Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted the features list for Major League Baskeball 2K9.

Quote:
"As expected it appears that they’ve attempted to simplify several aspects of the game. The trading card system looks to have been improved and more has been done to add to the authenticity of the experience. Providing the basics such as a smooth framerate and solid online performance are a necessity for this year, but other than those things is there enough here to deliver the game consumers have been hoping for?"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Stroehms @ 01/09/09 01:10 AM
Favorite Quote:

Quote:
Hitting
  • Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls.
  • New bunting controls – Improved bunting will make it easier to lay down a bunt.
  • Zone hitting – Users will be able to put the bat on the ball with our new zone hitting feature.
  • Hit distribution – Improved hit distribution for a wide variety of hits.
Fielding
  • Fielding – Upgraded fielding system with new ability to quick throw when in a rush.
  • Fielding AI – Improved fielding AI will highlight the player’s true ability.
  • Quick Throws – Quick throws will allow the user to throw on the run or start a double play quicker.
  • Hold the ball – Users will be able to cancel a throw and throw to a different direction on the fly.
Baserunning
  • Simplified controls for the user for stealing and baserunning.
Signature Style
  • More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.

# 22 bcruise @ 01/09/09 01:28 AM
They really shouldn't have put in this line -

- Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time

That sounds like EA's "If it's in the game, it's in the game" and we all know how much water that holds...

Still, the specific stuff they mentioned underneath that sounds interesting.

# 23 Blzer @ 01/09/09 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King LeJon #23
There is not one single intriguing new feature....won't be buying.
You must be one of those "*****" types. History aside, on paper, this game's features sound very intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
They really shouldn't have put in this line -

- Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time

That sounds like EA's "If it's in the game, it's in the game" and we all know how much water that holds...
Strange, I saw it as the exact opposite. I don't think you are interpreting this feature correctly. Allow me to elaborate:

This game's cut scenes will not be pre-generated angles, actions, etc. They will all be on-the-fly. The game is not split up into different loading times by batter, inning, what have you. Everything is unanticipated, and can lead to perhaps smoother running commentary and such, since we're not really "skipping" time.

Let's say a batter flies out. He'll go back to the dugout, the ball will get back into the infield and to the pitcher, the man on deck will approach the box as his name is announced, another batter will reach the on deck circle, the vendor will keep walking down the steps, the Coriolis effect will have the sun appear to be moving, and we may have multiple different camera cuts of whatever it is we need, or even an automatic replay.

Here's an example of how another game, even The Show, would work: your batter flies out, there is a pre-generated cut scene of something that we've seen 10,000 times already, or we can skip it by pressing X and go onto the next batter, already up to the plate and ready to go. Here's the problem: the game doesn't recall anything prior to the pitch before the fly out. We can't backtrack the pitch before that, the batter before, the inning... nothing like that. It all has to reload. Think of it like any FPS game that you play, where the story waits for you to reach it to coincidentally "drop in" on the dialogue, or just see the bad guy in time. 2K9 is not like that. The NBA 2K series has been going the same route the last couple of years. If there is a foul, players actually assemble to their spots instead of the players reloading to where they need to go, and they actually go on and off the bench.

All of this real time stuff is a very good thing, and IMO if done correctly can bring this series in the right direction.

The problem still is whether this on-paper stuff is all that it is. I mean, aside from the Lincecum rendering, we have yet to even see a screenshot of this game. Who knows what it's going to look or play like? The replay feature thing sounds fantastic, but who gives a hoot if the game is unplayable?

I'm happy to hear about zone hitting. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come, and hopefully us PS3 owners have a valid choice this year between two strong baseball games. The one downer is there is not a shred of information on franchise stuff, but IMO that's expected with the gameplay turnaround they need to start making, plus they need something to get FOM to sell.

Thank goodness VC took control.

# 24 bonannogiovanni @ 01/09/09 04:47 AM
I really like what I read, at last we'll be able to influence fly and ground ball, gesture pitching is still there, and welcome back dynamic crowd! However not a single word on franchise mode, that baffles me.....

# 25 areobee401 @ 01/09/09 07:59 AM
I may be in the minority here but what I see on that list has me excited. My biggest issues are all being addressed. Improved frame rate and online play(although with sliders in league play online will be a bust for me) , better presentation , and improving what is already in the game.

I think this game will surprise some people. I'm not saying it will be a sports game of the year winner but I have a feeling it will offer a solid baseball experience.

# 26 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/09/09 08:36 AM
Outside of a couple of New Additions, It really seems like VC is trying to get the basic to work properly ala the NHL series. Hitting Fielding & Pitching. As for Animations I really hope they slow some of the animations down. especially the way both the Infielders & the Outfielders throw the ball during the game.

Now we need a couple of screen shots t hold us over for the weekend

# 27 boomhauertjs @ 01/09/09 08:39 AM
I'm not a big fan of zone hitting. I wonder if you'll be able to change hitting and pitching modes. It will be interesting to see what this game looks like.

# 28 nemesis04 @ 01/09/09 08:54 AM
It is great to see the series is going back to the basics. The list goes over some necessary components to have a great experience. Refined pitching, zone hitting some nice fielding and throwing features, looks good! I am intrigued once again!

# 29 HealyMonster @ 01/09/09 09:10 AM
The feature list is good enough for me, but I def. want to make sure to what degree some of this stuff is implemented. Zone hitting and improved framerate, baserunning and fielding controls with some gameplay tweaks is enough for me, but you never know with these guys. they add a new throwing animation and the have to retool the graphics or something\..

# 30 BigL @ 01/09/09 09:29 AM
There are no major features because there are no major features really needed. MLB 2K is an underrated, solid baseball game. If they just correct the glitch from last year where the AI never stole bases, fix the ridiculous framerate, go back to teh 2k7 player models (and even improve those maybe) and polish up other areas of the game it will be a very enjoyable game to play unless ther are some other back breaking glitches.

# 31 Shakedowncapo @ 01/09/09 09:59 AM
Sorry man, those glitch/framerate issues don't = "solid baseball game"

# 32 Fatalah @ 01/09/09 10:29 AM
So happy we finally have some info to talk about.

I got the same idea after reading the list-- it seems very conservative. Reminds me of when The Bigs came out. It was a brand new engine, so Blue Castle just focused on the basics.

I hope we have a new engine instead of the ancient one we've had to play all these years.

# 33 Trevytrev11 @ 01/09/09 11:34 AM
Zone hitting is nice, but right above that was:

Quote:
Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls
I hope these are either two different systems or they are saying that the zone hitting system will influence a flyball or a groundball (but seems they would have put these together if that was the case) because otherwise these two systems shouldn't work together.

Most of that list was just fluff to me-HR derby, Trophies, Reelmaker, etc.

The only things that really interests me (for good or bad) are the new hitting and pitching controls and the "quick throw" as there is nothing worse than having your player go into a slow, drawn out animation when trying to make a simple quick toss.

It would have been nice to read "NO MEATBALLS!" and something about franchise, though.

This one is laughable, though

Quote:
Signature Style
  • More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.
As if they only thing that determines a games realism is the fact that they have a players pre-bat ritual or batting stance right. Who cares that Juan Pierre can hit bombs and Johnny Damon has a cannon, as long as they move like them for a short part of the game.

How about no meatballs and a stolen base every once in a while

# 34 Pared @ 01/09/09 11:41 AM
Take a note right now: Do not make the influence hit mechanic too influential and powerful.

That's all I ask.

# 35 nemesis04 @ 01/09/09 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Zone hitting is nice, but right above that was:

I hope these are either two different systems or they are saying that the zone hitting system will influence a flyball or a groundball (but seems they would have put these together if that was the case) because otherwise these two systems shouldn't work together.
Depends on how well it is programmed. If pitch type, location and timing take precedence over the influence inputted, the system can be successful. If you input an influence command and get the desired result without taking into account pitch type, location and timing, then the feature is basically useless.

# 36 BigL @ 01/09/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Sorry man, those glitch/framerate issues don't = "solid baseball game"
I dont know about you but with the right sliders I was getting very realistic games on last year's 2K except for stolen bases, the reason why I sold it off right away is because I refused to play a baseball game where teh AI never ever stole bases.

To each his own I guess.

# 37 Trevytrev11 @ 01/09/09 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Depends on how well it is programmed. If pitch type, location and timing take precedence over the influence inputted, the system can be successful. If you input an influence command and get the desired result without taking into account pitch type, location and timing, then the feature is basically useless.
I see what your saying, but if the zone system works, the location and timing of the swing should have full determination of the outcome. You should not be able to swing over a ball and hit it in the air and you should not be able to swing way under a pitch and hit a line drive. And it is impossible to swing early and not pull the ball or swing late and not hit it to the opposite field.

If any other modfier makes these things possible, then they system is not realistic.

If we're talking just a 9 zone system where you guess right and make contact, then I guess the modifier would be ok, but then it just becomes a hit the ball in the air by pressing up or on the ground by pressing down system with a twist.

# 38 ltw0303cavs @ 01/09/09 11:55 AM
HEY IF THEY LINCECUMS WINDUP RIGHT IM ALL FOR THAT, SHOW DID NOT DO A GOOD JOB ON THAT ONE LOL (PICKY I KNOW LOL) I WILL SAY THIS REMEMBER ONE THING REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE FEATURE SET, BE THANKFUL FOR COMPETITION, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT MADDEN AND SEE HOW EXCLUSIVITY HAS HURT THE QUALITY. LOOK HOW MUCH NBA LIVE IMPROVED AND HOW MADDEN HAS STAGNATED, THATS WHY EVEN THOUGH I LOVE THE SHOW, I WILL NEVER PUT DOWN ANYBODY THAT BUYS 2K9

# 39 Trevytrev11 @ 01/09/09 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Take a note right now: Do not make the influence hit mechanic to influential powerful.

That's all I ask.
I thought of it more as a press up to put the ball in the air, down for the ground. Right for right field, left for left fiield, etc.

Power never crossed my mind, just direction and trajectory.

# 40 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/09/09 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Totally agree. Maybe that's why we got a Pitcher on the cover of the game this year...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.