Home

WWE 2019 TV Deals (SD on FOX, Raw on USA)

This is a discussion on WWE 2019 TV Deals (SD on FOX, Raw on USA) within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #25
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: FOX to go hard after WWE if they lose rights to UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
ABC won't since they have big shows on Monday (American Idol in it's return, and also The Backelor). CBS probably won't since they got sitcoms slotted in on Monday primetime and also Scorpion at 10pm. NBC has had The Voice on Mondays for all but their first season, so don't see that changing, especially because of WWE. FOX is the only of those big networks that Raw could really fit on.

They got brand new shows in The Gifted and The Resident at 9pm(one aired in fall,the other in winter) and like I mentioned in other thread, got nothing scheduled at 10pm. They also currently have nothing scheduled Fridays from 9-10pm, so they got some spots open. One of those new shows could be slotted in at 9pm Fridays, which probably won't impact their under 5M viewer numbers, and then Raw gets to replace them from 9pm, and then Fox gets new programming airing at 10pm.

They'll be going up against the final hour of Bachelor or American Idol and also The Voice, so having Raw would be bringing in a different audience to their show compared to ones watching any of those ones.

Are we talking Eastern time here? Cause I’m not sure how all the local Fox affiliates work, but here in Chicago the local news is in the 9 PM time slot, which is 10 PM EST. I’m 33 and that time slot has been local news every night for as long as I’ve been alive. Would they move that for Raw? Especially when they already aren’t the preferred newscast in the city where they only have WGN’s 9 o’clock news as competition at that spot as opposed to ABC, NBC, CBS and WGN has a half hour 10 o’clock news.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

The news is on at 10 PM here
Old 03-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #27

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
American Idol ain't gonna be around anymore by the time RAW would be on Fox, lol.
Is it just a 1 season thing on ABC? Either way, they'd still have The Bachelor on Mondays and Dancing with the Stars.

And these are just regular season shows. Summer as well with Raw on other networks...ABC has The Bachelorette/Bachelor in Paradise. NBC has American Ninja Warrior.

FOX had So You Think You Can Dance, for half summer it seems like it's on from 8-9, then late summer is 8-10,so that's the only thing they'd really have to work around is that 2nd hour in late summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Are we talking Eastern time here? Cause I’m not sure how all the local Fox affiliates work, but here in Chicago the local news is in the 9 PM time slot, which is 10 PM EST. I’m 33 and that time slot has been local news every night for as long as I’ve been alive. Would they move that for Raw? Especially when they already aren’t the preferred newscast in the city where they only have WGN’s 9 o’clock news as competition at that spot as opposed to ABC, NBC, CBS and WGN has a half hour 10 o’clock news.

I'm just going based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...chedule#Monday

Doesn't FOX have a news channel? Would it be possible to just have local news airing there for that 1 hour? Not sure how all that works.

Last edited by Majingir; 03-01-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

Quote:
Is it just a 1 season thing on ABC? Either way, they'd still have The Bachelor on Mondays and Dancing with the Stars.

And these are just regular season shows. Summer as well with Raw on other networks...ABC has The Bachelorette/Bachelor in Paradise. NBC has American Ninja Warrior.

FOX had So You Think You Can Dance, for half summer it seems like it's on from 8-9, then late summer is 8-10,so that's the only thing they'd really have to work around is that 2nd hour in late summer.

I'm just going based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...chedule#Monday

Doesn't FOX have a news channel? Would it be possible to just have local news airing there for that 1 hour? Not sure how all that works.

Nah, cause you’d have to have cable to watch the local news.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I don't know but American Idol died on FOX because of bad ratings and people liking The Voice better, so I don't see it all of a sudden being a hit again just cause it's on a different channel.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #30

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Nah, cause you’d have to have cable to watch the local news.

Then what about an 8-10pm EST Raw? 8-9pm and 9-10pm gets more viewers nowadays than 10-11pm.

Lucifer is the only show really standing in their way, and I don't think it'd be that big of a deal to move it from Mondays at 8 to some other day/time.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #31
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

A couple things to note:

- All (or most) Fox affiliates air the local news at 10 PM local time. The 10-11 PM timeslot used to be for syndicated reruns of TV shows. (WUTV for YEARS used it to show back to back episodes of Seinfeld)

- As i've said FOX is desperately trying to get rid of as much of their scripted television as they can which is why they will be airing the draft on Big Fox and the whole Thursday Night Football package. So having Lucifer on Mondays is no big thing. That show can easily be moved to another date and time.

- RAW being cut down to 2 hrs would be a LOT better for the product so that restriction may actually be a blessing in disguise. As for the "death knell" for SDL being on FS1 you have to look at it this way. Let's say you're watching RAW and you keep seeing ads for SDL on FS1 if you're a big fan of the product you're going to try and get FS1 on your cable package just to watch the show. The execs are hoping SDL could be the anchor and destination show for that network. It's not an uncommon or new idea really.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #32
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
A couple things to note:

- All (or most) Fox affiliates air the local news at 10 PM local time. The 10-11 PM timeslot used to be for syndicated reruns of TV shows. (WUTV for YEARS used it to show back to back episodes of Seinfeld)

- As i've said FOX is desperately trying to get rid of as much of their scripted television as they can which is why they will be airing the draft on Big Fox and the whole Thursday Night Football package. So having Lucifer on Mondays is no big thing. That show can easily be moved to another date and time.

- RAW being cut down to 2 hrs would be a LOT better for the product so that restriction may actually be a blessing in disguise. As for the "death knell" for SDL being on FS1 you have to look at it this way. Let's say you're watching RAW and you keep seeing ads for SDL on FS1 if you're a big fan of the product you're going to try and get FS1 on your cable package just to watch the show. The execs are hoping SDL could be the anchor and destination show for that network. It's not an uncommon or new idea really.
We'll see how it works out, but I can't see WWE, especially Smackdown being the show that gets FS1 onto more cable packages across the country. If UFC and them sticking MLB playoff games on there can't do it, then Vince raking Smackdown for talent to stick on network RAW isn't going to do the trick IMO. Hope it works out if Fox is the deal they choose though. I missed a couple Cubs playoff games during their World Series run a few years ago because I was out of town visiting relatives and my aunt didn't have FS1 with her cable company.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »