'm saying if he wants ELITE MONEY, which is what his agent Joe Linta is pushing for then he has to sling it. I don't think the Ravens FO will hesitate to pay him top dollar if he goes in and outperforms the guys that are getting top dollar. If he lays an egg on Saturday, he aint getting top tier money and his agent will handicap our franchise because we'll have to tag him and be handicapped in Free Agency and we'll be forced to let our young guys like Ellerbe, Kruger walk.
I don't think it's completely in his control, but recognize that doesn't (and shouldn't) matter to those paying the bills. With that said, if he wants to be a Raven he needs to deal with the landscape... and that's me saying I don't expect him to be slinging it around like "elite money" should. But personally I don't think the Ravens should be the Packers or Saints on offense anyway. Just win the damn game, bc if elite money has you checking out of run plays and screwing up the balance in all those games then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I'm going to keep assuming it's not that deep and they just need to continue working through this transition to a new identity. It'd be nice if they win even if he throws for 100 yards without turning it over, get them in the SB and then I'm fine with paying him. I hate agents.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #60
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Damn, I forgot all about Manning's playoff history when it comes to cold weather games.

Not that it matters to me since I picked Baltimore to win it all once Ray Lewis said this would his last ride.
My theory on the whole cold weather thing:

1) In the past, if Manning was playing in cold weather, it meant he was on the road. On the road, in the playoffs, is a hard ticket. Then you add in the cold.

2) In the past, he played in a dome. You go from playing in a dome ALL season long to suddenly gearing up for a road, cold weather game. Not good.

It's a lot easier when you play in the colder weather with regularity. Peyton has had time to play some chilly games in Denver. He's had time to prepare for it and adjust, not to mention living in it. Teams like Green Bay and Chicago don't draft people who just love the cold; their players are used to playing in it. That's the difference.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #61
TRC
Rookie

TRC's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86

1) In the past, if Manning was playing in cold weather, it meant he was on the road. On the road, in the playoffs, is a hard ticket. Then you add in the cold.

2) In the past, he played in a dome. You go from playing in a dome ALL season long to suddenly gearing up for a road, cold weather game. Not good.

It's a lot easier when you play in the colder weather with regularity. Peyton has had time to play some chilly games in Denver. He's had time to prepare for it and adjust, not to mention living in it. Teams like Green Bay and Chicago don't draft people who just love the cold; their players are used to playing in it. That's the difference.
Agreed. I would also like to add that Manning has beaten teams in the snow before, including Denver. However, this time he is playing after a cervical fusion where the surgical site will be affected by the cold. There can also be an adverse affect of the nerves running into his arm by the cold. I would be lying I did't say that I was concerned about it, especially with game time weather forecast of temps in the teens and 20+ mph winds.

Denver will need to be able to run on the Ravens' D the same way they did in December, and stop Rice/Pierce forcing Flacco to throw. Sometimes weather becomes a big factor and "the great equalizer."

Last edited by TRC; 01-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #62
Bob Loblaw

Jonsco28's Arena

OVR: 8

IMO, the Broncos just need to avoid playing too tight and they will be just fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I think the weather will give the Ravens a chance at the upset. I predict Boldin/Smith will outplay Thomas/Decker.

Ravens 20 Broncos 17.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #64
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86

Have you seen the players we've drafted over the years? Most of them are from warm weather places so it's not like they're used to the cold when they get here LOL.

Remember, it's not like all of their home games are played in 32 degrees or below weather and if I'm not mistaken, I think we've only played one game where it was 32 degrees or colder(Just going off memory from the pregame weather reports I read before each game).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »