Home
Madden 09 News Post

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 advisory @ 08/06/08 11:45 PM
Does anybody know if you have to have a gold membership on xbox live to get the roster updates? Or is it like the patches and all you need is a silver?

# 122 juicey79 @ 08/06/08 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1130
No your right we should all be upset that EA cares(wow... felt weird saying that). Why shouldn't we be happy?

I'm tellin' ya... comments like these are just the most useless thing in the world. You had to post it didn't ya? To much positivity for you?!?
EA better care about quality, consumers pay $60+ on these games in a tough economic climate. If they keep this up the consumers are going to lose faith in the quality of the product and stop buying it or buy months after the release.

# 123 Vikes1 @ 08/07/08 12:00 AM
Please excuse my ignorance....

Roster updates only effect the on-line/Play now rosters...correct?

And do not effect franchise rosters, once you've started your franchise?

# 124 adembroski @ 08/07/08 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicey79
excuse my ignorance but what does the terms or acronyms "CE" and "DLC" mean?
Collector's Edition and DownLoadable Content.

# 125 advisory @ 08/07/08 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Please excuse my ignorance....

Roster updates only effect the on-line/Play now rosters...correct?

And do not effect franchise rosters, once you've started your franchise?
Roster updates definately effect the online play. Play now, you can use whatever rosters you want with play now. Even after uploading the rosters online, you can still use the original rosters in play now. Or you can make your own rosters.

But to answer your last question, whenever you start your franchise, your rosters will not be effected by any other roster files. If you choose to start your franchise over, you can then use whatever rosters you want to start it with, much like in play it now.

# 126 Vikes1 @ 08/07/08 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by advisory
Roster updates definately effect the online play. Play now, you can use whatever rosters you want with play now. Even after uploading the rosters online, you can still use the original rosters in play now. Or you can make your own rosters.

But to answer your last question, whenever you start your franchise, your rosters will not be effected by any other roster files. If you choose to start your franchise over, you can then use whatever rosters you want to start it with, much like in play it now.
Thanks for the info Advisory.

# 127 mrsinister11 @ 08/07/08 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I'm growing tired of the poor people who don't have internet access smack. It is my opinion if you can afford to spend $300.00 to $400.00 on a gaming console and pay $60.00 per game you certainly can afford the monthly fee for internet service. If you can't maybe you should not be buying gaming consoles that were made with going on line and gaming with people all over the world as the main selling point.

can we give out an ahole of the year award on here? at least the quarter?

the term "JAGBAG" comes to mind.

# 128 hogfan @ 08/07/08 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister11
can we give out an ahole of the year award on here? at least the quarter?

the term "JAGBAG" comes to mind.
No doubt.

His reasoning was so sound, too. (sarcasm)

# 129 mrsinister11 @ 08/07/08 04:35 AM
i'm going to take this as good news, so yippie overall.

my only question is this. with regards to the cpu sliders. that's not exactly a bug or a glitch, that's just something that was decided to be removed from the game.

the reason that they are going to try and make it available later as dlc i'm assuming is because since they came out with this news there has been a huge amount of backlash both on here and other places i am sure.

so maybe in the future they should just come on here a little bit earlier and discuss the ideas/features they are throwing around for the game, so they could've been warned way in advance that this would be a terrible idea.

am i missing something here?

# 130 Kramer5150 @ 08/07/08 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I'm growing tired of the poor people who don't have internet access smack. It is my opinion if you can afford to spend $300.00 to $400.00 on a gaming console and pay $60.00 per game you certainly can afford the monthly fee for internet service. If you can't maybe you should not be buying gaming consoles that were made with going on line and gaming with people all over the world as the main selling point.
Wow....amazing

# 131 swanlee @ 08/07/08 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Wow....amazing

I think it's a valid point, an internet connection is about the least expensive part of next gen gaming and I'm glad that companies are not catering to non internet users by giving the rest of us downloadable features and game fixes.

If you can afford a next gen console and the price of next gen games and an HDTV to enjoy the games on you should be able to get a decent internet connection.

And if you living in an area that does not have board band yet just about any phone carrier can service you with a cell phone that has a broadband data connect that you can tether with your router.

# 132 Tomba @ 08/07/08 08:53 AM
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)

?

I REALLY do not understand this....

# 133 swanlee @ 08/07/08 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
$ is not the issue. It is still not good software development practice to release something you know is broken and rely on fixing it later.

Sure, some bugs that are deemed "minor" are shipped with the product but show stoppers (i.e. crashes) or regressions (i.e. things that worked in the last release but don't work in the new release) should always be fixed. Also, you should always try to fix things in areas that are most used/visible to the end user. And finally, if you add a new feature it should be as bug free as possible because nothing is worse then adding a cool feature that just doesn't work right.

Ideally you are correct. In the real world when a game like Madden is a yearly series with tight dealines that's just not going to happen.

If they can fix the game post release or add features post release they should.

I wish every game that was relased was perfect with no bugs or gameplay issues. That will never happen, at least now on consoles that problem can be solved.

# 134 canes2008 @ 08/07/08 09:33 AM
This is great news thanks Phil

# 135 ab2c4 @ 08/07/08 09:47 AM
What I hope EA has learned from all of this is that they don't need to include 85 new things in Madden every year. They should try to add 1/3 of what they normally do and use the rest of the time to make sure the game is glitch free. This way the consumers will be happier with a fully working game on day 1, and they won't have to spend man hours working on patches after release. Once the game is released the full Madden staff can start working on the next years release.

# 136 green94 @ 08/07/08 10:48 AM
Everyone wants these devs to make a game every other year right? So in essence, these guys made a game this year and then are going to follow up a month after with bug fixes and additions. Not sure what more anyone could ask for?

# 137 Pun @ 08/07/08 10:55 AM
This is so awesome. Thanks a lot Phil

# 138 rockbottom3 @ 08/07/08 11:41 AM
thank you sounds great. I can't wait to play

# 139 Kramer5150 @ 08/07/08 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
I think it's a valid point, an internet connection is about the least expensive part of next gen gaming and I'm glad that companies are not catering to non internet users by giving the rest of us downloadable features and game fixes.

If you can afford a next gen console and the price of next gen games and an HDTV to enjoy the games on you should be able to get a decent internet connection.

And if you living in an area that does not have board band yet just about any phone carrier can service you with a cell phone that has a broadband data connect that you can tether with your router.
This is NOT a vaild point. I know for a FACT that high speed internet is not available everywhere.
It's not about being able to "afford" all the high tech toys. Saying that because you can,then saying garbage about not being "able" to afford highspeed internet,is ridiculous.

# 140 swanlee @ 08/07/08 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
This is NOT a vaild point. I know for a FACT that high speed internet is not available everywhere.
It's not about being able to "afford" all the high tech toys. Saying that because you can,then saying garbage about not being "able" to afford highspeed internet,is ridiculous.
I'm sorry but companies are not going to press\replicate update CD's for all their customers each time the game gets a patch or update after release. If you are not able to get a broadband internet connection in this day and age you are going to be missing out on ALOT and not just updates and patches in games. The entire internet is currently built around broadband speeds, good luck even surfing the web nowadays on dial up. The rest of us should not be punished because of that some people are unable to obtain broadband.

The reality is a yearly series like Madden is NEVER going to launch in perfect condition. Facing that reality it is a much much better option to be able to patch and update the game automatically in a download then to have to wait till next year for them to fix the issue.

Sorry if you can't get broadband your SOL on this issue.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.