Home
BCFX News Post

It's not surprising that a non-EA football game is generating a bit of intrigue and hype prior to release, but what’s unusual about Black College Football Xperience is that it has garnered some attention for the wrong reasons. Some people are not interested in what the game has to offer on the field, but instead are interested in the title of the game.

In two weeks, Operation Sports will be reviewing Nerjyzed Entertainment's Black College Football Xperience: The Doug Williams Edition for the Xbox 360. Rather than ignore this issue and let it cloud over our review, Operation Sports is here to tackle the issue head-on in this article, so that the review can be solely devoted to what’s coded into the game disc -- instead of what’s written on the game's box.

Read More - Black College Football - The Xperience: What's behind the Name?

Game: Black College Football: The XperienceReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 raz77 @ 07/11/09 12:13 AM
Well there is a pretty big difference between BCFX and a hypothetical WCFX IMO. Mainly because any Historically white colleges would have been created by excluding other races. While with BCFX you're dealing with those who were excluded.

# 22 rockchisler @ 07/11/09 12:19 AM
apologies to ufgators and t11 I was reading to fast, my bad..feel like a idiot.

# 23 TracerBullet @ 07/11/09 12:32 AM
No offense taken rockchisler. Happens to me all the time haha.

# 24 rockchisler @ 07/11/09 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
No, at this point in history you are not. No one attending Grambling or UAPB has been excluded from anywhere else. And true, no is being excluded from these schools by any rule or regulation.

But it is common sense that, all other things being equal (academics for instance)---if I'm a white person, I'm not going to be nearly as comfortable going somewhere that designates itself as a "Black" College. And of course then the question is, is that my fault or the school's. I don't know exactly, but I tend to think it's the schools fault, because they are the one introducing this element, not me as the white student.

The same goes for churches. Here in the south, we still have churches they call themselves 'Black' churches. And all over the country, black fraternities do not participate in the Inter-Fraternity or Pan-Hellenic councils of their schools, but rather in their own 'black fraternity' organizations.

Like I said, the list goes on. But the theme is the same: black people have gone from being segregated, to segregating themselves. And I think that is sad--though not entirely their fault as a culture to be sure.

At this point, I simply think it is antiquated to have these labels in a time when we are lead by a black man named Obama.

My whole point in this, is that these schools need to drop the label. It began in an entirely different time and place, and has no more significance now than the Rebel flag does (which has, for years, been mislabled and abused as a symbol of racism--which it is certainly not. Anyone who has truly studied the Civil War knows that racism was a tiny, tiny fraction of the issues which lead to the conflict. The Union did NOT go to war with the South to free the slaves--it was simply a small part of the package that, over time, was crafted into the central theme of the conflict. I will challenge anyone to debate that historical fact. The average white Southerner at the time lived in conditions that, while not as bad as most black people of the time, was still very deplorable and only worsened after the war.)
Dude I think you are completely missing the point and no one can change it or open your mind, also you wont feel comfortable going to a school that consider itself a black college? Aww poor feelings, like black people were comfortable desegregating Ole Miss. Matter of fact how bout Black students that go to schools that were segregated just not to long ago. Your lost, heaven forbid you have to be in a area were you are a minority, oh wait we as Black people do that our whole lives. Thanks

# 25 rockchisler @ 07/11/09 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
No offense taken rockchisler. Happens to me all the time haha.
Naw man I should have read it all the way...my bad

# 26 SHO @ 07/11/09 12:45 AM
What is concerning is white people always try and read into things too far, making every time that a slightest inkling of race is brought up in civil discussion they are immediately quick throw out the Denial Card - the white equivelancy of the Race Card.

Lifetime = women's channel. Sexist?
Telemundo = Spanish channel. Racist?
Asian News Network = asian channel. Racist?
LOGO = gay channel. Sexist?

Noooo, but put black in front something like a video game and the people want to **** a brick.

The WET, HWCU is a strawman argument that I'm sick of seeing being brought up because the majority of television has predominantly white audiences, along with predominantly white shows, and predominantly white characters. Most universities up until recently were ALL historically white universities.

FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS are four examples of channels that are primarily catered to a white audience and lest we forget those guys also have subsidery channel. There is ONE channel for shows primarily catered to black audiences (BET), as their are to other demographics like the aforementioned. All of these channels and of all the niche channels on television BET is the one that roughens people goat so much as to complain about it? Really, guys? And if you have an issue with the naming of BET, please take that up to the owners of Viacom, who also MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, CMT and CBS.

[/rant]

# 27 SHO @ 07/11/09 12:54 AM
Semi-OT: I really suggest this article to anyone.

http://www.counterpunch.org/wise04242006.html

# 28 Jukeman @ 07/11/09 12:54 AM
^^Dont forget CMT....Dont thnk Ive ever seen a black person on that channel......

Also their are racist underground video games made by neo nazis....A football game with HBCU's is hardly racist....Gawd forbid EA having authentic representation of HBCU, when I played at Grambling in NCAA07 which had everyone in the crowd "white" nobody complained about that right?

# 29 DirrtySouth78 @ 07/11/09 01:07 AM
Ya know, I do get tired of some of the back and forth banter about this game. Ok so the name says black football experience big deal. In a way its a selling point to some. For better or worse some of these colleges are known as that in general public. Yes all races can go but if you find a general sports fan and bring up Grambling state some of them might say "U mean the Black college?". People also know they have great halftime shows with a band that can bring in people as easily as the actual teams playing on the field. They are not even remotely trying to insinuate a racial thing. instead they are using a different football experience to get people to look at the game.

People get so up in arms about the race thing, and always want to throw it out there, even when its not intended. Whens the last time U heard someone say "Hey lets go to the Penn State game to see the band at halftime". If people wouldn't focus on the whole "OMG this game is racist" and actually look at what they are trying to say with the title, they would see what it is trying to get across.

IMO its a non issue. But there are always people who will disagree and sometimes they disagree just because its what they do. THis title is in no-way marketed for only one race, its merely the easiest way for the developers to associate what atmosphere thier game is designed from. Even if your not a fan of those schools/environment most people atleast understand how the atmosphere around those games are. Its y alot of people watch the Southern/Grambling game every year. Its something you don't get out of the normal CFB game on ESPN on Saturday afternoons. If you don't like the name thats fine, but there is no reason for you to go on to a website and start rambling about racism and try to get people to join your cause.

Now I'm not accusing anyone here or on any other place directly, just pointing out if you understood the position the developers were taking or were anything other than someone trying to cause a stir it wouldn't matter. Making mountain out of a molehill nothing more. You can comeback and say this and that but at end of day people who understand what approach they taking get it the rest of you just don't.

And bringing up music and words is like comparing apples to oranges. You do realize they are entertainers and do what they do to make money right? Justifying a guy based on his music isn't always best thing to do. while some pour thier heart n soul into it others just entertain. Its like saying u know what kinda person an actor is because you saw him in a few movies

# 30 Fox1994 @ 07/11/09 01:11 AM
Quote:
I'm not going the racist route here. But I do think a double standard exists here of what is accepted and what is not accepted when it comes to the distinction between "Historically Black" Colleges, "Black" Entertainment Television, the constant use of the "N" word in rap music, and so on.

If someone called Notre Dame or Harvard "Historically" White Schools, there'd be a problem. If such a thing as "White Entertainment" Television existed, there'd be a backlash. And when a white DJ uses language to describe black female basketball players that is no different than how rappers describe black females in general, he nearly loses his job.

The list goes on.

So what do I object to? Nothing really. It is no skin off my back that they call this game whatever they want. But I get sick of the constant 'woe is me' attitude in concerns to racism that black people in general always seem to fall back on whenever something makes them look bad---Rev. Wright for example. And yet, they still categorize their 'historically black' colleges as just that. Instead of just, say, a college like any other.

And by the way...I went to LA Tech for a year, right next door to Grambling. Had some friends from work over there at the time and used to go to the odd party with the Phi Beta Sigmas. Maybe saw one or two white students in that year who were students there. Are these schools segregating themselves? Maybe not by barring admission, but they certainly are by holding onto an antiquated term like "Historically Black" Colleges. I live about 30 miles from UAPB, another HBC. Same story as Grambling.

Frankly, the term should have been left in the last century. Same goes for BET. Until that starts happening, I think the term "reverse racism" will only continue to gain steam---especially with people like Al Sharpton and Rev. Wright making the kind of headlines they do.

Anyway, take it for what it is. And don't begin to label me a racist, as I'm nothing of the sort.
There are historically white colleges and television stations. They're just of two minds about it - they're not open about this fact and in some cases they're trying to reverse this trend.

HBCU's exist because it used to be extremely difficult for people of color to get in white universities. Just like women were relegated to their own colleges exclusive from men.

Similarly, BET exists because its creators didn't feel like 'mainstream' telelivision did a good job representing things black people could relate to. Of course, I have mixed feelings on BET, but that's another discussion for another day.

# 31 TracerBullet @ 07/11/09 01:16 AM
Great post dirrtysouth! The atmosphere is what they really are trying to get out of the title. I posted it somewhere else but I've said before that I think that the bands in this game will be a big reason a lot of people purchase this game. I honestly think that at some of these games in real life the bands are the reason about 50% of the people are there lol.

# 32 Jukeman @ 07/11/09 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirrtySouth78
Ya know, I do get tired of some of the back and forth banter about this game. Ok so the name says black football experience big deal. In a way its a selling point to some. For better or worse some of these colleges are known as that in general public. Yes all races can go but if you find a general sports fan and bring up Grambling state some of them might say "U mean the Black college?". People also know they have great halftime shows with a band that can bring in people as easily as the actual teams playing on the field. They are not even remotely trying to insinuate a racial thing. instead they are using a different football experience to get people to look at the game.

People get so up in arms about the race thing, and always want to throw it out there, even when its not intended. Whens the last time U heard someone say "Hey lets go to the Penn State game to see the band at halftime". If people wouldn't focus on the whole "OMG this game is racist" and actually look at what they are trying to say with the title, they would see what it is trying to get across.

IMO its a non issue. But there are always people who will disagree and sometimes they disagree just because its what they do. THis title is in no-way marketed for only one race, its merely the easiest way for the developers to associate what atmosphere thier game is designed from. Even if your not a fan of those schools/environment most people atleast understand how the atmosphere around those games are. Its y alot of people watch the Southern/Grambling game every year. Its something you don't get out of the normal CFB game on ESPN on Saturday afternoons. If you don't like the name thats fine, but there is no reason for you to go on to a website and start rambling about racism and try to get people to join your cause.

Now I'm not accusing anyone here or on any other place directly, just pointing out if you understood the position the developers were taking or were anything other than someone trying to cause a stir it wouldn't matter. Making mountain out of a molehill nothing more. You can comeback and say this and that but at end of day people who understand what approach they taking get it the rest of you just don't.

And bringing up music and words is like comparing apples to oranges. You do realize they are entertainers and do what they do to make money right? Justifying a guy based on his music isn't always best thing to do. while some pour thier heart n soul into it others just entertain. Its like saying u know what kinda person an actor is because you saw him in a few movies
"In life you can't always explain things to people. Sometimes u have to let them pass judgement, and laugh at dem mofo's"

# 33 texbuk84 @ 07/11/09 02:20 AM
do yo thing black man.

# 34 stefangrey @ 07/11/09 02:35 AM
We already have Historically White College Football. It's called NCAA 10.

HBCUs may not technically segregate, but then neither does the Philadelphia High School for Girls. But what kind of looks are you going to get if your a guy and it says you graduated from Girls High? The Philadelphia Central High school for Boys had to change it's name (to just CHS) when girls were allowed in. So if you run a HBCU and you allow all races, then stop calling it a HBCU.

It's sad, but a lot of the above guys are right, it IS racist because the opposite scenario would be racist. I can't create Ivory Magazine. I can't start the WET. I can't found the NAAWP. I can't even sue because affirmative action allows a less qualified minority get ahead of me because of race. And I can't wear a "Yes We Can" or "My President is White" T-Shirt if teh next president is a white guy.

Oh, and this isn't the first game in the series. You could get the PC game last year if you sent away with some UPCs from Famous Amos cookies.

# 35 rockchisler @ 07/11/09 02:44 AM
Quote:
Give me a break.

I don't think I'm the one with the closed mind here. I'm saying that, in this day and age, you don't need schools being designated as a Black College. It's unnecessary, period.

As for awwww poor feelings......no feelings here. I'm only pointing out the irony of a group of people who fought to end segregation, only to basically segregate themselves by silly terms like this. I think you are the one getting your feelings hurt here.

Lost? I think it's obvious I know exactly where I am here.

As for Ole Miss....lol, glad you brought that up. Had a good, black friend of mine end up playing football for the Rebels several years ago. When he came back from his recruiting trip that fall, I would say, judging by the pictures, that he had NO problem with segregation.

But, it is obvious what your agenda is. Something like:

"White people owe me money, because their great-great-great-great-great grandfathers had slaves"---an actual argument made by blacks that has been in the news not that long ago. (Even though it is a historical fact that most white people in the south did not have the means to own slaves, and that in Africa, many tribes utilized the slave trade to get rich or eliminate rival tribes. In fact, the argument could easily be made that slavery would not have happened without the assistance of blacks in Africa.)

"We've been victims of racism our whole lives, we live our whole lives as minorities."----typical mantra of people like Sharpton, Wright, and you. Nevermind that we now have a black president, affirmative action (which has in some cases given black students opportunities they didn't earn. Thinking of the 60 minutes episode in which white students were denied entry into the University of Michigan despite better qualifications than the black students. Further reference: http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/affirm.html

As for living as a minority your whole life....

http://www.prb.org/pdf06/06WorldDataSheet.pdf
http://globalgrind.com/source/www.be...betcom-betcom/

I hate to bust your impassioned argument with cold fact, but whites are the minority worldwide, and soon will be here in the US as well. If you have an issue living as a minority, as tacky as this will sound, there are plenty of places you could live comfortably as a part of the majority. A fact that I am sure you will construe in some unfortunate way.
Whites are the Minority worldwide, ill give you that But I don't care about over seas, but you have all the power, and I never said that about whites owe me money, Dude what planet are you from?????? You are starting a argument about something that was not said...And its NOT designated as black colleges its Historically Black colleges. You are not as smart as you think my dude..Also Your friend who went to Ole Miss several years ago...Of course did not have issues with segregation since it ended a few decades ago. I was talking about back in the 60's..I can tell you didn't go to college just based on your conversation in here, you are so uninformed but talk real big...

# 36 rockchisler @ 07/11/09 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefangrey

HBCUs may not technically segregate, but then neither does the Philadelphia High School for Girls. But what kind of looks are you going to get if your a guy and it says you graduated from Girls High? The Philadelphia Central High school for Boys had to change it's name (to just CHS) when girls were allowed in. So if you run a HBCU and you allow all races, then stop calling it a HBCU.

It's sad, but a lot of the above guys are right, it IS racist because the opposite scenario would be racist. I can't create Ivory Magazine. I can't start the WET. I can't found the NAAWP. I can't even sue because affirmative action allows a less qualified minority get ahead of me because of race. And I can't wear a "Yes We Can" or "My President is White" T-Shirt if teh next president is a white guy.

Oh, and this isn't the first game in the series. You could get the PC game last year if you sent away with some UPCs from Famous Amos cookies.
Wow Really????? If you have nothing good to say don't say anything.

# 37 SHO @ 07/11/09 03:07 AM
I find it upsetting that you called well-documented hundreds of years of turmoil as victimizing, and then write it off as if everything is righted with Obama and Affirmative Action, pike.

# 38 o 99 PROBL3MS o @ 07/11/09 03:10 AM
Pike, you aren't making any sense in this tthread and its obvious what your agenda is by your off-topic analogies. No one here has said anything about Al Sharpton or Wright. Its funny how you say you grew up 30 miles from UAPB. Well I grew up 2 miles from UAPB nd your recollection of that area is way off base......I would possibly even venture as far as to say you have never even been on that campus.

You aren't busted anything with "cold fact". What does whites being a "minority" worldwide have to do with HBCU's and Black College Football????? Please tell me. Your agenda is clear as day. You can link your little article about the isolated incident at UM but do African Americans not have 70 years worth of similar (far more pitiful) examples.

You also can't compare the everyday life of an African-American to that of a football recruiting visit. Trust me...I know. I had 5 visits to both traditional colleges and HBCUs. Stop trying to turn this thread into something that it isn't. Well, I guess it is too late since you have already done so. Shame on you......I hope this game does well. Apparently your underlying motive leads me to believe you don't.

# 39 Mr. NAIA @ 07/11/09 03:13 AM
Three points:

Well written article, OS. Very well written.

If you've never attended an HBCU and had the Black College Expierence, you'll never comprehend why we choose to keep the "HB" in front, so no use in me trying to explain.

In some earlier posts I saw someone bring up BET...please, please, PLEASE never bring up that joke of a channel. It does a very poor job of representing African-Americans, and needs to be taken off the air.

# 40 SHO @ 07/11/09 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefangrey

SMH. Did you even read my earlier post?

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.