Home
Backbreaker News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Backbreaker may be the greatest football game no one will ever play. While I can attempt to detail its incredible use of the Euphoria physics engine, its spectacular graphics and truly innovative gameplay, all these features are moot thanks to the crippling fact that the game does not have the NFL license. Without the license, the annual Madden devotee won't have this on his (or her!) radar -- ironic, because Backbreaker makes good on the lofty promises of Madden 06's teased "CG movie" effect, which EA Sports has yet to deliver on, even four years later."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 41 roadman @ 03/09/10 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Really dude... don't tell people what to think please. Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. These are merely opinions.

Your sentence should be rephrased: "I don't think M10 is a SIM football game".

Let's talk about BB and what positives it can bring to our football gaming. Honestly guys, some of this is getting unreadable with the seething hate for EA. This should be a positive BB forum excited for the game, not a "hate on EA" forum. It's not enjoyable and drives many fans of gaming away.
That's has been exactly as I felt browsing this forum. Some people it appears(not everyone) feel the need to cram their opinion onto others who are just voicing their opinions or concerns.

People should be able to come into this forum and feel welcomed that their opinion or concerns are being heard, not ridiculed on the return volley.

# 42 turftickler @ 03/09/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
Really dude... don't tell people what to think please. Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. These are merely opinions.

Your sentence should be rephrased: "I don't think M10 is a SIM football game".

Let's talk about BB and what positives it can bring to our football gaming. Honestly guys, some of this is getting unreadable with the seething hate for EA. This should be a positive BB forum excited for the game, not a "hate on EA" forum. It's not enjoyable and drives many fans of gaming away.
I agree and I have been part of the Madden NFL bashing myself. Even though it does have due reasons to be hated or bashed, we still need to be mature about it. Madden NFL 11 and Backbreaker will be to totally different games. Both will have faults.

Anyway, the level of gameplay that BB will deliver will be what many of us have wanted for years. The cheese plays will be at an all-time low. The repeatable sack glitch, INT glitches, fumble glitches, player ghosting, and many more things will not be seen in BB, but it will have some minor issues. My hope is that the online play will be smooth on both PS3 and 360. Also, I hope that they have some sort of system in place for the "connection drop glitchers". And I hope they have a player rating system similar to APF 2k8 so we can stay away from cheesers

# 43 Matt Diesel @ 03/09/10 03:22 PM
The fact that this game has a true physics engine already makes it more 'sim' than madden. That is, if they are implemented correctly.

Football is a highly random and chaotic event and you cannot truly simulate it using a model with pre-determined or restricted outcomes. If everyone falls only 3 certain ways, runs the exact same way, or bodies that react to a force only 10 certain ways, its not a simulation.

The bells and whistles may not match up but that does not mean the actual game of football in BB doesnt play like an actual game of football.

I have no idea if BB is any good or will suck, but at least it has the right focus/foundation for the chaotic, unscripted outcomes of real football.

# 44 turftickler @ 03/09/10 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Diesel
The fact that this game has a true physics engine already makes it more 'sim' than madden. That is, if they are implemented correctly.

Football is a highly random and chaotic event and you cannot truly simulate it using a model with pre-determined or restricted outcomes. If everyone falls only 3 certain ways, runs the exact same way, or bodies that react to a force only 10 certain ways, its not a simulation.

The bells and whistles may not match up but that does not mean the actual game of football in BB doesnt play like an actual game of football.

I have no idea if BB is any good or will suck, but at least it has the right focus/foundation for the chaotic, unscripted outcomes of real football.
Great post!!!

# 45 CreatineKasey @ 03/09/10 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Diesel

I completely agree with the chaotic perspective. You'd think that real rules of physics will cut out a great amount of the possible exploits available.

The other half of exploits will come from AI. In my opinion, that will be a truly great challenge for the BB crew. Getting pass and run block logic correct will be paramount to their success. Just like many games of the past, think of a defensive player running around pre-snap to screw with the OL and essentially "gaming the game" with consistent broken outcomes. This is where BB needs to shine and eliminate that risk.

Given the pre-snap options on defense, I'll be interested to see how much freedom we exactly get and what that means to how we play defense. They claim to focus on being "on the field" so I wonder if they intend on taking away some of the "God mode" pre-snap manipulations that football games have had for decades now. I'm talking about defensive hot routes, slanting DL on the fly... things of that nature.

Even so, there will be at least 1 user controlled player capable of mucking things up so hopefully they are aware of that and can put together some solid AI. Imagine how devastating an A gap blitz going through untouched consistently would be in BB without all the tools to stop it that other games present (slide protection, blocking hot routes). It's important they strike a balance there.

Can't wait to see more pre-snap options and playcalling screens! At least we saw they have modern plays in so there should be a fair variety of football plays to choose from and possibly create with hotroutes.

We shouldn't have to worry about player warping and ridiculous leaps without proper gathering of weight, or unrealistic turning around that all canned games had at least some of in the past. In this game, it looks like we will truly earn our big hits. That will be fun to do!

# 46 Bellsprout @ 03/09/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
Not having the NFL license may help it in the long run. Imagine the possibilities. Players getting suspended for off the field issues, politics, and alot of other things that the NFL has opposed could make it in this game and make it deeper than Madden, if done correctly.
How'd that work out for Blitz: The League?

# 47 kjcheezhead @ 03/09/10 06:49 PM
Quote:
Just because it didnt work out for Blitz, doesnt mean it wont work out for this game. We are talking about two entirely different styles of gameplay. Gameplay is the first thing it comes down to in a sports game.

EDIT: Didnt know where to post this, but I just found this in my new Game Informer.

"The chief investment office of Becker Capital Management-which holds around a million shares of Electronic Arts stock-said in a Business Week article that the credibility of EA's management is "non existent right now." Under EA CEO John Riccitiello's watch, EA's stock price has dropped 68% over 11 consecutive quarters."
No offense, but that probably should have been posted in one of the forums involving an EA game. Interesting news tho.

# 48 TracerBullet @ 03/10/10 01:15 AM
Quote:
Maybe people are just wising up and realizing that games that have the exclusive licenses are not necessarily better than non licensed games. Maybe people are wising up that gameplay is more important over bells and whistles.
That has to do with more than just Madden though. Poor sells of mirrors edge and tings like that contribute as well and more than likely this year will be better for EA than the previous ones. Anywho this is the Backbreaker thread and there's no real reason to discuss this here.

# 49 turftickler @ 03/10/10 09:39 AM
I'm all about gameplay so I think I will be in for a big treat. I am also a fan of good graphics as well. I love to see all the new changes in technology every 5 years. Can't wait to see what BB will look like on my projector screen in 720p/1080p.

# 50 Gabe-NFL @ 03/10/10 11:47 AM
We now know since the NFL signed their exclusive contract with EA the Madden Franchise has remained stagnant with little improvements made year after year. The reason for this is simple no competition. This exclusive contract is great for the wallets of EA and the NFL, but gives gamers mediocre improved football games year after year. Do we think MLB The Show would be as good as it is if it did not have 2K every year gunning for a piece of the baseball video game pie. Competition breeds better sports games for gamers this has been proven. This is why I will be purchasing Backbreaker. If Madden players really want Madden to improve, they need to purchase a copy of Backbreaker before Madden even comes out. EA will finally get the message loud and clear and give us a football game that is worthy of the NFL license.

# 51 CreatineKasey @ 03/10/10 01:07 PM
So many unanswered questions.. so little time! I want more gameplay.

# 52 kjcheezhead @ 03/10/10 01:38 PM
Quote:
So many unanswered questions.. so little time! I want more gameplay.
They are at something called GDC according to twitter. They are there to show off some technology I think. Lot's of "big guns" go there I guess like GameInformer and Gametrailers.com. I thnk we'll get some more info soon. Also the developer diaries come out about every other Friday and they haven't done one in 3 weeks so they are due to do another one of those this week too.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.