Home

2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

This is a discussion on 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 24
Re: 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I don't think Burnside has mentioned the Canucks or Canada's Olympic team at any point within the last two years without taking a shot at Luongo. It's odd. Either he still harbours a grudge from the 1994 West Final or he's trying to balance out Buccigross, who has an irrational affection for the Canucks.

Also, the ESPN editors should tell LeBrun and Burnside to drop the misused royal "we" in their articles. Take an English course, fellas.
They also said the Caps won the Atlantic Division.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #66
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Anyways Luongo has looked shaky more often then not this year so I don't think it's completely unfair to be skeptical of what he can do when the pressure is on him.
Not at all, it's clearly been an off year for him. But I'm not kidding, Burnside knocks Luongo every single time the Canucks are mentioned. "Luongo not coming through in big games" was his rationale for picking St. Louis over Vancouver in last year's first round. Luongo was 4-0 with a .962 save percentage in that series. Shaky or not, I'll take my chances with Luongo over the Jon Quick/Erik Ersberg combo, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #67
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Denver Post rips Sharks a new one:

"San Jose Sharks not mentally equipped to make dent in playoffs"
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_14871734

Quote:
In the name of accuracy, San Jose really should adopt an alternative uniform in April.

Dump that teal sweater with a shark chomping a hockey stick. That mean image doesn't fit the joke that San Jose becomes when the games really matter.
If that doesn't light a fire under the Sharks butts I don't know what will.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #68
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Denver Post rips Sharks a new one:

"San Jose Sharks not mentally equipped to make dent in playoffs"
http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_14871734

If that doesn't light a fire under the Sharks butts I don't know what will.
The Sharks have earned that reputation quite well, but does a Colorado newspaper really have room to talk? The Avs didn't even make the playoffs last year and are the #8 seed this year. It'd be best to shut your trap and just let your play do the talking. I'd be very happy in the underdog role the Avs will be playing all postseason.

As for the team previews Psyblast posted, I think the NJ/PHI one was fair. We played them well this year, but they're the #2 seed so they were good all year, and it's the playoffs where nothing else matters. I think we match up well and we've been able to get to Brodeur the last few years. Plus, the team picked it up to get into the playoffs, and Boucher has really turned it up himself. I have to be honest, I was 100% dreading having Boucher lead us into the playoffs, even hoping we'd throw the rookie Backlund out there the last few games if he was healthy (he wasn't anyway) to lead us to the playoffs and beyond. But Boucher has played very well and earned the starting spot in the playoffs, and now I'm all on his side. I'm hoping he can flash back to a decade ago (wow, it's really been that long...) and be a great postseason story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
The Sharks have earned that reputation quite well, but does a Colorado newspaper really have room to talk? The Avs didn't even make the playoffs last year and are the #8 seed this year. It'd be best to shut your trap and just let your play do the talking. I'd be very happy in the underdog role the Avs will be playing all postseason.
Agreed.
But if I'm a Colorado player I'm pissed about this article. Why give the opposing team bulletin board material?
I still remember when the Wings were up 2-0 on the Leafs in '93 and the Detroit papers started calling Wendel Clark 'Wendie Clark'. All it did was fire him up and the rest is history.

I hate the Leafs but I was and still am a huge Wendel Clark fan. If there's one player you didn't want to piss off it was good 'ole #17.

And like you said, it's not like the Avalanche have been knocking on Lord Stanley's door each year. And with Mueller and Duschene possibly out, the less talking the better.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #70
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

That's bulletin board material right there.

The Sharks have earned that reputation though as they come up small more often then not in the playoffs. I hear some commentators saying that the Sharks are better equipped to win this year as they've won games by various means and how the Olympic experience was good for Thornton. The thing they neglect to mention is that both Thornton and his line mates were barely visible at all in the Olympic Tournament especially Joe who was nonexistent and when he had a chance to do something he'd often play small.

The thing is that the Sharks by and large don't have that grittiness to go into the corners and dig for the puck. They've added some muckers and grinders this year but you're still going to need the big stars to contribute.

I can see SJ probably beating Colorado just for the experience factor alone but they'll lose in the next round.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
That's bulletin board material right there.

The Sharks have earned that reputation though as they come up small more often then not in the playoffs. I hear some commentators saying that the Sharks are better equipped to win this year as they've won games by various means and how the Olympic experience was good for Thornton. The thing they neglect to mention is that both Thornton and his line mates were barely visible at all in the Olympic Tournament especially Joe who was nonexistent and when he had a chance to do something he'd often play small.

The thing is that the Sharks by and large don't have that grittiness to go into the corners and dig for the puck. They've added some muckers and grinders this year but you're still going to need the big stars to contribute.

I can see SJ probably beating Colorado just for the experience factor alone but they'll lose in the next round.
My thoughts exactly.
During the Olympics The Sharks line was basically invisible in games that mattered the most. And Joe hit a wall big-time after the Games wrapped up.
He was on pace for 120 points after 3 months but finished with less than 90.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat myself now, the Sharks will only go as far as Joe takes them. And if he continues to play small, they won't get past the 2nd round.
If the 'Lanche were healthy I'd even give them a shot to upset SJ in the first round.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 31

While its cool and all that the're doing a free MLB sports package preview this week. If I miss any Bruins games due to Center Ice sharing its channels with the MLB package I'ma be pissed. No listings at all so far for their first or second game vs buffalo as far as I can tell on the guide itself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »