Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

Game Informer has posted an interview with lead feature designer Erick Boenisch and lead gameplay producer Rob Jones, as they talk about NBA 2K10.

Quote:
GI: "The graphics have always been a standout feature of the 2K series. How are they changing this year?"

EB: "On the technical side we have a new player model this year. The biggest thing that you’ll notice—look at the player lighting on the guys. Go into an arena like Boston or Orlando and look at the lighting in the environment and how that lighting is affecting the players. You can see the specular maps on their faces and normal maps. They really stand out and look a lot more humanlike, where last year they were kind of dull, they didn’t have any shine on the skin. It’s not one of those things where you turn the game on and you’re immediately blown away, because I thought our graphics were really good last year, but we were just missing the human touch element to making the graphics look a little more realistic. We have a deal with Image Metrics this year—those are the guys who did the heads for Grand Theft Auto IV, our company has a relationship with them—so we brought them on board to do our facial expressions and kind of bring the players to life."

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 malky @ 09/14/09 04:51 PM
hmm very interesting, so why was my post deleted?

# 42 infam0us @ 09/14/09 04:53 PM

# 43 infam0us @ 09/14/09 05:35 PM
Hopefully one of the 2k developers can answer this but is there a restriction on the crews. I mean will you be able to have guys being able to create teams that have 5 superstars or did you guys do something to prevent that.

Having a team consisting of my player players against the NBA elites doesn't seem fair.

# 44 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 09/14/09 05:42 PM
I love what I'm hearing in the interview, but I'd like some clarification on how potential works this year. What's the point in having a potential rating if their progression is based on their performance and their playing time?

# 45 infam0us @ 09/14/09 05:46 PM
I'm saying will they have sort of like a restriction with the 5 players that can be used for the NBA player. Like 1 player 90+ or 2 players 85+. If not every crew will have Kobe LeBron or Wade Kobe as there wing men. Yao or Dwight at center.

# 46 econoodle @ 09/14/09 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
"Believe it or not, I’m not done yet. The next one is my favorite one. It’s an extension of our 2K Share feature, which we had in the game last year. This is the ability to create and import draft classes into your franchise mode. We actually have a feature outside of the mode where you can create them. This is just simply the ability to go in there and edit the 75 rookies that we generate to your liking. Legally I’m not supposed to tell you what you can and can’t do with this feature for legal issues of importing characters that we don’t have rights to, but if you let your imagination run wild I think some of our fans are going to create some really cool draft classes. It’s all done through 2K Share and before a season a little dialog box will pop up that asks you if you want to load one or just auto generate a random class. For our fans, this is a great way to keep franchise mode fresh.

The last thing I added that I think is pretty cool is a page on NBA.com called NBA History, which archives the league history and builds it up as you go forward. You can just jump into this menu and see who led the league in rebounds in 1974 or who one the title in 1996. Moving forward this history builds with your franchise so you can look back and see how your franchise has changed the course of the NBA. It sounds like a bit feature, but for people who really take their mode seriously it’s a really cool thing to have."

I'm an Association player and this is what I love to hear. 2K is going to give us a great experience this year.
same here.

I am going with the game that gives me the deepest franchise mode.

I do not need to see gameplay footage, it was fine for me last year.

I was waiting on both games to announce franchise features.

This seals it for me basically, tho i will give Live demo a shot on psn soon.

# 47 ffaacc03 @ 09/14/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
I'm saying will they have sort of like a restriction with the 5 players that can be used for the NBA player. Like 1 player 90+ or 2 players 85+. If not every crew will have Kobe LeBron or Wade Kobe as there wing men. Yao or Dwight at center.
As I understood, there are two separate modes of crews:
One with "My Player" players only (were progression will occur, so you will be able to see your overall stats grow and eventually surpass the stats of the real NBA stars) and another with current NBA players only (were it wont) ... not a mix of both ...

... But I am confuse about the restriction with "My player" players crews mode, as it talks about when your player is good enough ...

# 48 NINJAK2 @ 09/14/09 06:34 PM
Loving the sound of those gameplay enhancements. These two companies really are spying on each other it seems as they have a lot of similar gameplay ideas being implemented. It's all good though.....

# 49 ffaacc03 @ 09/14/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
same here.

I am going with the game that gives me the deepest franchise mode.

I do not need to see gameplay footage, it was fine for me last year.

I was waiting on both games to announce franchise features.

This seals it for me basically, tho i will give Live demo a shot on psn soon.
As well as you and Stewaat, I mostly play offline (association) and I definitively will appreciate this new features ... and I will also appreciate the online option of crews too ...

... As I have stated before: an improved and polished version of NBA 2K9 (I am assuming NBA 2K10 will be that), may very well end being not only the best basketball game of the year but the best basketball game EVER ! ...

P.D.
But I recognize that as of now, the competition may as well end being not only the best improved basketball game but the best improved game allaround ! ...

# 50 ffaacc03 @ 09/14/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Loving the sound of those gameplay enhancements. These two companies really are spying on each other it seems as they have a lot of similar gameplay ideas being implemented. It's all good though.....
They have done this over the past couple of years ... and I agree too ... it is good having a real example of the great benefits (two good games at once) competition can bring to the fans!

# 51 jmood88 @ 09/14/09 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I love what I'm hearing in the interview, but I'd like some clarification on how potential works this year. What's the point in having a potential rating if their progression is based on their performance and their playing time?
They said that it's based on the rating, playing time, and stats.

# 52 ffaacc03 @ 09/14/09 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
They said that it's based on the rating, playing time, and stats.
If I get it right, it is something like: the rating becomes the ceiling and the playtime and stats become the shortcuts to get upthere (how fast) ... as higher the rating higher the room for improving ...

# 53 jmood88 @ 09/14/09 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
If I get it right, it is something like: the rating becomes the ceiling and the playtime and stats become the shortcuts to get upthere (how fast) ... as higher the rating higher the room for improving ...
Yeah that's what it sounds like to me except if they don't play they won't progress at all so you have to make sure they play somewhere.

# 54 tcnumba10 @ 09/14/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
Moving on from that, we have 30 player-controlled teams this year, up from eight last year. This means that users can control every team in the league. This is cool for our fans who like to have their franchise follow the real NBA season. If a trade happens, you can go in there and force the trade to happen between the two teams. It’s just a no holds barred, do whatever the heck you want to do with your franchise feature for our real diehards.
WoW! This was what I was dreaming for and it seemed that they read my mind. Finally I can follow the real-life NBA transactions and play as realistic as possible roster-wise and injury-wise.

# 55 The 24th Letter @ 09/14/09 08:28 PM
Man, I cant wait...this stuff sounds great
im so tired of talking about how good it SOUNDS though lol

# 56 STLRams @ 09/14/09 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Has this link been posted on the 1st page?

# 57 Jonesy @ 09/14/09 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Man, I cant wait...this stuff sounds great
im so tired of talking about how good it SOUNDS though lol
Ain't that the truth. I actually want to start seeing some in game footage / demo etc before making any decisions. The demo has to arrive soon or they will simply just run out of time before the release date.

# 58 jmood88 @ 09/14/09 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Ain't that the truth. I actually want to start seeing some in game footage / demo etc before making any decisions. The demo has to arrive soon or they will simply just run out of time before the release date.
How are they going to run out of any time? They want people to get it on release date but why would it matter to you?

# 59 Goffs @ 09/14/09 11:24 PM
Media will be coming in soon since NHL2k10 will be released tomorrow...hopefully we get something this wed..

# 60 Jonesy @ 09/14/09 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
How are they going to run out of any time? They want people to get it on release date but why would it matter to you?
Because I (like alot of people) want to play the demo before i purchase the full version. Having already had "the other game" demo available and it being a big improvement if you don't release one prior to release day it is just asking people to jump ship imo.

You have two games releasing on the same day, 1 has released a demo a month prior to release which you have enjoyed, the other hasn't released a demo at all yet. Which game are you gonna buy?

Hope that made sense.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.