Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Tecmo’s Remake of the Classic Tecmo Super Bowl Hails
Online Multiplayer for a New Generation of Players

TORRANCE, Calif.—March 2, 2010 - Video game publisher TECMO KOEI AMERICA has officially announced a remake of Tecmo Super Bowl (SNES)—one of the most influential football games of all time. The new reincarnation developed by Southend Interactive will be released as TECMO BOWL®THROWBACK and will maintain all of the classic gameplay in addition to fresh new features that modernizes the franchise. TECMO BOWL THROWBACK will be released on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®Network only in North America in Spring 2010.

Tecmo Bowl fans no longer have to reminisce about the old days as players can return to the first video game that emulated real football with new generation consoles, twenty years after its release. As a game that still holds a strong community following, online community tournaments can now be held nationwide at the comfort of home.

Features:

TECMO BOWL THROWBACK brings back the gameplay you loved, and stays true to the Tecmo Super Bowl legacy!
  • Online Multiplayer: Find your old buddies online and challenge them to matches just like back in the day
  • 2D + 3D Graphics: Experience all new 3D graphics with the ability to switch to the classic 2D style!
  • Customizable Teams and Rosters: Play as any of the 32 teams with customizable team names and rosters in full seasons
  • Online Leaderboards: Compare your stats in a wide array of online leaderboards
  • Classic Game Modes: Battle it out with your friends and kick off a game in Preseason, Season or Pro Bowl modes
TECMO BOWL THROWBACK is rated E for Everyone with Mild Suggestive Themes by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB).

Tecmo Bowl Throwback screenshot gallery - Click to view Tecmo Bowl Throwback screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 The GIGGAS @ 03/02/10 03:53 PM
Is it just me, or does the gameplay screen look... hard to follow?

# 2 DiddyGotGrillz @ 03/02/10 04:51 PM
This has real promise.....ONLY if the rosters, team names and jerseys are fully customizable. There has to be the potential to turn this into an NFL game IMO.

# 3 CreatineKasey @ 03/02/10 06:01 PM
Those are the same plays in the same slots as the original game LOL! I bet the same mechanics are still present. I wander if we go online will we see NG dives left and right?! Remember, those kill 3/4 of the playbook lol.

# 4 TheWatcher @ 03/02/10 06:18 PM
It looks cool. The main question is whether they once again fooled with the gameplay formula and screwed it up or left it the way it was meant to be?

This is shaping up to be an exciting year for Football video games.

# 5 CreatineKasey @ 03/02/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
It looks cool. The main question is whether they once again fooled with the gameplay formula and screwed it up or left it the way it was meant to be?

This is shaping up to be an exciting year for Football video games.
I don't think they did. I saw other screenshots over at Pastapadre and those plays are the originals in original slots.

We're playing TECMO!!!!

# 6 Bellsprout @ 03/02/10 06:31 PM
I'm more psyched for this than I am for Madden and Backbreaker combined.

That's not hyperbole either.

# 7 King_James @ 03/02/10 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses

You are not alone

# 8 Cusefan @ 03/02/10 07:44 PM
Quote:

lol yes, me too.

I am downright pumped for this game

# 9 CreatineKasey @ 03/02/10 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
lol yes, me too.

I am downright pumped for this game
Same! I'm ready to jack you guys up online! rawr!

# 10 HesTheCoach @ 03/02/10 10:01 PM
I might have to buy a 360 for this since there's online play.

It's funny that the plays are the same. I kinda wish they added more plays but I'll take what I can get!

# 11 CarryTheWeight @ 03/03/10 05:25 AM
I just hope Tecmo doesn't drop the ball on this game as much as they did with NBA Unrivaled. Because of their track record with downloadable sports games, it's a "wait and see" proposition for me at the moment...but on the other hand, it IS Tecmo Bowl...

# 12 Tatz666 @ 03/03/10 10:29 AM
Quote:

add another one to that group.

Seeing this just took me back about 20 years!
i still occasionally hook up the old NES just to play tecmo super bowl. i even play it on my phone through an emulator. It was simple, yet so addicting.

# 13 linkboy @ 03/03/10 11:02 AM
This game is a definite purchase for me, can't wait to play it.

# 14 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/03/10 11:13 AM
Quote:
I'm with you on that one. It looks pretty sweet.

# 15 CreatineKasey @ 03/03/10 11:23 AM
I was kind of hoping the 1994 rosters were still on it. Looks like I'll have to create current rosters!

# 16 mva5580 @ 03/03/10 12:19 PM
Well I was on the fence about buying Madden/NCAA this year, and this announcement made it quite easy for me. Tecmo Bowl it is. Sweet!

# 17 ODogg @ 03/03/10 12:30 PM
I hope they still have the huge, long bomb, ball-lofting-in-an-arc-that-takes-forever-to-come-down aspect to the game!

This could be THE ONE!

# 18 dbeth @ 03/03/10 02:34 PM
IT'S ON!!!

# 19 TecmoZack @ 03/03/10 02:37 PM
Awesome...I am stoked. I can't wait to recteate the Tecmo Super Bowl rosters!!!!

# 20 jyoung @ 03/03/10 02:53 PM
Season mode? Check.

Online play? Check.

Customizable rosters? Check.

Option to use the old 2D graphics? Check.

Looks like this one has every chance to turn out well.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.