Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

It’s been crazy busy here at Tiburon trying to finish the game. On top of that I had to travel a few times so I have not been around the boards much lately . Anyway the last few days have been interesting with the game-play talk and I think it’s worth pointing out the list of stuff we’ve already talked about that is in NCAA 10 (well have it all in one post).

This stuff is from blogs on insideblog.easports.com so I’m going to be short on the details:

Pass Blocking
  • Branch Windows
  • Steering and Manipulation
Adaptive AI
  • CPU will adapt to your play calling
Catch Steering
  • Catches near the sideline will try and turn you up field
WR/Defensive Back Interactions
  • Route Running and Man Coverage
  • WR/DB Jostling
  • Press / Release
Layered Blending
  • Throwing when being hit
Inaccurate Passing
  • Passes miss in a more logical direction (not random)
Procedural Awareness
  • Head Tracking
Pursuit Angles
  • Sideline Pursuit
Then there is stuff that has not been blogged about, only talked about on some forum posts...

CPU Passing improved
  • They will throw down field more often
Defensive Line will get up and tip passes
  • And I mean tipped, not just knocked down
Break out of tackles
  • From Madden 09 you can try and break out of tackles after they start
Intercepting Pitches
  • You can actually catch a pitch if you get in-between the QB and the pitch man (instead of it just bouncing off you and hitting the ground)
Two Man Tackles
  • Another one from Madden 09
Non-Catch Catches
  • Players will go for a catch even when they will not catch the ball
Slips on Routes
  • In bad weather players have a chance to slip when running routes
Tons of new animations (examples below):
  • Tackles
  • Over the Shoulder Catches
  • Motion Hand-offs
  • Shotgun Hand-offs
Then we still have some talking to do about the details of Game-Planning, Linked Plays, and Defensive Keys in the next few weeks...

I guess my point is to simply remind everyone that Game-Play is a huge focus for us on NCAA and it is easy to forget all the stuff we've been talking about for months

-Russ Kiniry
Designer NCAA Football 10

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jbdeuce @ 05/15/09 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhobbs321813
i love ncaa football games i just wish it wasnt always the maybe next year thing
same feelings here

# 42 65South @ 05/15/09 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
Intercepting Pitches
You can actually catch a pitch if you get in-between the QB and the pitch man (instead of it just bouncing off you and hitting the ground)
This is great news, something I've been looking for for a while. But I'm still trying to find info on actual QB pitches...One of my biggest frustrations has been when you're hitting a QB or even have him wrapped up, he can still get off a perfect pitch with no consequence.

This post by Russell is the first I'd heard on anything option pitch related, but has anybody seen or come across anything else?

# 43 Gossennator @ 05/15/09 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_Kiniry_EA
Yeah we moved the defensive line moves to the Right Stick and revisited how they work. You will try and go left or right off a block with the stick instead of trying to pick Power Move of Finesse move... the game will pick what your player is better at.
Will the bull rush move work this year?

# 44 stylee @ 05/15/09 10:55 AM
I thought I saw an offensive line double team in one video (FL vs FSU from a while back - Tebow running some sort of Jet Option).

This hasn't really been discussed very much but it seems like a big thing to me. I'm still last-gen and I don't think I ever saw double-teams in 09, so if they had them in this-gen 09, tell me.

If it's possible to do this, I would think it would open up all sorts of possibilities for "smarter" line play - like, maybe, giving you a real read on zone read.
But that's already been denied: in one of those blog videos, dude said "no, you won't actually see an unblocked defensive end..."

So I'm still just curious as to how that's not possible.
Is it really just about over-speeded defensive players?

# 45 greenegt @ 05/15/09 11:00 AM
In yesterday's SS video, I did see the QB stroll out of the pocket and stand to the side, while the pocket was still going on in the middle. I hope that's not going to be a problem with the retail build.

# 46 hrd12 @ 05/15/09 11:20 AM
Russ,
Thanks for the list, and taking the time to join us. I can't wait to hear more about the game!

# 47 Young J 334 @ 05/15/09 01:28 PM
Awesome! The Tebow Gods have answered our prayers!

# 48 Nature_Boy @ 05/15/09 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info Russ.

# 49 SHO @ 05/15/09 03:40 PM
Meh, but as long as defense is back in the game I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

# 50 bamaCT12 @ 05/17/09 04:42 PM
does anyone know if there better one-handed catch animations?

# 51 Allaboutme @ 05/17/09 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hitter
How do you know it is fixed?
He is as sure that it is fixed as you are skeptical that it isnt.

# 52 jerryrice4949 @ 05/17/09 05:11 PM
Until there is some talk about better CPU playcalling, execution and running I will not be convinced the gameplay is better. So many times in 09 the only time the CPU would score is if they returned Ints for TDs. The CPU offense is 09 was horrible and there has been only passing mention of offense being much better in 2010.

# 53 miamicanes504 @ 05/17/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrice4949
Until there is some talk about better CPU playcalling, execution and running I will not be convinced the gameplay is better. So many times in 09 the only time the CPU would score is if they returned Ints for TDs. The CPU offense is 09 was horrible and there has been only passing mention of offense being much better in 2010.
It was the total opposite for me, the CPU offense was unstoppable when it wanted to be. I could take USC and shut down FCS Southeast the entire game, but on the last drive it would robo-QB its way down the field and score. Their 72 rated receiver would catch a drag with the 95 rated corner 2-3 steps behind, and when the corner caught him, he would do the greased pig animation. Their receivers would hold their blocks on my linebackers and safeties, as the receiver turns up the field and scores 60 yards later. And thats only if he doesn't feel like hurdling someone before he gets there.

Honestly, I never understood when people say the CPU has no offense.

# 54 jerryrice4949 @ 05/17/09 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes504
It was the total opposite for me, the CPU offense was unstoppable when it wanted to be. I could take USC and shut down FCS Southeast the entire game, but on the last drive it would robo-QB its way down the field and score. Their 72 rated receiver would catch a drag with the 95 rated corner 2-3 steps behind, and when the corner caught him, he would do the greased pig animation. Their receivers would hold their blocks on my linebackers and safeties, as the receiver turns up the field and scores 60 yards later. And thats only if he doesn't feel like hurdling someone before he gets there.

Honestly, I never understood when people say the CPU has no offense.
No offense but that suprises me. I play on Heisman with all CPU sliders at 100 and most of my sliders around 20. The CPU rarely scores more than 20 a game and I have not lost to the CPU in months. The CPU always has a drive killer like running the QB choice with a QB with a speed of 60. If not that, it always seems to have runs for negative yards every drive killing its momentum and forcing it to punt. While the CPU defense sucks, I found the CPU playcalling and ability to run terrible on offense.

# 55 LtClaybon @ 05/18/09 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami01
Intercepting pitches. I've wanted this for years.
It was do-able in several versions of NCAA

# 56 Happyvally74 @ 05/18/09 09:22 AM
To be Honest, I enjoyed knocking the pitch away with my back.

# 57 umd @ 05/18/09 10:09 AM
it's better than having it bounce off your facemask.

# 58 GetYaWeigtUp @ 05/18/09 10:19 AM
I see they have the breakout engine in NCAA this year where you can breakout of tackle animations for more yards. I hope this isnt overdone like it was in Madden 09, where your 170lb RB would be falling backwards, and one slight tap of right stick and he miraculously plunged ahead for an extra 3 yards. I like the idea, but it wasnt realistic when it happened like that. You cant plunge ahead like that without any momentum at all.

Anyone know if this has been tweaked some?

# 59 noplace @ 05/18/09 01:24 PM
NCAA doesnt look like it addressed its gameplay flaws like speed & OL/DL play. Those vids I've seen looks like a pocket is forming but suction blocking is still in full affect. Still looks very jerky & unrealistic.

# 60 Russell_Kiniry_EA @ 05/18/09 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'm 99% sure there is only one gameplay camera although it's been updated to give a better view of the passing game. But no custom options. They did add the player lock camera angle on both offense and defense.
This is correct. Camera has been improved and player lock gives you all kinds of new angles depending on what player you pick.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.