Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

Check out the new NBA Live 10 blog, going over passing controls.

Quote:
"So for this week, we’re going to take a look at passing. Passing is one of those features that hasn’t seen a ton of new innovation in recent iterations. Everyone just expects to be able to get the ball from one player to another with as little frustration as possible. Sometimes that’s easier said than done. It seems like every year people complain about “directional passing,” saying that their passes are getting thrown to a different player than the guy they’re pointing at. We spent quite a bit of time working on the directional passing logic and re-tuning the system to accommodate the tendencies of different people. You’d be surprised at how different the expected behavior is from one person to the next when trying to throw a simple pass. Some people flick the stick, some swing it, and some people are always just off a little bit because they can’t compensate for the camera angle. Another tool we gave the user this year is the player indicator direction arrow. If you’ve seen videos of gameplay you’ve probably noticed a little arrow protruding from the ball handler’s indicator. That arrow represents exactly what you’re doing on the left analog stick at all times."

Again guys, lower difficulty to showcase a certain feature.

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Jano @ 08/29/09 01:33 AM
13 more days man comes out on Sept 10th

# 122 23 @ 08/29/09 02:01 AM
I think the passing has me the most excited from today...

Im sure lots of sick scenarios will become of this, how can it not. One a 3 1 fastbreak and its over!

# 123 krazyboy225 @ 08/29/09 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleCity101
i don't know if this has been asked already but can u still do freestyle passing without pulling up tha icons?
Freestyle passing has nothing to do with the icons...freestyle passing involves you holding the left trigger/ L2 and flicking the Right stick to the direction you wish to pass to.

# 124 PuntNL @ 08/29/09 05:32 AM
Thanks for all answers Mike! Really cant wait to go and try using the the new passing controls. Really feel that Freestyle will be the way to go this year for most of our passing...

# 125 iminurbase @ 08/29/09 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysky
I am glad that they brought back the controling players off the ball feature. They use to have that feature on one of the NBA Lives on PS2. I hated they took that feature off the next gen game but its good to see it back. The buttons are different this time so I have to get use to it.
If you like permanent player-lock, we added the option to set it pre-game from within every game mode.

# 126 gmix411 @ 08/29/09 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase
If you like permanent player-lock, we added the option to set it pre-game from within every game mode.
So there's no more BAP mode?

# 127 bigboy75 @ 08/29/09 08:43 AM
It's official. I am now an Nba Live convert. Hallelujah.

# 128 marcoyk @ 08/29/09 10:21 AM
That's really looking nice. I can't wait for this game. Now I can actually make Rip play like he does in real life (off-ball screens).

# 129 FlyRice @ 08/29/09 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase
How does your AI teammates behave when you're on player lock? Are they always looking to give you the ball or will they try and score on their own?

# 130 Infamous Jones @ 08/29/09 05:39 PM
Okay I'm going to actually talk about Passing in the Game in General.

From what I saw it the Passing Video all I saw was the same behind the back pass done by Lebron and Steve Nash through out the vid. I'm not being assuming but are we going to have atleast 10 advanced passes in this years game? I would hope so, because if I just finished a top play in clutch I would like to see varitety in the results. Could you imagine uploading all of your top play vids and the same behind the back pass and Jump Shoot giveaway-pass being shown. YIKES.
-Sincerly Cortland "Infamous" Jones

# 131 Beluba @ 08/29/09 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAP19
No, I mean if you're holding down the button of the player and the icon button. How do you switch back without passing him the ball?
so that's a little different. this might sound complicated, but it's not.

if you're holding down Direct Pass and B (SG), you're in control of the SG
if you decide you don't want to pass the ball, release Direct Pass while still holding B
You'll offball switch to the SG
Now hit Direct Pass and hit the icon of the guy you were previously controlling

Now you're back in control of the ball handler and no pass is ever thrown.

# 132 XxX syntax XxX @ 08/30/09 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
so that's a little different. this might sound complicated, but it's not.

if you're holding down Direct Pass and B (SG), you're in control of the SG
if you decide you don't want to pass the ball, release Direct Pass while still holding B
You'll offball switch to the SG
Now hit Direct Pass and hit the icon of the guy you were previously controlling

Now you're back in control of the ball handler and no pass is ever thrown.
Goodness i cant wait

# 133 ©roke @ 08/30/09 11:01 AM
This game looks amazing.

I have two questions for the devs.

1) If I switch to an off-ball player, how do my teammates play? I mean, do I have to press X to tell them to shoot the ball ot they're independent?

2) Beluba said in the video that you can control a player the whole possession if you wanted to. So, I switch to an off-ball player. If I receive the ball, and pass it to another player, who am I controlling now? The new receiver, or the player I choose to control off the ball?

I hope you guys understand me.

# 134 Beluba @ 08/30/09 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ©roke
This game looks amazing.

I have two questions for the devs.

1) If I switch to an off-ball player, how do my teammates play? I mean, do I have to press X to tell them to shoot the ball ot they're independent?

2) Beluba said in the video that you can control a player the whole possession if you wanted to. So, I switch to an off-ball player. If I receive the ball, and pass it to another player, who am I controlling now? The new receiver, or the player I choose to control off the ball?

I hope you guys understand me.
As soon as you touch the ball again once you've switched off, controls go back to "normal". Ie. you will be in control of the new ball handler til you explicitly switch off again.

# 135 biglami @ 08/30/09 10:24 PM
great video and improvements Beluba!!

# 136 NextAI95 @ 08/31/09 01:34 AM
I'm so confused lol I'm not going to try and understand any of this stuff until oct.. 6. CAN'T WAIt!!! I CAN FINALLY COME BACK HoME TO LIVE!!!!! WOOT!!!!

# 137 HOLLIDAY1183 @ 08/31/09 02:01 AM
Loving the fact that it really seems like there are great animations and well varied, without sacrificing control of him. I'm playing the Combine now and it is slowly p***ing me off little by little, that my player just does stuff, moves around as the AI sees fit, w/o me touching my controller.

Can't wait for this. Honestly don't know how my girl is going to take all the bball playing I'll be doing this year.

# 138 Beluba @ 08/31/09 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
In past forms of this type of control, the AI on your team will play as they would or shoot the ball without your consent. would this be a problem with live 10?
No. We modified the AI so that it basically idles and protects the ball. But it won't start breaking down the opposition without you.

# 139 tanner99 @ 08/31/09 02:27 AM
hey mike, lives lookin awesome so far.

when can we expect the next blog? early this week?

# 140 Beluba @ 08/31/09 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner99
hey mike, lives lookin awesome so far.

when can we expect the next blog? early this week?
Friday as usual

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.