Home

What's the worst loss you've experienced as a fan

This is a discussion on What's the worst loss you've experienced as a fan within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #41
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: What's the worst loss you've experienced as a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Plenty. Way too many for a generally miserable franchise. I can't even begin to talk about them all.

First thing that jumps out in my mind was the three game stretch in 2010 that buried our season. Blowing the game against the Chargers late on an Andre Johnson miscue, then the next week a fumble giving the Jaguars possession then the Hail Mary then the week after that taking the lead against the Jets with like 50 seconds left only to let Mark Sanchez march down the field and the Jets got a game-winning TD. I punched a hole in my wall after that.

Would have been 7-3 after those three heartbreakers in a row with the Titans (who we beat 20-0) coming up after that. 8-3 going into the final five games of the season. But what did we do? Oh, we lost to the Eagles then the Ravens on MNF (after an amazing comeback) in late fashion too. And let's not forget the Tim Tebow-led Broncos who beat us by 1 in Week 16, but that was neither here nor there at that point. 4-2 to start, 2-8 to close. Six of those last 8 losses were in spectacularly ridiculous fashion.

**** the 2010 season overall. Historically bad defense. But that led to Wade Phillips coming in, money being spent to upgrade the defense, and of course, the selection of JJ Watt in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Was one of those games the one where Sage Rosenfels tried a ridiculous dive on a scramble where he got helicoptered and fumbled the ball away?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #42

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Easy for me. It was the 2006 AFC Championship game when Jake Plummer threw the most touchdown passes to Steelers than anyone else that day.

This was the year the Steelers went to Indy and upset them and the Broncos were handed a home AFC Championship game after upsetting the Patriots. This was a hard hard way to go out.

Close second was a week 16 loss to the Bills. Don't remember the year but it was the year they started out undefeated for awhile, and then Shanahan replaced Plummer with Cutler after a few losses (a move I was was okay with at the time). They lost all four of their final games when they only needed to win one to get to the playoffs.

This was probably the year after my first choice lol.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 27

Super Bowl XLI. 5 turnovers and Rex friggin' Grossman. They could've smashed that Colts team.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeKing
Super Bowl XLI. 5 turnovers and Rex friggin' Grossman. They could've smashed that Colts team.
Not with Rex Grossman. You'd have to have an alltime great defense to win with him.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
That was something.

There was a time there when I couldn't even watch that. And then that ****ing Saints commercial they created and aired on TV 1000 times a day. UGH
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #46
Rookie

Dagio's Arena

OVR: 6

Super Bowl XLIII. Nothing else even comes close.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #47
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Was one of those games the one where Sage Rosenfels tried a ridiculous dive on a scramble where he got helicoptered and fumbled the ball away?
No. That was in like, 2006 or 2007.

S M F H.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #48
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Since there were no Saints fans in the 1980's I'll go ahead and speak for them. Well, maybe there were a few since Bum Phillips was the coach and he was pretty cool. Anyway, it was probably the wildest meltdown I've ever seen and only a few die-hards even saw the ending.

1984 Saints at Cowboys. A rare Sunday night game that set the NFL record with a 9:51 ET start time (not sure why but possibly because the Reagan vs Carter Presidential debate was on that night.)

The next day Ken Stabler retired for good.
I have this game in my collection and yeah, that's one of the more interesting and crazy games i've seen. You're right about the Reagan/Mondale (not Carter) debate. I didn't know that this was the game that led to Stabler hanging it up for good though. Bum Phillips actually did some good stuff in New Orleans despite the record. the 1983 and '84 seasons they very nearly got into the playoffs and the defenses were fairly good during those years. Where it fell off was on the offensive side of the ball. Bum pretty much ran Archie Manning out of town, brought in Stabler and then later on brought in an old, not nearly as effective Earl Campbell. Watching Earl in a Saints uniform was pretty brutal at times.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »