Home
Backbreaker News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Passing seemed to work a little better in the frantic football world that Backbreaker presents. The approach is certainly different than any I've seen for hurling the pigskin. Actually passing the ball is done entirely by the right stick, while targeting a player is done by holding the left trigger and moving between receivers with the left analog. The AI is largely in charge of the strength of the pass you're throwing (something that I'm worried about) unless it's a bomb pass, in which case you can move the analog down and then up to emulate a throwing motion of sorts. Every other pass is done with a simple flick upwards. Passing didn't feel all that great when I played with rigid camera movements that strain to follow the ball down the field and some wonky physics when the ball hit either the ground or a player's hands.

Aside from standard quick play games, there's also an 8, 16, and 32 team season option and something called Road to Backbreaker which I'm guessing is designed to deliver some sort of loose tournament structure in the same vein as Mortal Kombat (escalating difficulty with meaner and meaner opponents)."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 1 adamgod8 @ 03/02/10 08:52 PM
Its gameplay vids you want? Her ya go....

The Run Game
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9...me_030210.html
The Pass Game
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9...me_030210.html
Defense
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9...se_030210.html
Highlight Reel
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/9...el_030210.html

The review seemed to be a downer but the videos look AMAZING! Especially defense

# 2 kjcheezhead @ 03/02/10 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgod8
The review seemed to be a downer but the videos look AMAZING! Especially defense
I didn't expect IGN to give a positive review. Same with Pasta Padre.

The vids looked great to me tho. Just as I expected, youcan hear the defense calling out the play "Run Right!, Run Right!" lol

# 3 stoncold32 @ 03/02/10 09:21 PM
yikes....i dont know that EA has too much to worry about after watchign this.

# 4 jdr4693 @ 03/02/10 09:31 PM
kinda looks like "superstar" mode in madden

# 5 booker21 @ 03/02/10 09:48 PM
hmmm for some reason these videos are not that good.. i really liked the trailers and those small clips they were showing..
Seeing like this feels very flat.

# 6 SouthernBrick @ 03/02/10 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
yikes....i dont know that EA has too much to worry about after watchign this.
Everyone knows this game isn't stealing any sells away from madden. If they did then they'd just be fooling themselves.

# 7 bigsmallwood @ 03/02/10 09:52 PM
Looks great....but I am worried with the lack of franchise mode this game may disappoint in the features department. The Euro league thing is cool and should be an option....but there should be a traditional NFL style season/playoffs as well. And I am pretty disappointed that there are no injuries...with the hits I have seen in these videos....I was definitely looking forward to breaking some legs and fracturing some ribs! OH well...I wish the game would come out already....IGN is right about one thing: When a game stays under wraps too long...thats usually not a good thing....especially for a sports game.

# 8 jsg @ 03/02/10 10:00 PM
its not a review.

# 9 jyoung @ 03/02/10 10:05 PM
Defense looks sick!

Too much time in the pocket on those pass plays, but maybe that's just a difficulty thing.

# 10 SouthernBrick @ 03/02/10 10:11 PM
I'm still not liking the blocking in the running vid. That must be a very good front 7 or something because, they are pushing them back into the QB consistently. So far not much on offense that inspires me to play it.

Looks like playing a defense would be more fun than offense. I know not every play is supposed to be a highlight in real football but, I wanna see the running back in real time gameplay make some real open field moves. Running between the tackles look fun though the blocking could be a issue.

Ball carrier looks stiff in there jukes and cuts. I wish backs would get lower when making cuts.

I hate arcade mode! lol. The glowing and extra arcade noises annoy me.

# 11 TheKasmar @ 03/02/10 10:18 PM
The tackling and contact looks excellent as it should. Other than that though, everything else looks kind of bland.

Hopefully they'll talk more about those details later.

# 12 stoncold32 @ 03/02/10 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Everyone knows this game isn't stealing any sells away from madden. If they did then they'd just be fooling themselves.
The point is, this game was being billed as something to change the landcape of video game football. I'm not liking what I see in these vids. If the final game moves, plays like that...I'd rather stick with Madden.

# 13 Gusto1 @ 03/02/10 10:30 PM
I am keeping in mind that this preview is one persons perspective of what they feel comfortable with or prefer. The other previews for the game have stated the game as being impressive. I for one will reserve pre-judgements of this game until further information comes to light. Based off the gameplay shown in the ign post the audio from the players seems off key and generic. I like the defensive play as well as some of the routes being run along with a few of the catches by recievers.

# 14 SouthernBrick @ 03/02/10 10:34 PM
They should really make some vids of some replays analyze them because, you can't really tell If there is good run blocking or not. In madden you can tell a little easier because, there is a sky view but, down on the field level its difficult. Lets see some of those D-line moves and see how the O-line man reacts and things like that.

I think the major problem with this game so far is blocking and stiffness in certain aspects of the game. I have to see a few long game play vids before I make a final verdict. As long as BB can be consistent with few glitches and blocking I believe I'll be able to play this game for a while.

# 15 thedude213 @ 03/02/10 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
Looks great....but I am worried with the lack of franchise mode this game may disappoint in the features department. The Euro league thing is cool and should be an option....but there should be a traditional NFL style season/playoffs as well. And I am pretty disappointed that there are no injuries...with the hits I have seen in these videos....I was definitely looking forward to breaking some legs and fracturing some ribs! OH well...I wish the game would come out already....IGN is right about one thing: When a game stays under wraps too long...thats usually not a good thing....especially for a sports game.
Actually it was confirmed in the Gamespot preview that Franchise is in the game, complete with drafting, scouting, free agency, etc.

# 16 JMD @ 03/02/10 10:39 PM
IGN LMAO, what a joke of a web site.

# 17 Dudd @ 03/02/10 10:44 PM
Man, I am not feeling the camera angle. You know how you hear the phrase "keeps his eyes downfield" said about a quarterback? The receivers downfield aren't what's in focus, the line is. I don't know, I never played qb, I was one of the line, but just watching those videos I feel like I'm straining just to see the secondary.

The run game also looks weak, the whole mesh point between the qb and the running back is messed up. To start with, the hand off itself looks weird, the timing is just not there. They showed a lot of draw plays, it's almost comical how the qb is reaching forward to hand the ball off. After the hand off, the qb just sort of stands there like an idiot, good luck selling bootlegs and play fakes when you don't carry out the fake on actual running plays. One of the last plays on defense the qb actually gets rolled up on since he just sort of meanders around the pile. Sure, it's a little thing, but there's a very good reason why quarterbacks either bootleg out or continue their drop back after handing the ball off, and that's so that the defense can't immediately figure out whether it's a run or a pass play. Tackles alone don't make a game feel authentic, and except for when players are in contact, this game looks like it's dropping the ball.

# 18 LeonM @ 03/02/10 10:45 PM

# 19 Gusto1 @ 03/02/10 11:09 PM
I did notice on the run play where the quarterback got rolled up into the tackle that the defenders where already in the backfield. I may be wrong about this but it makes sense for the quarterback not to follow through with the boot becuase the defense already keyed on the running back. I dont see why he would continue to pass off the defense by immitating a pass play when the ball carrier just got creamed.

# 20 stiffarmleft @ 03/02/10 11:27 PM
"The AI is largely in charge of the strength of the pass you're throwing" this statement is a bit of a downer not having total control of pass velocity. I would assume the ability to lead/underthrow receivers is AI controlled also. Not a gamekiller but dissapointing.

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.