Home
News Post

We have just posted our MLB '08: The Show review, written by Matt Gagnon.

Quote:
I don't think I'm alone when I say that barring a few examples, sports titles for the latest crop of consoles haven't exactly blown our socks off. It always seems as if there's some glaring problem that holds a game back. We've rarely experienced a complete title that makes us appreciate the new technology we've invested so much into. That is, until MLB 08: The Show for the PS3 hit store shelves this month.

Game: MLB '08: The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 97 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 aukevin @ 03/12/08 12:55 PM
Great review and great game. I really have no complaints so far with this year's game. Online was a little laggy the first couple days but no it is running very nice. The game looks and plays amazing, it really does.

# 2 decga @ 03/12/08 01:22 PM
Good game. I cannot make myself say "great" game. The franchise mode and not being able to access the Minor Leagues teams. Makes it tough for me. I figure how to access from the start up not in the franchise. I like it a whole lot. The plays similar to last year with better graphics.

# 3 Nivek @ 03/12/08 02:59 PM
Great review, great score. Game of the year Candidate!

# 4 jpup @ 03/12/08 03:04 PM
Sports Game Of The Year

# 5 Alyoyo @ 03/12/08 03:52 PM
Good review Matty, this game is definitely a front-runner for sports game of the year. Absolutely addicting!

# 6 larma @ 03/12/08 04:17 PM
Great review for a great game. This is definitely sports GOTY material.

# 7 Chodite24 @ 03/12/08 04:45 PM
Good stuff Matty.
One of my all time fave sports games already.

# 8 k102c3h4 @ 03/12/08 05:59 PM
Out of 10,I give the game 8.5

# 9 BigRick47 @ 03/12/08 06:03 PM
Great game, it deserves the high marks it has received. My only problem is the lag that you get online sometimes, other than that no complaints!

# 10 LingeringRegime @ 03/12/08 08:44 PM
Great Review, finally a website we can trust when rating Sports Games.

# 11 ty5oke @ 03/12/08 11:00 PM
Great Review.

# 12 DJ @ 03/13/08 12:09 AM
Nice, detailed review. Will the PSP version get a review?

# 13 Tomba @ 03/13/08 02:57 AM
I'm clapping....

A 9!

Most deserved

# 14 Skyboxer @ 03/13/08 09:14 AM
Very good review. I'd give it a 8.5 myself just due to someof the mention issues but overall I totally agree with the review. Good job.

# 15 mattyg @ 03/13/08 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Nice, detailed review. Will the PSP version get a review?
Chase should have the PSP review (And PS2 I think) up before the end of the week...

# 16 ChaseB @ 03/13/08 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg
Chase should have the PSP review (And PS2 I think) up before the end of the week...
NEXT week.

# 17 mattyg @ 03/13/08 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc
NEXT week.
Slacker...

# 18 ChaseB @ 03/14/08 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg
Slacker...
Yea I never have to beg you to do anything for the site...Nope never.

# 19 SoxChamp @ 03/15/08 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool17

This game w/reliable online play is a 9...maybe a 10..But w/o its closer to a 6.5 - 7.0...Laugh if you want but until the voices in the community ring loud and clear in a producers ear about the overall dissatisfaction gamers have with next gen online play there will be no changes for the foreseeable near future.

A frickin 9?!
No disrespect, but I don't give a rat's patooty about online play (on any game). I'll never touch it. I'll never understand the draw of playing against a bunch of cheating gamer geeks and preteens on the internet. The majority of people care more about their "status" on the online ranking system than they do playing a fair and fun game. So playing against these people is useless and unpleasant to me. I'll take my Franchise any day of the week.

So does that mean that I should still rate the game a 6.5? Or should I stick with a 9? The point is....a rating is a matter of opinion. What I might like in the game, you might not..and vice versa. So your rant was a tad misguided, as you assume that everyone cares about online play.

# 20 Skyboxer @ 03/15/08 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
No disrespect, but I don't give a rat's patooty about online play (on any game). I'll never touch it. I'll never understand the draw of playing against a bunch of cheating gamer geeks and preteens on the internet. The majority of people care more about their "status" on the online ranking system than they do playing a fair and fun game. So playing against these people is useless and unpleasant to me. I'll take my Franchise any day of the week.

So does that mean that I should still rate the game a 6.5? Or should I stick with a 9? The point is....a rating is a matter of opinion. What I might like in the game, you might not..and vice versa. So your rant was a tad misguided, as you assume that everyone cares about online play.
I agree that no way, even with bad online right now, that I' rate it a 6.5. However playing online is great with the group of OS'ers. I don't play random ever. So in this day of online being a big part of gaming I would say the unreliable online is an area that should hurt the score somewhat but not to a 6.5.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.