Home
News Post

The NBA Live 09 demo has been released, please download it and post your impressions here.

NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 821 HoosierDaddy @ 09/29/08 11:31 AM
I posted some pics in the NBA Live pictures thread. Let's get this thread back on topic with impressions of demo, etc..

# 822 bls @ 09/29/08 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
IMO, the game overall still lacks necessary and critical features. Crisp passing, realistic dunks, on-the-fly subs/settings, better ball physics, etc..

Something that has always bothered me in Live games -- the player models look decent, but there's not one player who is just skinny, normal or fat. They have bulging muscles with definition. Some players are just normal with very little muscle definition.

I'll still be getting the game because I feel EA is headed in the right direction, and I LOVE how EA staff is finally listening to the consumers and using our feedback. I'd want to push the envelope, so to speak, to implement and fix the basic part of the game before adding more bells and whistles in 2010.
Lacks realistic dunks? I've seen nothing but realistic dunks especially in the half court offense, unlike 2k where you do all kinds of windmills and between the leg dunks in traffic on 3 defenders. I starting to think everyone has a different type of demo lol.

# 823 infamousD @ 09/29/08 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
Lacks realistic dunks? I've seen nothing but realistic dunks especially in the half court offense, unlike 2k where you do all kinds of windmills and between the leg dunks in traffic on 3 defenders. I starting to think everyone has a different type of demo lol.
Lets not turn this to a live vrs 2k but I gotta agree with bls live done a good job this year from the demo of keeping the dunks more realistic and to the nature of the player, your not gonna be pulling the same dunks with Allen and Pierce as you would with kobe and there not over the top.

# 824 HoosierDaddy @ 09/29/08 12:56 PM
I'm talking about dunks with the off-hand for everyone. And big men underneath the basket doing tomahawk 1 handers. Those aren't realistic at all.

# 825 Beluba @ 09/29/08 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Any way to make the crowd feel more involved in the action

Full arena participation cameras flashing fans cowbells signs hecklers dancing fat guys, lol the whole nine
I can't make a game with dancing fat guys. But we definitely agree the arena needs more life.

And yeah, please put requests in the Live '10 wishlist thread.

# 826 Pared @ 09/29/08 03:03 PM
EA's sucking the life out of the OS Wish lists thread. I love it!

# 827 23 @ 09/29/08 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
I can't make a game with dancing fat guys. But we definitely agree the arena needs more life.

And yeah, please put requests in the Live '10 wishlist thread.

Sure will

# 828 bls @ 09/29/08 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I'm talking about dunks with the off-hand for everyone. And big men underneath the basket doing tomahawk 1 handers. Those aren't realistic at all.
But a between your legs Kobe allstar dunk in the middle of traffic around like 2 or 3 defenders in an actual Nba game is realisitic?

# 829 HoosierDaddy @ 09/29/08 05:22 PM
I didn't mention about 2k or between the legs dunks? What I meant by unrealistic is what I said above, that's it. Too many off-hand dunks which is unrealistic, as well as the big men doing tomahawk 1 handers.

# 830 bakesalee @ 09/29/08 08:16 PM
I'm a 2k player since this current gen (360) began, but only gave up on Live because like all EA titles, it was suffering from EAitis.

However I always enjoyed (as in, more fun playing someone) Live more in last gen (Xbox).

As I watch these videos I can't help but think that Live looks more realistic (player movements, passes). 2k can be pretty herky jerky, and I hate the weird robotic pivots to inbound the ball and stuff like that. It's looking less like a video game than the competition. I'm not seeing as many passes to someone standing 2 feet away. The court looks big as it should.

Maybe I just need something fresh.

# 831 bls @ 09/29/08 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
I'm a 2k player since this current gen (360) began, but only gave up on Live because like all EA titles, it was suffering from EAitis.

However I always enjoyed (as in, more fun playing someone) Live more in last gen (Xbox).

As I watch these videos I can't help but think that Live looks more realistic (player movements, passes). 2k can be pretty herky jerky, and I hate the weird robotic pivots to inbound the ball and stuff like that. It's looking less like a video game than the competition. I'm not seeing as many passes to someone standing 2 feet away. The court looks big as it should.

Maybe I just need something fresh.

I totally agree with you. I actually thought 2k8 was very fluid movement wise, I didn't they needed to adjust anything but the lead passing and revamp the lock on D along with making the dunks alittle more realistic. But other than that everything was good to me.

But after watching these 2k9 videos I actually feel as though they went backwards with the fluid movements. I'm not sure why so many people say live is herky jerky, because when you see the 2k9 vids its so much of that going on, no foot planting at all and the sliding is at a all time high to me.

In live when you watch the player movement and how they set up plays its just so much like basketball to me. Players move aggressive to there spots and agressively call for the ball in the low post. The fakes like there going to one spot then to another, you can tell it was 5 on 5 motion captured. But in 2k when I watch it, its kinda like the movements are lazy, players just walking around to there spots and such. Theres no since of agressiveness or urgency to me.

# 832 bls @ 09/29/08 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
what about actually playing the game. there's no denying the fluidity of the animations in 2k versus live. When watching the vids though, it's pretty close. I don't like how in live the players are so skinny though. I just finished watching the commercial, and I hate some of the dunks, just way to stiff. I like the big man finishes though.

I actually like most of the dunks that i've seen in the game. Nice to me. And I just seen an offensive foul call out on the perimeter. I've seen not only D. Fisher setup plays, but Odom and Kobe as well. Very deep.

# 833 bakesalee @ 09/30/08 12:37 PM
The video above doesn't support my case. But the posted videos on this forum "Team v. Team first quarter" (or whatever) do. They look more like a real game.

I haven't bought a version of Live for a long time (2004-05 season) but I'm sad to see the "herky jerkyness" still present in 2k. Why post that here? Because I'm getting torn up for posting it under 2k.

I like how in LIVE, players don't run faster than they can move their feet, and when "stopped" they don't go from sprinting to statue-still with no in between. It's clearly seen in 2k (player warm ups, in-game animations too) how they "look real" but when they stop moving they just kind of freeze. Rips me from being immersed.

From what someone else said too, 2k does kind of look like 1 on 1 times 5 (if this makes any sense) instead of 5 on 5. I know that sounds weird, but from the broadcast view (again, not the video a few posts up), Live actually looks like real ball. Players feet appear to be making contact with the floor. The court looks big enough. Players don't pass the ball forward/backwards to someone standing behind them.

# 834 Pared @ 09/30/08 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
2k does kind of look like 1 on 1 times 5 (if this makes any sense) instead of 5 on 5.
I don't agree but many say that about the NBA today.

# 835 sportyguyfl31 @ 09/30/08 01:04 PM
I cant believe that I have come to this decision, but I honestly think that I wont be getting a NBA 2k game this year.

I have been playing 2k since NBA 2k5 since it has been, without question, the superior product...and have been enjoying it.

Live has me sold so far. I gotta tighten the old finincial belt for the next few months, so its only 1 hoops game for me this year, and for the first time in 5 yrs, Live has a serious shot of being that game.

The 2k series is excellent and all, but I feel like I have been seeing essentially the same game since 2k7.

# 836 Tomba @ 10/02/08 10:55 AM
The final version is much better than the demo that released

# 837 23 @ 10/02/08 11:31 AM
Howso?

# 838 Pared @ 10/02/08 11:34 AM
Just seeing the variability of play among teams. You can't get that from the demo.

The crowd and audio is better... it could just be the announcers as well.

Plus, with the extended play-time you really see decent usage of the bench and how they play.

# 839 23 @ 10/02/08 11:38 AM
I must say I am looking forward to those things. I reserved the game already but it looks like i might be playing the other game for the first 6 months as usual.

I do like things I see in Live this year, but if it needs work, it needs work. If its better than the demo I can see myself having fun just playing it as a videogame and not real life in the short spurts I do get to play.

Totally curious how other teams play though.

# 840 bigfnjoe96 @ 10/02/08 01:32 PM
Anyone in the NYC looking for an EARLY REWARD (specifically the BX PM me ASAP)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.