Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 patch is now available for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Here are a couple of the key fixes that we've made in the Title Update:

Fixed the exploit to slap-shot a 5-hole goal from below the face-off circle.

* Although our goalies are much improved in NHL 10, there was an exploit when shooting from below the face-off circle that resulted in a goal more often than not. The goalies are now tuned to better handle shots from this area.

Increased speed of passes with Manual passing on.

* This year we added Hardcore Passing (manual passing) that gave you total control of your pass speed and direction. Overall, the new passing was well received but the consensus was that you should be able to pass the puck harder and that the bottom-end speed was too slow. We've increased the bottom-end speed so the passes are crisper and also increased the top-end slightly as well.

Reduced the ability to boardplay players who are far away from you.

* It was a little unrealistic being able to 'suck' a player into boardplay as he was skating away from you so we've made it much harder to pin a player that is skating away. The further he is from you, the less likely you'll be able to boardplay him.

Tuning of trade logic.

* Too many superstars were being offered up for trades so we've dialed this back along with reducing how often players are repeatedly offered up for trade.

Added the ability for a user to apply boost slots to authentic helmets.

* We've added the ability to apply boost slots to an authentic helmet so users can get the benefit of the boosts without having to wear a helmet with a design on it.

Here are some of the other main fixes that will be in the Title Update:

* Fixed the bug that would make a player sometimes exit pass blocking (L1/LT) when they got close to their goalie.
* Fixed the bug that would prevent offline Be a Pro player from getting ice-time in some situations.
* Fixed a crash that could happen on delayed penalty shots.
* Improved logic for how fighting affects teamplay scores in Be a Pro.
* Prevent L1/LT from allowing players to bypass stumble animations.
* Improvements to goalies to reduce 5-hole goals in some contexts.
* Tuned thresholds for injuries from hard shots.
* Added the ability to escape a prefight circle by pressing L2/LB.
* Fixed the bug that made it possible to "shoot" a puck slowly out of the one-handed animation such that nobody could pick it up.
* Improved goalie aggressiveness when poking the puck on cross-crease passes.
* Improved the ability of defencemen are able to do puck pickups behind them to help defend cross-crease passes.
* Reduced the ability to stuff the puck through the goalie by running into him without shooting (most common on wraparounds and reaching puck pickups).
* Reduced accidental interference in front of net.
* Fixed the offline Be a Pro line-change bug where the player is stuck at the bench.
* Prevent slap passes from being deflected at large angles.
* Fixed the bug where the goalie does not react to a shot if he's banging his stick on the ice to signal the end of a penalty.
* Fixed the bug that makes flip dumps to the middle of the offensive zone go over the glass frequently.
* Fixed the bug that makes CPU center win draws to the the same side all of the time.
* Fixed the bug in the stat tracking of passing.
* Prevent accidental saucer passes after receiving the puck while trying to poke check (because both actions are on R1/RT).
* Tuning to reduce occurrence of tripping penalties when the player being tripped is stationary or moving slowly.
* Tuning to game logic to make it a little easier to stay up on the NHL team during 4-game trial in BAP.
* Many other changes to improve our ability to refine the gameplay tuning with via tuner sets."

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Lenkbron @ 10/28/09 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I checked for the 3-slot CCM helmet right after DLing the update. It was there and I was able to assign 3 boosts to it. My guy was wearing a 3-slot helmet w/ assigned boosts from before if that's a variable worth considering...

I then played one offline game and one online game against a friend. I think I just had one of those games offline, as I rolled NJ 6-1 and chased Marty in 2nd period. I was using the same All-Star sliders I was before on manual/hardcore. Guess I need to get some more games to see if it was just an anomaly or if they need some changes.

I LOVE the changes to manual passing. Now a long hold of the trigger gives you a good hard pass which I used to great effect on the breakout and passing laterally across the offensive zone. Very glad to see that we can still do a soft dish with a quick light press of the trigger.

Overall, I think they have manual passing speed balanced quite well and I'm going to raise CPU pass interceptions back to max. I had dropped it down to account for the slower passes when using manual and maxed when I used assisted power passing.

Board pinning seemed improved both against the AI and my human opponent. I completely whiffed on a few against the boards when I intentionally attempted to pin in the wrong situations. You can still really grind people along the boards with multiple pins (which is good in the right situation), but you need to have a bit more containment to initiate it. Probably still a little forgiving, but an improvement nonetheless.

Hard to comment on a lot of the other stuff after only two games. But I think I'll mess around with a GM or season mode now that the patch is out and I have fairly accurate rosters. Lan did a great job, but I haven't kept up with them since I grabbed them...
I have updated Lan's roster a little bit, some goalie gear, and fixed the wrong numbers every NHL team had, including captaincy's. Now i just have to do the transactions since his came out, but that isn't much, i'll do it either today or tomorrow.

Let me know if you want them.

# 62 TeamLogo @ 10/28/09 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsEve666
Can someone please tell me what the heck the "passing stat tracking bug" is??

because to be honest since i play offline online, i may not want to download the patch...unless it screws w/ important stats in my franchise
Passes weren't being counted as completed if you were using manual passing. I don't think these stats are even tracked anywhere outside of the in-game stats summary.

# 63 matt8204 @ 10/28/09 11:13 AM
Got it handed to me online after downloading the patch last night but I can't tell you how much happier I am with the game now. Saw some clean goals, the shots are harder and overall it's a much smoother experience from my perspective. I'll try offline tonight. Great job so far, EA!

# 64 matt8204 @ 10/28/09 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
It's good to know the shoddy D hasn't been fixed: (This was purely CPU vs. CPU, i was the other goalie in BAP)

http://www.easports.com/static/110.6...ediaplayer.swf width=640 height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash flashvars="height=360&width=640&file=http://cdn.content.easports.com/media2/nhl10/13138360/761A0001_3_FLV_VIDEO_dRb.flv&link=http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12535157&linkfromdisplay=true&linktarget=_top&image=" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent">EA Sports: bsgoal

Also, online vs. random people is a friggin joke. It's a one-timer fest. After playing 2k10 for a month waiting for this patch (in vain, it seems) I played some online games. After playing a few glitchers , i decided to fight fire with fire. It was ridiculous, I won a game 5-2, with my 12 shots to his 5. The other player was literally trying to cross-crease pass even when a player wasn't on the other side.

I can see playing online as fun in some private leagues, but other than that, it's a waste of server space...
Want to play online sometime? My PSN ID is matt8204. I take shots from anywhere on the ice (within reason) and try to play realistic hockey. If a one-timer opportunity is there, I'll take it but that's certainly not all I look for.

# 65 Myloman @ 10/28/09 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Got it handed to me online after downloading the patch last night but I can't tell you how much happier I am with the game now. Saw some clean goals, the shots are harder and overall it's a much smoother experience from my perspective. I'll try offline tonight. Great job so far, EA!
I played 4 or 5 club games last night and I didn't score on one clean wrister all night, and I shoot almost everything from the slot. EA needs to turn up shot power and turn down accuracy online to get more realistic results.

# 66 DevilsEve666 @ 10/28/09 11:56 AM
So does new trade logic prevent me from trading "joe blow" for say alex ovechkin in season mode?? because i really liked the fact that i could trade whoever i wanted w/out cpu overiding it

# 67 matt8204 @ 10/28/09 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myloman
I played 4 or 5 club games last night and I didn't score on one clean wrister all night, and I shoot almost everything from the slot. EA needs to turn up shot power and turn down accuracy online to get more realistic results.
Try mixing it up a bit. If you always shoot from the slot, the defense and goalie will adjust to that. If you become too predictable, it makes it easier to stop you because they can anticipate your moves and get a jump on what you're doing.

# 68 Qb @ 10/28/09 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenkbron
I have updated Lan's roster a little bit, some goalie gear, and fixed the wrong numbers every NHL team had, including captaincy's. Now i just have to do the transactions since his came out, but that isn't much, i'll do it either today or tomorrow.

Let me know if you want them.
Thanks for the offer, but I did some editing to mine and moved a ton of FA pool guys (retirees, older Euros unlikely to come back) to Euro & National teams to hopefully keep them out of GM mode. I'd hate to lose all of that...

# 69 plaidchuck @ 10/28/09 12:43 PM
Quote:
Want to play online sometime? My PSN ID is matt8204. I take shots from anywhere on the ice (within reason) and try to play realistic hockey. If a one-timer opportunity is there, I'll take it but that's certainly not all I look for.
sure man add me as well I'm plaidchuck on PSN. would like to find someone to play with regularly.

# 70 NHLandPESFan @ 10/28/09 02:46 PM
I noticed the Controls setting is gone under settings now in online games, what happened to this? It's always nice to have choices and while I'm complaining about controls, why can't EA allow customizable controls like we had on PC for many many years?

# 71 Myloman @ 10/28/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Try mixing it up a bit. If you always shoot from the slot, the defense and goalie will adjust to that. If you become too predictable, it makes it easier to stop you because they can anticipate your moves and get a jump on what you're doing.
I do change it up, but nothing works in this game (other than rebounds, one timers, and cheese). I'd say of the 40+ goals I've scored only 5 were on clean wristers or slap shots. Its a ****ing joke. My teammates have the same problem. Also when I get to the slot the goalie shouldn't stop me just because he adjusts, if I beat him I beat him, but I've seen plenty of times where I shoot a puck in a great position but the goalie flies across the crease at the speed of light to make a falling glove save.

# 72 Korrosive @ 10/28/09 05:24 PM
I haven't had time to read this whole thread, but it seems I can't do auto line changes anymore which is a bit of a hassle doing it manually. Anyone else having this problem?

# 73 SinisterAlex @ 10/28/09 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myloman
...but I've seen plenty of times where I shoot a puck in a great position but the goalie flies across the crease at the speed of light to make a falling glove save.
I see this alot in every game mode. You think you have a great goal scoring opportunity and then the goalie makes impossible glove save. The goalies gloves hands are WAY unrealistic. I take a slap slot with Salo, Chara, Souray, etc in the slot, shot it glove side, goalie always makes the save.... really? Goalies wouldn't save it as much as they would in NHL 10. They gotta tone down the goalies glove hand just a bit because scoring a clean wrister or slap shot from the slot or anywhere on the ice for that matter on the glove side is almost impossible.

# 74 DevilsEve666 @ 10/28/09 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB1
Played a few games last night and one thing I noticed was that there were times when the CPU player had the puck and would skate from one side of the blue line to the other without passing or dumping the puck into the zone. He simply skated straight into the boards, turned around and skated across the ice into the other boards and did it again before finally passing the puck.

I just sat there and watched thinking, "you got to be freaking kidding me"! It looked like pinball!!
I'm seeing the same thing bro, the CPU strategy offline is horrendous after the patch. They were averaging about 30 shots on goal against me and now w/ the patch i haven't had them get over 18 shots against me, but they are scoring more. So now the save percentage for my goalies is totally unrealistic...i hate the patch plain and simple, i don't play online. I do play on "pro" difficulty, but before the patch at least it was challenging but now the CPU just skates up and down the blue line like they're scared to come into the zone...so then i just hit them and take the puck back, then when the CPU does finally score it seems like they're just making up for their lack of ability and just put some points on the board. Is there anything i can do to make the CPU un-******** w/out moving up to all-star?

# 75 Antkowiak @ 10/28/09 06:33 PM
I'm a pure offline player and am loving the patch. The first thing that jumped out at me was the CPU can now enter the zone where they generate much more pressure and take many more shots, which was nice. Also, I drew an interference call when I tried to speed burst past a defenseman, and he hit me while the puck was ahead of my skater, which was a cool call. Board pinning is a bit more difficult, so you can actually utilize the behind the net strategy. I could be wrong, but I also felt like my allied CPU players were a bit more aware, which resulted in more realistic pass interceptions on breakout passes and neutral zone attempts. My favorite thing was looking at the stats and seeing the pass percentage at 76(CPU) to 73(me). I have only played one game thus far, but I think that my slider set is good enough to allow some open scoring chances off of slappers, snappers, and wristers. For those of you worried that one timers and cross crease passes are the only scoring methods, try putting shot power at 5 and CPU goalie reaction to 0.

# 76 DJ @ 10/28/09 06:54 PM
Best thing I can say about the patch is that I don't notice a huge difference from the pre-patch version to the current. Gameplay is still top-notch and all the little additions just helped refine what was already a solid gaming experience.

NHL 10 gets my vote as Sports Game of the Year.

# 77 ballgameronny @ 10/28/09 07:09 PM
Does this work for the 360?

# 78 Vikes1 @ 10/29/09 02:45 PM
[quote=Antkowiak; My favorite thing was looking at the stats and seeing the pass percentage at 76(CPU) to 73(me). [/quote]

This is almost exactly what I'm seeing too.

I have my passing set to normal, with the slider at default. And the cpu's pass ACC at zero. I've noticed that post patch...my pass percentage is a bit higher now. In fact, for me anyway...on All-Star, my end game stats are very close between myself and the cpu. With the only exception being Time on attack. The cpu normally has a pretty big advantage there. Of course thats my fault...not the games.

# 79 jerk @ 10/29/09 03:04 PM
Lovin' the new patch! Gameplay is much more realistic

# 80 Taku @ 10/29/09 05:16 PM
I still dont know does this patch work on my 360 or not. I have not unlocked any boosted helmets and after patching i see the CCM V10 helmet and it has 0 boost slots? If my game is patched properly, does that helmet change into 3-slot helmet when i unlock some other helmets OR should it be locked but already a 3-slot helmet?

Not that i care can i use the helmet or not but im just trying to figure out is my game patched... I have cleared the cache and restarted my console like 10 times and everytime the download takes only like 2 seconds max. and theres nothing which tells me that my game was patched.

Help please.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.