Home

Differences in crowds at different arenas

This is a discussion on Differences in crowds at different arenas within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Differences in crowds at different arenas

I am not shocked on that DR. Also if the Wings sucked as bad as the Lions I am sure they would not sell out. The bottom line is wins bring fans. It is what it is. If you win they will come. And who cares it is all about making money in the end.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I am not shocked on that DR. Also if the Wings sucked as bad as the Lions I am sure they would not sell out. The bottom line is wins bring fans. It is what it is. If you win they will come. And who cares it is all about making money in the end.
True, but I doubt their attendance numbers would be anywhere near as bad as Phoenix's even in that case. Like I said the horrible attendance numbers this year for Phoenix were when the team was good, it is not like they were a bad team. My problem is more with the bandwagon fans who try to act like they have been a fan of the team all along, those people annoy me to no end.

I have always supported my teams even when they weren't very good. I even supported the Tigers when they were the laughing stock of baseball.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #35
All Star

DrJones's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
True, but I doubt their attendance numbers would be anywhere near as bad as Phoenix's even in that case. Like I said the horrible attendance numbers this year for Phoenix were when the team was good, it is not like they were a bad team. My problem is more with the bandwagon fans who try to act like they have been a fan of the team all along, those people annoy me to no end.

I have always supported my teams even when they weren't very good. I even supported the Tigers when they were the laughing stock of baseball.
At least Phoenix has the excuse of terrible teams, no winning tradition, no stars to market, and an uncertain future. Denver, on the other hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
Pro

shorty12345's Arena

OVR: 8

Another reason why people don't go to their games is because the arena is just out in the middle of no where. I mean the old arena was atleast in downtown. It takes a good hour-hour and a half to get there from a very popular city such as scottsdale.
NCAAFB- Arizona State Sundevils
NCAAB- Arizona State Sundevils
Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 47

Plus they don't get snow! So they might not play hockey that much! That is why I was shocked San Jose got a hockey team.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
And I realize that, but Phoenix has been playing well for the entire season ,but yet people still didn't come out to support them during the regular season. I don't believe the Wings or any other teams attendance numbers, even when they weren't good have ever been as low as Phoenix's were either.

To be honest ,I don't think hockey can survive in a market like Phoenix and after their attendance numbers this year I am not even sure they deserve having a team anymore. Maybe Phoenix fans can prove me wrong starting next season though if there attendance from the playoffs can carry over.
It's a big question, and they may not survive there, but to really become a quality hockey market, you need to develop youth hockey programs to get kids into the sport early in addition to the team playing well.

For example, youth hockey around the DC-area was solid in terms of numbers before Ovechkin came (because we'd been around since 1974 and had had success), but after Ovechkin came, numbers skyrocketed, and many more kids wanting to play.

The problem is, a place lie Phoenix, or Atlanta, or Florida, there just isn't that youth hockey tradition/passion. You can't rely on bandwagon fans forever, because eventually you'll have bad stretch (unless you're the Wings). We'll see if these Sunbelt teams can build hockey bases, and that may take another handful of years unfortunately. Success by the Sunbelt teams can really drive that, though, which is why it really hurts that teams like the Thrashers and Panthers are so awful/poorly run.

Last edited by tyler289; 04-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty12345
Another reason why people don't go to their games is because the arena is just out in the middle of no where. I mean the old arena was atleast in downtown. It takes a good hour-hour and a half to get there from a very popular city such as scottsdale.
And where do you think most Wings fans live, certainly not in the city of Detroit. Most Wings fans including myself live in the surrounding areas around Detroit that are about an hour away from Joe Louis Arena if not more. It is a pain in the behind as well to get to Joe Louis Arena due to the traffic.

I really don't buy that excuse. Good fans that support their teams are willing to drive a good distance and battle traffic to see their teams play.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
And where do you think most Wings fans live, certainly not in the city of Detroit. Most Wings fans including myself live in the surrounding areas around Detroit that are about an hour away from Joe Louis Arena if not more. It is a pain in the behind as well to get to Joe Louis Arena due to the traffic.

I really don't buy that excuse. Good fans that support their teams are willing to drive a good distance and battle traffic to see their teams play.
I agree. Most Caps fans live a good drive (around an hour) to Verizon Center (because of the amount of traffic). On weekends, it'll take me at least 45 minutes from when I leave the house. It can hinder attendance, but eventually people make the drive or whatever.

Eventually I hope people in Phoenix will be willing to make that commute to see their team on a consistent basis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »