Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

This past hockey season was a tough one for me since my beloved Red Wings choked away a chance at back to back Stanley Cups. In addition to that unfortunate moment in history, one of my all-time favorite sports-gaming franchises, NHL 2K9, was still struggling to find its way. But with a full development cycle under their belt, the developers at Visual Concepts will hopefully deliver an impressive game in 2009. All right, now let's get to it.

Read More - NHL 2K10: What's Hot and What's Not

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 VeNOM2099 @ 08/26/09 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
I'm really beginning to wonder if anyone actually read my entire article. Where did you all even pick up on me slamming 2K, and being Pro EA- especially when EA's NHL franchise is hardly even mentioned in the article outside of controls and EASHL (two innovations that any fan of hockey gaming should give kudo's to EA for, no matter who your publishing allegiance is).

Did you all miss the part where I said that the 2K hockey series "one of my all-time favorite sports-gaming franchises of all time"? Did you read the part where I said in the section about one timers (insinuating that the online videos were played on lower difficutly levels), "I am hoping the final retail version of the game will play a slower, more strategic game, especially on higher difficulty levels."? Since the video's 2K has released are few and far between, what other hard evidence do we really have right now other than the O.S. hands on from a few weeks back? Finally, did you all read the final sentence in the article: "At the end of the day, it's nice to possibly have two solid hockey titles for gamers to enjoy during the 09-10 season".

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and we love the passion on O.S., but was this article seriously that negative towards 2K that it deserved such an uproar- (not to mention the personal attacks on it's brilliant writer *tear*). We all love our hockey people, so let's all take a deep breath, relax, and take the article for what it is- a quick hit opinion piece to compliment our other in depth O.S. 2K10 coverage.
Yeah, I think we all got off to a bad start here. So let's start over: I don't think anyone is mad at you having an "opinion" about the game. I think it's more the fact that A) you didn't play the game (at least, that's what can be construed since you used an IGN video to base your assumptions on the one-timers being money) before you gave an opinion and B) even though there isn't much of it (thaks to 2K's cloak and dagger tactics) there's still better info to be had to help you formulate a better idea of what to look forward to (or not) in NHL 2K10.

To tell you the truth, what got my blood boiling personally was your comments on the controls and why 2K hasn't copied EA's. They did. Since NHL 2K9 to the great chagrin of many people who actually liked the 2K8 controls.

In any case, it may not have been your intention of being negative towards NHl 2K10, but that's how this article came off as. Oh well, guess ya can't win 'em all, can you chum? LOL

# 42 VeNOM2099 @ 08/26/09 12:14 PM
It's not even that the settings were on default on that IGN vid. One of the guys playing didn't know what he was doing and the other guys just kep setting up one-timers ad nauseum. They both sucked monkey nuts. I don't understand how you can base anything off their video?

It's like that guy on youtube that posted a video of pictures of the Wii version of NHL 2K10 while claiming they're from the 360/PS3 version. Imagine if someone would post an opinion piece on 2K10 and said that the grfx on the 360 or PS3 version sucked because he/she based his/her opinion on that youtube vid...

# 43 Eddie1967 @ 08/26/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
I'm really beginning to wonder if anyone actually read my entire article. Where did you all even pick up on me slamming 2K, and being Pro EA- especially when EA's NHL franchise is hardly even mentioned in the article outside of controls and EASHL (two innovations that any fan of hockey gaming should give kudo's to EA for, no matter who your publishing allegiance is).

Did you all miss the part where I said that the 2K hockey series "one of my all-time favorite sports-gaming franchises of all time"? Did you read the part where I said in the section about one timers (insinuating that the online videos were played on lower difficutly levels), "I am hoping the final retail version of the game will play a slower, more strategic game, especially on higher difficulty levels."? Since the video's 2K has released are few and far between, what other hard evidence do we really have right now other than the O.S. hands on from a few weeks back? Finally, did you all read the final sentence in the article: "At the end of the day, it's nice to possibly have two solid hockey titles for gamers to enjoy during the 09-10 season".

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and we love the passion on O.S., but was this article seriously that negative towards 2K that it deserved such an uproar- (not to mention the personal attacks on it's brilliant writer *tear*). We all love our hockey people, so let's all take a deep breath, relax, and take the article for what it is- a quick hit opinion piece to compliment our other in depth O.S. 2K10 coverage.
I didn't think it was negative. Glad you cleared it up for the other people here. I'm happy with any info I can get, but that's just me.

# 44 savoie2006 @ 08/27/09 05:54 AM
One thing that definately should have been included in the HOT section is the 2KShare and I'm not talking about the Franchise Blogs. I'm talking the ability to upload sliders, rosters and drafts. This to me is a huge thing this game has over EA's currently.

# 45 Fiddy @ 08/27/09 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
One thing that definately should have been included in the HOT section is the 2KShare and I'm not talking about the Franchise Blogs. I'm talking the ability to upload sliders, rosters and drafts. This to me is a huge thing this game has over EA's currently.
the 2k share adds a ton of replay vaule. esp with draft classes being editable!!

# 46 lockjaw333 @ 08/27/09 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNOM2099
I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I said that to highlight the fact that I'd expect that kind of article from an angry EA nerd on the official EA forums, not Operation Sports and also to point out the fact that the same type of feature for EA's NHL 10 didn't gloss over the game's best and worst points like Christian did with NHL 2K10.

Seriously, he went to the trouble of looking up some videos of the game to give an opinion on it because he hasn't played it yet. Couldn't have have also gone to the official 2Ksports site and checked the developer insight blog articles as well? There's plenty of information there on what the game is shaping up to be. More to the point, why give an opinion on it if he hasn't played it yet? Chase pointed out that there's a preview done here at OS about the game, so someone's already had hands on time with NHL 2K10. Why not let that person write up this article up instead of someone who's yet to even see the game in motion LIVE?

So my comment will stand. That you don't like it, RealmK, that doesn't surprise me. There's a reason you're not welcome on the 2Khockey.net forums anymore.

As for the rest of the OS staff, I'm sorry if my remarks stung a bit. It wasn't my intention to accuse anyone of being "biased" one way or another, but simply to point out that I was expecting you guys to be FAIR to both games. This article isn't fair in the least. Not to the game, not to the community and in a small measure, it's not fair to Christian who I'm sure, would've sang a different tune had he actually played the game.
I've been away for a bit and just got back, and after getting a chance to read the article, I totally agree with this post. I think this site has an obligation to at least be fair to both games before they are released (since there isn't an "EA" or "2K" attached to the name of the site). This article just wasn't fair, and was obviously biased, so I think that's why people are angry about it.

Think about if this happened to EA's game. Imagine if an article like this was written about NHL 10, and opinions were based off of gameplay videos of two people who obviously know little about hockey playing the game, from some other videogame website. The EA fans would go into an absolute uproar.

I would image you, RealmK, would be one of the first to speak out. You've already attacked people who have said that NHL 10 looks just like NHL 09 based on gameplay videos to this point. However in this case, its a supposed-to-be unbiased sports gaming website making similar judgements solely based on gameplay videos. It doesn't make sense, and you know its wrong.

People get all over the guys in the Madden area who criticized gameplay videos of Madden 10 before it was released. This is the same thing- it has to be fair. If the author had gotten hands-on time and had these opinions, then that's totally valid and he should be able to voice his concerns. But basing it off gameplay videos? Seriously, if the situation were reversed, you guys would be going insane right now.

# 47 kerosene31 @ 08/27/09 01:11 PM
I always find it funny that the major gripes with 2k hockey are things that can easily be changed in the options/sliders.

This is slightly 2k's fault for leaving things like this as default (at least I assume it is just like in 2k9). The default controls in 2k9 are not ones most people want. People get turned off by that and don't bother finding the new control scheme that is pretty much the same as EA's.

It happens. I read more than 1 Tiger Woods review that blasted the "comet trails" which can easily be turned off in the options.

# 48 slickdtc @ 08/27/09 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
I've been away for a bit and just got back, and after getting a chance to read the article, I totally agree with this post. I think this site has an obligation to at least be fair to both games before they are released (since there isn't an "EA" or "2K" attached to the name of the site). This article just wasn't fair, and was obviously biased, so I think that's why people are angry about it.
It wasn't biased at all. It may not have been as in-depth as other previews are (though this never claimed to be in-depth), but it wasn't biased at all. You must have missed the part where the writer (Bumble14) said this series was one of his all time favorites? If anything, he'd be biased FOR the game, not against it. Come on, man.

# 49 BigH2k6 @ 08/27/09 02:16 PM
This article should have been titled "NHL2K10, What could be hot and what could be not so hot. A speculative preview based on video clips released to date. "

The current title is very misleading and can easily misconstrued as a hands-on.

The author speculates without any hands-on knowledge, specially on subject like online mode. How someone can say that online mode will be a negative for this game without having tried it is beyond me...

# 50 lockjaw333 @ 08/27/09 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
The writter himself says hes a fan of the series, would hardly call that bias but whatever. 10 may not be a huge graphical change over 09 but all the subtle additions and fixes make it play a much better game which is the only thing I dispute when people say oh it plays just like 09. You diehard 2k guys are something else, everything is a conspiracy and god forbid someone like both games! Both games have pros and cons, both may actually be worth picking up this year.

I'm not a "2K guy" at all. I'm just a fan of the series, but I've bought both games almost every year (except for when EA was a real joke in 2005 and 2006).

As a fan of both games, I didn't like the article. I'm just saying, if this situation were reversed, the EA hockey forum would be going nuts right now.

But I guess any of us "2k guys" who are members of 2khockey.net that post here are a joke because our site is now a "laughing stock".

# 51 slickdtc @ 08/27/09 05:05 PM
Quote:
I'm not a "2K guy" at all. I'm just a fan of the series, but I've bought both games almost every year (except for when EA was a real joke in 2005 and 2006).

As a fan of both games, I didn't like the article. I'm just saying, if this situation were reversed, the EA hockey forum would be going nuts right now.

But I guess any of us "2k guys" who are members of 2khockey.net that post here are a joke because our site is now a "laughing stock".
It's fine to not like the article. I didn't think it was that good either, seeing as how it's just a quick run down and nothing in-depth. But when you throw out the word "bias" and there's no hint of that, then that's when there are problems.

# 52 CarryTheWeight @ 08/27/09 05:38 PM
IMO, 2K fanboys seem to make excuses for the sake of the health of the series ("NHL 09 is overrated anyway, real gamers play 2K9 because...at least it's not robotic and fake and corporate and stuff!"), whereas the EA guys are simply annoying and childish because they're in the driver's seat at the moment ("2K should stop making hockey games because EA makes them better! No competition!").

I say ignore both. Where's arguing going to get us? If sports gamers could stop with all the brand loyalty stuff, more people would respect the advantages of both games and of competition itself...same goes with the NFL, NBA MLB and racing simulation (Forza/GT5) games. Too much negativity and disrespect on BOTH sides.

Then again, I'm not 13 years old anymore, so arguing on forums about corporations making video games and consoles just doesn't make sense to me. And no, I'm not the type of guy to argue about what politician, country or sports team is better, either, so you won't see me in some real-life argument over such trivial matters. Yet, understandably, some people get a kick out of that stuff, it's confrontational human nature. It just makes it worse for the rest of us.

# 53 Eddie1967 @ 08/27/09 05:47 PM
Quote:

Think about if this happened to EA's game. Imagine if an article like this was written about NHL 10, and opinions were based off of gameplay videos of two people who obviously know little about hockey playing the game, from some other videogame website. The EA fans would go into an absolute uproar.

I would image you, RealmK, would be one of the first to speak out. You've already attacked people who have said that NHL 10 looks just like NHL 09 based on gameplay videos to this point. However in this case, its a supposed-to-be unbiased sports gaming website making similar judgements solely based on gameplay videos. It doesn't make sense, and you know its wrong.

People get all over the guys in the Madden area who criticized gameplay videos of Madden 10 before it was released. This is the same thing- it has to be fair. If the author had gotten hands-on time and had these opinions, then that's totally valid and he should be able to voice his concerns. But basing it off gameplay videos? Seriously, if the situation were reversed, you guys would be going insane right now.
Great post. There is definitely a bias sometimes when it comes to reviewing 2k games. Not necessarily the review being talked about here, but it's happened before on other gaming sites so I can see how some people might be a little sensitive to any negativity thrown 2k's way. EA has a cult following whether their games are good or bad and therefore get much more fair reviews IMHO. Just look at the madden reviews for the past 3 or 4 years.

I didn't think this review was necessarily bad, just a little shallow.
I do believe there will be two good (possibly great) hockey games this year for different reasons and I'm very happy about that.

# 54 savoie2006 @ 08/27/09 05:54 PM
Yeah, and HockeyDude is quite the "Fanboy" himself, so I take his comments with the same grain of salt that you do Realm with Venom. As already stated by myself in response to Dude's post at EASports and by CarryTheWeight here, it's a two way street. It happens quite equally I've found. EA fans defend their game with everything thing they got just as alot of 2K fans do.

# 55 lockjaw333 @ 08/27/09 08:10 PM
Quote:
You sure come off as one. I stand by my feelings and this will be the last I comment on it having experiencing the mob mentality first hand a few years ago over there. I think its great that Waz has a single EA thread for discusion of ea's title since alot of former 2k only guys, myself included don't totally hate the changes EA has made the last couple years. That said its unfortuate that if you happen to like EA's game more no matter how long you exclusively played nhl2k, your opinion doesn't count because you're just an EA fanboy and Littman lover and the like. If you didn't like 2k8's controls, you're an idiot and simpleton and you're wrong for not liking them. Or that EA's game is still an arcade fest no matter how much it moves more towards being a simulation or at least having the options to play a more sim game.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the real core of the members at 2khockey.net don't exhibit that type of behavior. Its easy to make generalizations about a group of fans. I could write off all EA fans (which I guess would include myself) as bed-wetting 13 year olds who foam from the mouth while typing complete nonsense, if I go by the garbage I see on the EA forums.

Likewise, there are a few members at 2khockey.net who seriously deteriorate the spirit of the site, and give everyone a bad impression of what the community is like. That doesn't mean we're all like that, and I'm sure that doesn't mean all EA fans are what the community comes off as.

I agree with CarrytheWeight, its really stupid and pointless to argue about these allegiances. Obviously most of us aren't ridiculous and are not just blind brand loyalists. There's always going to be the group that taints the reputation of a whole group of people. I just take issue with reading multiple times here that 2khockey.net is a "a laughing stock" and that their members are " a joke".

Anyway, my initial point was that I found the article lame, as many others. Of course differing opinions always turns into a 2k vs. EA war somehow, and I am seriously the last person to care about that sort of thing or want to start an argument about it. If you knew my posting history you would see that. But if you made up your mind that I am, then you can think what you want I guess.

I just continue to see the same people getting into large arguments with any and everyone, and I won't be a part of that.

# 56 SoxFan01605 @ 08/27/09 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
That is not true Baa. If people defend what they like that does not make then a blind fanboy, because I promise you if another hockey game came around and offer great sim play and amazing presentation. People will jump ship. It is just how the world is. Now if they don't jump ship it just means to them they like their game better. Nothing wrong with that.
Not to speak for baa (a precursor for me pretty much doing just that), but that's not really what he was saying. He said you were talking about something else. He's saying that while what you say is true of some people, it doesn't mean there aren't still blind loyalists that fall into the crowd. They simply switched loyalties and then blindly worship their new master.

It's not about just what they prefer, it's about the ones that become drooling, raving, idiots for something that they really have no stake in. It's not just silly, it's pathetic. It goes beyond brand loyalty...which at least, in some respects, is rooted in logic.

I prefer The Show over 2K baseball. I've found 2K baseball to be a joke for years now. BUT, I don't go in other forums (or even in The Show forum for that matter) and act as if the game is the perfect creation for everyone that all must bow before.THAT is what a "fanboy" does. I can enjoy my preferred title while recognizing it's flaws. I can be disappointed in the other game, while recognizing what it does do well. That is NOT what a "fanboy" does.

I see what you are talking about Scott (and would agree the term gets tossed around far too much), and you're right that most people just go with what they prefer. There are always the handful though (or more than that in the internet world), that can't stand not having everyone agree with their "side". I'm sure you've seen the people who jump around spreading the gospel of their favorite game. That's more than a preference at that point IMO.

EDIT: and that's not to say it warrants attention or discussion (I agree that generally, people just like what they like)...just that it does exist.

# 57 onlybygrace @ 08/27/09 11:40 PM
Quote:
In a way I can sorta see what you're saying Scott. There are extremes to anything like that though. For me personally I think this might be the first year in a long time that I actually end up playing both games. I'm actually sorely tempted to trade some stuff in and give 2k the benefit of the doubt and snag it day 1 rather than wait on gamefly to send a copy my way.

I hope if there is going to be a demo they made the effort to either let us play around with the sliders to get a feel for how the game will play with tweaks/higher difficulty level, and that its a polished demo as well. It would serve them well to make that extra effort demo wise considering the lack of media and poor representation of the game in gamesite videos so far with default settings and non hockey guys demo'in it.

Yeah...I might pick up some extra hours at work so I can get both.

Definitely not rich over here...but both games look really great this year, which outta make 2011 even better.

# 58 sharks @ 08/28/09 01:59 AM
Have you tried the NHL 10 demo? It is starting to get stale. I would guess NHL 2K10 would be a better choice. You save $10 too!

# 59 ezio @ 08/28/09 03:26 PM
Quote:
In a way I can sorta see what you're saying Scott. There are extremes to anything like that though. For me personally I think this might be the first year in a long time that I actually end up playing both games. I'm actually sorely tempted to trade some stuff in and give 2k the benefit of the doubt and snag it day 1 rather than wait on gamefly to send a copy my way.

I hope if there is going to be a demo they made the effort to either let us play around with the sliders to get a feel for how the game will play with tweaks/higher difficulty level, and that its a polished demo as well. It would serve them well to make that extra effort demo wise considering the lack of media and poor representation of the game in gamesite videos so far with default settings and non hockey guys demo'in it.
I agree but I doubt they will let you touch the sliders. Would be nice if they did though. I was playing the NHL 10 demo and then popped in NHL 2k8 and went to the challenges menu and started a game and was like what the because the default settings aren't very good. If they don't let you adjust sliders they need to at least put it on whatever settings would do the game the most justice IMO.

# 60 Nightbird248 @ 08/28/09 10:18 PM
Maybe they will at least put in the preset slider settings, Rookie/Pro/All-Star/Hall of Fame an allow you to switch between them too see how the game plays at each of those setups.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.