Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

This past hockey season was a tough one for me since my beloved Red Wings choked away a chance at back to back Stanley Cups. In addition to that unfortunate moment in history, one of my all-time favorite sports-gaming franchises, NHL 2K9, was still struggling to find its way. But with a full development cycle under their belt, the developers at Visual Concepts will hopefully deliver an impressive game in 2009. All right, now let's get to it.

Read More - NHL 2K10: What's Hot and What's Not

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ChaseB @ 08/25/09 06:32 PM
I think it's totally cool to disagree with our writer (Christian aka Bumble) but as he said, we already did our hands-on preview -- we were quite positive about the game -- this is just meant to highlight a couple things that one writer was liking and not liking at this point.

Carry on.

# 22 TIm @ 08/25/09 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I think it's totally cool to disagree with our writer (Christian aka Bumble) but as he said, we already did our hands-on preview -- we were quite positive about the game -- this is just meant to highlight a couple things that one writer was liking and not liking at this point.

Carry on.
Chase.... Problem is that there was soooo much more to highlight or go over. Venom did have good points in his 1st posts. But that was just poorly written and never should've been written. If they had played the game and then wrote what they felt was What's hot and Whats not then that would be totally different. However, to base this What's hot/not off a video that had one timers galore and " we have to hope in higher difficulty levels this will not be the case" a couple of developers insights that had some info with it is just not right.. I will be the first to admit not being happy with the amount of info we have gotten and will be the first to admit I wanted some videos attached to those developer insight to showcase what the text means, But the problem is again, How do you know those positives are hot or the negatives are not without really getting enough info to warrant that article.

Venom, I was upset that you bashed OS but thanks for the response... OS has never taken sides if they thought one company was better then the other.. They always give every game a fair shake!!! Thanks again

# 23 ChaseB @ 08/25/09 07:06 PM
I hear where you're coming from, and it's certainly a fine line to walk. We wouldn't attach a preview to something unless we had hands-on or were on hand to look at the game. We just do these as a fun little way to stir up some more discussion as a game nears release. If you think there were better things to highlight as the highs and lows that's cool -- but that's just one opinion against the other in that case.

# 24 ChaseB @ 08/25/09 07:08 PM
The headline at the top says preview because it's in our previews category, but that's just how our database separates things. The title itself does not have "preview" in it. Just wanted to make sure that's clear btw.

# 25 Casper @ 08/25/09 07:08 PM
Yes!! very poor preview, more like a knock down on 2k hockey rather than an up-lift ,which is actually the case this yr (if you are informed)... and I'm a fan of both games. Not that it had to be said, but in this case it had to be said.

boo, to whoever wrote this uninformed down-play of 2k hockey.

# 26 ChaseB @ 08/25/09 07:09 PM
I think in the future what we may do is put it in the "features" area to clear up the confusion.

# 27 onlybygrace @ 08/25/09 07:12 PM
If anyone has done NHL 2k10 an injustice its 2K Sports themselves...

for obvious and redundant reasons.

So there.

# 28 onlybygrace @ 08/25/09 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
All I have to say to you is. In my best Justin T singing. "Cry me a river"
You gotta care to cry, dude.

# 29 VeNOM2099 @ 08/25/09 11:09 PM
I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I said that to highlight the fact that I'd expect that kind of article from an angry EA nerd on the official EA forums, not Operation Sports and also to point out the fact that the same type of feature for EA's NHL 10 didn't gloss over the game's best and worst points like Christian did with NHL 2K10.

Seriously, he went to the trouble of looking up some videos of the game to give an opinion on it because he hasn't played it yet. Couldn't have have also gone to the official 2Ksports site and checked the developer insight blog articles as well? There's plenty of information there on what the game is shaping up to be. More to the point, why give an opinion on it if he hasn't played it yet? Chase pointed out that there's a preview done here at OS about the game, so someone's already had hands on time with NHL 2K10. Why not let that person write up this article up instead of someone who's yet to even see the game in motion LIVE?

So my comment will stand. That you don't like it, RealmK, that doesn't surprise me. There's a reason you're not welcome on the 2Khockey.net forums anymore.

As for the rest of the OS staff, I'm sorry if my remarks stung a bit. It wasn't my intention to accuse anyone of being "biased" one way or another, but simply to point out that I was expecting you guys to be FAIR to both games. This article isn't fair in the least. Not to the game, not to the community and in a small measure, it's not fair to Christian who I'm sure, would've sang a different tune had he actually played the game.

# 30 onlybygrace @ 08/25/09 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM2099
I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I said that to highlight the fact that I'd expect that kind of article from an angry EA nerd on the official EA forums, not Operation Sports and also to point out the fact that the same type of feature for EA's NHL 10 didn't gloss over the game's best and worst points like Christian did with NHL 2K10.

Seriously, he went to the trouble of looking up some videos of the game to give an opinion on it because he hasn't played it yet. Couldn't have have also gone to the official 2Ksports site and checked the developer insight blog articles as well? There's plenty of information there on what the game is shaping up to be. More to the point, why give an opinion on it if he hasn't played it yet? Chase pointed out that there's a preview done here at OS about the game, so someone's already had hands on time with NHL 2K10. Why not let that person write up this article up instead of someone who's yet to even see the game in motion LIVE?

So my comment will stand. That you don't like it, RealmK, that doesn't surprise me. There's a reason you're not welcome on the 2Khockey.net forums anymore.

As for the rest of the OS staff, I'm sorry if my remarks stung a bit. It wasn't my intention to accuse anyone of being "biased" one way or another, but simply to point out that I was expecting you guys to be FAIR to both games. This article isn't fair in the least. Not to the game, not to the community and in a small measure, it's not fair to Christian who I'm sure, would've sang a different tune had he actually played the game.

Venom, just so you know. This isn't 2khockey.net.

You can't come here and go railing off and think you won't be held accountable for what you say.

I like you...you have good insight.

Don't go over the line because there is one drawn at Operation Sports.

# 31 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 12:21 AM
I didn't find the review to be offensive just a bit silly. It was more like a mini view. Whatever he was talking about won't take away all the great info we have received so far about 2K10.

# 32 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 12:24 AM
[quote=VeNOM2099;2040085961]

Very interesting, but I'm not surprised. If only..........

# 33 VeNOM2099 @ 08/26/09 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Venom, just so you know. This isn't 2khockey.net.

You can't come here and go railing off and think you won't be held accountable for what you say.
Because you think I'm not held accountable there? Is this a thinly vieled insult directed at 2khockey.net and its admin/moderators?? I would hope that you know better than listen to some of your members who think I run that place like a god, because I don't.

Again, it wasn't my intention to insult Chris or the site. Just expose what I thought to be odd behaviour from a site I've trusted to always be fair and impartial when judgeing videogame sports. To have a preference is only human, which is why we take sides. But to out and out post things that are false due to a lack of information (or experience, it's not Chris's fault he couldn't play the game) I found that a little unnerving and I'm afraid I was a little hasty (and emotional) with my response.

Won't happen again.

# 34 onlybygrace @ 08/26/09 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM2099
Because you think I'm not held accountable there? Is this a thinly vieled insult directed at 2khockey.net and its admin/moderators?? I would hope that you know better than listen to some of your members who think I run that place like a god, because I don't.

Again, it wasn't my intention to insult Chris or the site. Just expose what I thought to be odd behaviour from a site I've trusted to always be fair and impartial when judgeing videogame sports. To have a preference is only human, which is why we take sides. But to out and out post things that are false due to a lack of information (or experience, it's not Chris's fault he couldn't play the game) I found that a little unnerving and I'm afraid I was a little hasty (and emotional) with my response.

Won't happen again.
You truly have it down to an artform, don't you???

Props.

# 35 slickdtc @ 08/26/09 01:33 AM
We don't need the back and forth bull**** to pollute this forum, guys. If you guys have some beef, you should settle it elsewhere and let us discuss this series.

# 36 SoxFan01605 @ 08/26/09 02:42 AM
lol...man. The preview barely had any responses but this article darn near started a riot. I agree that it's pretty bad form to base gameplay judgment off of some secondhand videos. Other than that, it is an opinion piece. Not too worked up over it one way or the other, personally.

# 37 savoie2006 @ 08/26/09 04:12 AM
Quote:
So can we expect you back once the reviews start rolling in to enlighten us how EA pays off reviewers?
Really the only thing that started that was 1up's uber love for NHL08 and complete raping of NHL2K8, which deserved much higher than their joke of 4 rating I believe it was.

# 38 tabulaRasa @ 08/26/09 04:19 AM
Thanks for the clear up, so he did actually base the article on videos.

Hope 2K release a demo.

# 39 savoie2006 @ 08/26/09 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
He's made a post like that the last couple of years if I recall correctly. Hell I think I read a post somewhere, may have been on the EA forums that he made a comment that the 10 demo in no way is anything near sim or realistic so really at this point I take anything he has to say with a grain of salt, a roll of the eyes and generally a good chuckle or two.
Yeah, but the guy is actually considering buying the game this year for EASHL, so hell has frozen over a little. Hey, if he doesn't feel the game to be sim that is his thing. I don't think either game is all that sim honestly, they just have certain aspects of the game that are and when you play with some good sliders and the way the game should be played, you can get a decent sim style game out of them.

# 40 Bumble14 @ 08/26/09 08:59 AM
I'm really beginning to wonder if anyone actually read my entire article. Where did you all even pick up on me slamming 2K, and being Pro EA- especially when EA's NHL franchise is hardly even mentioned in the article outside of controls and EASHL (two innovations that any fan of hockey gaming should give kudo's to EA for, no matter who your publishing allegiance is).

Did you all miss the part where I said that the 2K hockey series "one of my all-time favorite sports-gaming franchises of all time"? Did you read the part where I said in the section about one timers (insinuating that the online videos were played on lower difficutly levels), "I am hoping the final retail version of the game will play a slower, more strategic game, especially on higher difficulty levels."? Since the video's 2K has released are few and far between, what other hard evidence do we really have right now other than the O.S. hands on from a few weeks back? Finally, did you all read the final sentence in the article: "At the end of the day, it's nice to possibly have two solid hockey titles for gamers to enjoy during the 09-10 season".

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and we love the passion on O.S., but was this article seriously that negative towards 2K that it deserved such an uproar- (not to mention the personal attacks on it's brilliant writer *tear*). We all love our hockey people, so let's all take a deep breath, relax, and take the article for what it is- a quick hit opinion piece to compliment our other in depth O.S. 2K10 coverage.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.