Home

Week 7: New England Patriots (5-1) @ New York Jets (3-3)

This is a discussion on Week 7: New England Patriots (5-1) @ New York Jets (3-3) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #57
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Week 7: New England Patriots (5-1) @ New York Jets (3-3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
How many injuries as a result? That's why this was enacted, this and overloading a side and running over OL.

So to be clear you're advocating that as soon as there is a pile it shouldn't be moved? Blown dead and/or everyone else just has to watch?

Sent from my VZW Note 3
I'm pretty sure it used to be, or is still a rule. I know it was in college football, because I vividly remember everyone complaining when Matt Leinart pushed Reggie Bush into the endzone for a game winning touchdown. Also, I found this on nfl.com at least:

Use of Hands, Arms, and Body
No player on offense may assist a runner except by blocking for him. There shall be no interlocking interference.

And on another page on nfl.com, they show the referee's gesture on how to call a penalty for "interlocking interference, pushing, or helping the runner".

If it's illegal for someone to push a teammate that's in a field goal pile, it should also be illegal for guys to come running into a pile and trying to push their teammate forwards. It's the same injury risk.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #58
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

How is the defense pushing into the offensive line on a field goal any more dangerous than what the offensive line and fullbacks do when they try to push the pile in a goal line stand? How about piles in the open field? Either apply it to all situations or the reason for player safety is completely invalid.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #59
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

You realize pushing a pile and pushing a person isn't the same thing right?

Sent from my VZW Note 3
Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #60
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

It was the players that brought this rule on field goals to the competition committee and pushed for it to be passed. Ask the players if they want pushing an offensive pile to be a penalty and you'll probably get a "no".
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #61
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The penalty that was called is a new rule this year. They aren't going to ignore it just because of game situation.
Week 7 and they finally call it? Something tells me many teams this season got away with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You realize pushing a pile and pushing a person isn't the same thing right?

Sent from my VZW Note 3
How does one push a pile without pushing a person when the pile is composed of people? To push the pile you have to either push a person, or multiple people, or push the ground beneath them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
It was the players that brought this rule on field goals to the competition committee and pushed for it to be passed. Ask the players if they want pushing an offensive pile to be a penalty and you'll probably get a "no".
It doesn't make it any less stupid. Stupid rules are stupid no matter who makes them. The NFL should be interested in having a balanced game. With less pressure coming up the middle it will be even easier to kick longer field goals.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #63
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Rule might be stupid... there are plenty of stupid rules.

It's still a rule. Players know the rules. If they break one they should get called for it. It's not like the player was put in a position where he had no choice but to break the rule. He broke it, got flagged. It was a dumb decision and they paid for it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #64
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

More from PFT: Rule was proposed by players led by Redskins center and approved by the competition commitee before making the usual annual rounds to every single team making them all aware of the new rules.

If you can read the following and still compare it to a pile on offense trying to move forward for the first down then I'll just agree to disagree.

Quote:
“I actually pulled my hamstring because it root-hogged my legs out from underneath me. I did the splits, and I usually can’t do the splits,” Redskins center Will Montgomery told Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports. “I’m like, ‘Man, this is BS.’ That was the genesis of the rule change. . . .

“They say just get low pads and low pad wins, but you get low pads and then guys fall on top of you. You feel like bones are gonna break or you’re going to pull things and I did pull my hamstring. So you figure, in this whole new era of player safety, a four-on-one is not safe in the NFL.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-patriots/

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »