Home
News Post

Da_Czar is back, check out the new NBA Live 09 - Czarisode 1 Constant Variation video and let us know what you think.

Quote:
"Da_Czar is back from the offseason with a bang as he brings you Czarisode 1 Constant Variation. Czar peaks into the play calling system of live 09 and sees the future."

Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jfsolo @ 09/09/08 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
JF I assure that was not the case. In fact I had to pick plays to show before I kept running the same play to get that kind of position. Pau really fought him that is why I highlighed his good post position because Pau really did get good position. now if it was because of the pressure on the ball that kept me from making the entry pass on time or if it was because of Pau I don't know. but it was def not a tip toe through the tulips...lol i had to hand pick those...

Hey Big up to everyone who stopped by and said whats up I appreciate you family .... you know how we do !!!!

Hell I had another 15 minutes of footage but had to remind myself these are suppossed to be short and sweet .LOLOL
That's good to hear. Also, I don't think any of us would have had a problem seeing the extended version of the piece.

# 22 23 @ 09/10/08 12:04 AM
LOL man, it probably took him hours to make that much

# 23 Juice Malone @ 09/10/08 12:04 AM
Get that man a marketing job. He just sold me on live 09

# 24 BigRan @ 09/10/08 01:24 AM
As I have said numerous times....... Live has truly stepped up their game. The floor spacing is a HUGE part of why these things work. I never have played from that camera view but it gives you an EXCELLENT view of the court...... and I like it MUCH better than 2k's cam.

I have been playing the demo a while and it is the 1st time in a game where I felt I could punish someone for perpetual double-teams. The spacing on the court makes it where you can pass across the court and it is too much ground for a defender to cover to block your shot (without turboing to them, but that will allow you to drive around them).

I also like the fact that if you make contact with another player you are NOT going to dunk...you are going to attempt a layup of some kind. Also, many people feel that the animations are a bit stiff (with a robotic feel)...... and while that may be true it forces people to not be able to simplyiso-dribble into the lane with ease.

# 25 Termi @ 09/10/08 06:10 AM
awesome work! keep em coming!

# 26 Jonesy @ 09/10/08 06:18 AM
Just a quick note to say thanks to Czar for putting that together, you a credit to the community.

# 27 DC @ 09/10/08 06:58 AM
I am up at 6:30 and just happened to be browsing OS. I see this video and I go turn Live on. I am going to give it another chance. I didn't like it at first and turned it off after one quarter a week ago.

Thanks Big Cazr and this play calling system is beautiful. Simple and something you would THINK was already in a basketball game. This is beautiful man

# 28 BigRan @ 09/10/08 07:10 AM
Also to Czar.......

Your video was as always...... excellent. I was unawre thate play variations were actually listed in the playbook, I simply noticed them during gameplay.

I also appreciate the fact that you try to be unbiased in your take on both games (Live and 2k). Live has definitely made some improvements to their game. I REALLY like the presure defense that will allow you to body-up on a person. I can really see this as being EXTREMELY effective against a person that is simply trying to get to the lane. By doing this and backing off, you can help keep them out of the lane as much. Especially with the defenders.

Live's improvements are the PERFECT example of why having both companies producing games is great. Live had DEFINITELY brought some improvements that 2k is going to have to address in order to stay competitve:

1) Court spacing
2) New 'Pick and Roll' control
3) Player DNA (updated rosters)

Now of course 2k still kills Live in some areas though..... The shooting in 2k COMPLETELY destroys Live. The shot-stick is simply too good, and the shooting-styles make a huge difference as well. In Live the shooters feel almost exactly the same. The shooting motions don't look right for 80% of the players. Also the free-throw shooting mechanic in Live is too easy. The best free-throw system I have ever played was in Insdie Drive on the original Xbox.

It was simple and made it difficult for poor shooters. You were likely going to miss withthem on your 1st shot because you had to adjust to the speed of the moving ball.

Anyway, let me conclude with this..... it is FINALLY nice to have 2 quality products for basketball from 2k and EA. Both will easily be getting my money this year.

# 29 Da_Czar @ 09/10/08 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
That's good to hear. Also, I don't think any of us would have had a problem seeing the extended version of the piece.
Jf I went back through my stuff and I saw that Its only through ball pressure and playing the passing lane that they keep you from getting great position. They will take away that corner pass and pressure the ball so it takes you longer to get that pass inside or make the pass a longer pass.

You are right they need to tighten that up where pau is more aggressive. What they do keeps it from getting boring though but He or other post players should be more anxious to fight. Great eye JF. I will be doing a constructive criticism vid and that will be in there.

I ran the same play for hours on end though and never got bored though. So i think that says a lot for how they address that issue.

# 30 Da_Czar @ 09/10/08 08:38 AM
Thanks again to everyone who stopped by to post. Its appreciated...

Live at first looks the same but under the covers they have a few things going right. If you can get past the things that remind you of its past there appears to be a foundation forming. I think we as a sim community have to be loud about what they are doing right that we like and help the newbys so they don't go back to the old way of doing things.

They have Super B on deck. We already know what he can do and he is like having one of our own in the EA dev meetings pushing more of a sim product. All of us 2k fans know what happened when he put that 2k8 animations thread in right after 2k7 launched.... 2k8 was NIiiiice. hehe.

I think were in for one Hell of a hoop season this year !!!

# 31 ehh @ 09/10/08 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
ahhhh i get it now. it just SHOWS up in the playbook and lets me seeing the 4 variation animations... letting me know whats up.. Perfect execution on their part imo. instead of being in the dark, I can get an understanding.
Yeah, I didn't understand it at all until this video. I'm on PS3 so I haven't played the demo yet. Needless to say I was very excited after watching the video.

# 32 DC @ 09/10/08 09:17 AM
Man these playbooks are vicious. I am loving it forreal. I just am so used to using the shot stick to shoot that I am a ******** Live player at the moment. Still don't know if I would buy both games though. $60 is a lot of $

# 33 BigRan @ 09/10/08 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Thanks again to everyone who stopped by to post. Its appreciated...

Live at first looks the same but under the covers they have a few things going right. If you can get past the things that remind you of its past there appears to be a foundation forming. I think we as a sim community have to be loud about what they are doing right that we like and help the newbys so they don't go back to the old way of doing things.
Can't stress this enough. I was like some of you and felt initially that Live was the same as last year.... but after playing some games and running trough some of the plays, you can definitely see the benefit.

For the first time, this game makes screens a valid threat. Players like Rip Hamilton, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen are going t obecome so much more effective for the pop and shoot. I can now truly abuse people who simply try to double team the whole game because the spacing is going to allow me to find someone OPEN. And by open I mean that i swill be able to ake an uncontested shot with them in that location. That is real basketball my friends. It is part of the risk-reward you gamble on after a switch that create a mismathc and how you choose to handle it. In the past you could simply double-team and take a large man in the middle of the lane and he could defelct allot of the passes to you open man. And to make matters worse, the defender could close that gap to you once-open man by the time he has the ball.

I agree with the Czar, we have been blasting EA for not being SIM and not taking real NBA tendencies into account. I think they have stepped up and are improving. I can say that they actually are doing some thing better (and in some ways alot better) than 2k now.

EA should be commended for that. the beauty o this is that now 2k has some option to consider putting into their game next year.

# 34 ehh @ 09/10/08 10:03 AM
I agree, this is something that is MAJOR, imo. Even with innovations like 2K's "show the play diagram on the floor" last year, basketball has still be extremely far behind in terms of team play, running plays, making reads and reacting, etc. Basketball games have for the most part been isolation games and quick-hitters. Hopefully this will change all that forever.

# 35 WTF @ 09/10/08 11:10 AM
Excellent video my man. You never cease to amaze me. Can't wait for the PS3 demo to drop, so I can play this for myself. Definitely looks like they've addressed the things that we've been asking for.. and "Super B" is bringing over what he's brought to every titlte he's worked with.

Very nice Czar!

# 36 frostbyte06 @ 09/10/08 12:09 PM
Let me join the list of people admitting that I didn't give Live a long enough look. Czar, nice video and analysis you held it down as usual. Only a few more weeks, what will I do?....guess I can watch some Olympic basketball re-runs.

# 37 highpressure @ 09/10/08 12:23 PM
Czar. You Da Man!

Thanks for breaking down the bball games each year. Honestly, I think a lot of people would never know that so much more exist in these games than meets the eye, without these very detailed, and professionally created vids of yours.

I always love your in-depth explanations, and attention to every single detail of the elements of the game you are demonstrating. You truly bring to light many things that would otherwise be hidden from the casual gamer. Great job man! Keep up the excellent work!

# 38 23 @ 09/10/08 12:37 PM
Tell him hp

Czar, hp this is an old NBA Inside Drive head so you know things have to be right to impress him

He knows his stuff and so do you and honestly, something good is going to happen for you with this stuff one day. Keep it up man

# 39 Stumbleweed @ 09/10/08 12:49 PM
Finally got around to watching this -- great stuff, as always. I'm gonna play some more tonight -- haven't played in a few days and I want to explore all these variations. The whole system is clearer now after watching the video.

# 40 SageInfinite @ 09/10/08 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Tell him hp

Czar, hp this is an old NBA Inside Drive head so you know things have to be right to impress him

He knows his stuff and so do you and honestly, something good is going to happen for you with this stuff one day. Keep it up man

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.