Home

Elite Quarterback Guideline

This is a discussion on Elite Quarterback Guideline within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
Pro

DucksForever's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Elite Quarterback Guideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
In my mind:

Elite quarterbacks, guys who have done it on the big stage and are clearly the key to their team's sucess, without them, their team is significantly worse:

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning

Close to elite quarterbacks, guys who have maybe done it just once, but are still consistently great quarterbacks:

Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning

Guys that are great quarterbacks but are still a bit unproven:

Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler
Well I have to disagree with a few things in your list. I like the basis that you have, and obviously this isn't a cut'n'dry topic, but I still would make a couple adjustments. According to your classification of elite quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger should be in the class. Numerous times, he has been on the big stage and proven that he deserved to be there. He has more playoff wins than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning. His team does significantly worse without him, and without him they would not have won either of those super bowls. Also, how is Matt Ryan in the 'Close to Elite Class'? He has won a grand total of 1 playoff game, has never lead the league in any statistical category, and as far as I'm concerned, should not be in any category outside of one with Tony Romo and Matt Schaub.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Yea, I think Big Ben has to be in that elite category. His team has definitely depended on him and he was a key to their last SB run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion8877
Unless their name is Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, they are not elite.

To me an elite quarterback is somebody who puts up great stats, manages the game when it comes down to the wire, wins games for his team, and consistently plays amazing and has way more "ups" than "downs"

The last point of consistency is important. Eli would be elite based on wins, Super Bowls, and how he pulls out great comebacks. But he is way to inconsistent, and for every amazing game he has, he has a wtf kind of game.
I share the same sentiments. I only see 4 elite QBs currently in the league. I believe Big Ben and Eli are at the top of the 2nd tier, despite their rings.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksForever
Well I have to disagree with a few things in your list. I like the basis that you have, and obviously this isn't a cut'n'dry topic, but I still would make a couple adjustments. According to your classification of elite quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger should be in the class. Numerous times, he has been on the big stage and proven that he deserved to be there. He has more playoff wins than Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Peyton Manning. His team does significantly worse without him, and without him they would not have won either of those super bowls. Also, how is Matt Ryan in the 'Close to Elite Class'? He has won a grand total of 1 playoff game, has never lead the league in any statistical category, and as far as I'm concerned, should not be in any category outside of one with Tony Romo and Matt Schaub.
As a Steelers fan, Ben has always had a great defense, those other guys have performed without great defenses, without great run games and without even having spectacular teams around them. That's why Ben is in that second tier. His injury problems are also a concern.

Ryan is up there for his statistical numbers mostly to be honest, but he was borderline to me between those two categories, his performance this year put him up there.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
Guys that are great quarterbacks but are still a bit unproven:
Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler
Schaub, Romo, and Cutler a BIT unproven?

It's not like these guys don't have a little offensive talent around them.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 55

Ben Roethlisberger has to be the most under-appreciated player in the NFL today.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
All Star

Brandon13's Arena

OVR: 30
Peyton
Brady
Brees
Rodgers
---------
Roethlisberger
Flacco
Eli
---------
Shaub
Ryan
Romo
Cutler

First four have separated themselves from the rest as they are all historically great QBs.

Next three are more inconsistent than the big 4 but have also proven themselves in big games.

Last four are inconsistent and have not done enough in big games to move into the next class.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Ben Roethlisberger has to be the most under-appreciated player in the NFL today.
I'm confused, in years past, the groupthink on Ben was that he was a step below guys like Brees, Manning, and Brady but now he's on the same level?
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »