Home
NHL 11 News Post

Jujimum, from the Xbox-Sports Forums, has posted some new NHL 11 details, taken from OXM.

Quote:
"So instead of improving the game by, say, doubling the number of animations, "It's using physics," he shares. "It's not animation-driven."

During face0ffs, for instance, the position you take going in lets you kick the puck, push the opposing centerman, turn your back to him, or slap his stick. In earlier iterations of the franchise, you knew whether you won the faceoff the instant the ref dropped the puck. Now, your jockeying could lead to your not touching the puck at all, giving your wingers a chance to snatch the rubber instead.

The physics also give the development team the opportunity to execute on a feature fans have been asking about for years: broken sticks. What took so long? Littman clarifies that "we didn't want to do it until we could do it right." With real-time interaction replacing scripted sequences, shattered stick can get in the way of the play, obscuring the puck during a pass or hindering you while you're skating. As in a real hockey match, this situation adds an element of panic and strategy, which you can solve by grabbing a new stick from the bench, changing lines, or --our favorite -- passing yours to a stick-less player. Breaking the stick doesn't put you out of the play, either: you can kick the puck up the ice and even glove-pass to teammates.

If a downed defender is flailing madly, the redefined deke system lets you stylishly escape around him, and even OVER him, too."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Matt Diesel @ 05/25/10 12:28 PM
Love it. Thanks Qb.

# 22 06woz @ 05/25/10 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm erring on the side of caution until I get the OK from Alain to discuss anything specific. Maybe I should check my email...
Understandable, I've been in the same position, albeit not with a video game. coughstudentsunioncough

# 23 plaidchuck @ 05/25/10 08:40 PM
haha sounds amazing but wait a minute! "Glove pass to teammates" So they're letting you intentionally do a hand pass that will be whistled down?! Now that would be something.

# 24 SidVish @ 05/25/10 09:47 PM
NHL 10 was the first next gen hockey game I've played and I'm hooked. I can't wait for this one. Sounds awesome.

# 25 Vic1 @ 05/25/10 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
haha sounds amazing but wait a minute! "Glove pass to teammates" So they're letting you intentionally do a hand pass that will be whistled down?! Now that would be something.
You can make a hand pass to a teammate if you are both in the defensive zone. That's legal.

# 26 shanew21 @ 05/25/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1
You can make a hand pass to a teammate if you are both in the defensive zone. That's legal.
+1

So many people don't know this rule. Every time I'm at a hockey game (or playing a hockey game) the fans go crazy if they see a hand pass, but fail to realize it's legal in the defensive zone.

# 27 Lubey @ 05/26/10 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew21
+1

So many people don't know this rule. Every time I'm at a hockey game (or playing a hockey game) the fans go crazy if they see a hand pass, but fail to realize it's legal in the defensive zone.
No kidding. I played defense and utilized this all the time. Sometimes the refs would realize it was legal after blowing the whistle. The rules might differ by league.

# 28 The Visualizer @ 05/26/10 04:17 AM
nice...maybe I will actually be able to win a couple faceoffs this year

# 29 Vikes1 @ 05/26/10 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
From what I'm getting out of the early information is the entire game is based on the physics engine and not so much based on some new mechanic like faceoffs for example.
This is how I'm taking it too Realmk. I hope to God the new physics cover nearly all aspects of the game.

Hopefully this new engine will prove to be more than just a name. And it will truly change the way we play the game. Can't wait to see video evidence of the new physics in action. I'm not expecting "Backbreaker" type of results. But hopefully something that makes a nice difference from where we are now.

# 30 Lubey @ 05/26/10 04:25 AM
If it's enough to result in broken sticks in a way that's realistic, it's gonna be a good thing. The devs said they did it right and based on the past 4 years I believe them.

# 31 Lubey @ 05/26/10 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Funny you mention it, backbreaker came to mind when I was initially reading the info. If that's the direction the team is moving in to try and make the game more realistic, I'm all for it. Littman's theme has consistantly been to make the game real and authentic and given their track record so far considering the game has gotten at least a little better each year, it sounds like NHL11 might actually be making some bigger leaps than 08/09/10 did.
Agreed. There's the potential for it at least. Most of my EASHL team and myself have agreed the series needs some sort of new engine to try to get rid of all the ways a user can exploit the animation system of the game, whether it be dekeing or whatever. I'm still wrapping my head around how the new physics engine could potentially change different situations in the game, but it seems quite promising. For example, if there is stick collision, which seems optimistic but not impossible considering there are broken sticks, then people wouldn't be able to deke through 3 guys as easily anymore.

# 32 Primal80s @ 05/26/10 05:01 AM
Quote:

So instead of improving the game by, say, doubling the number of animations, "It's using physics," he shares. "It's not animation-driven."

Please let this apply for goalies as well. It about time we had puck aware goalies, not scripted saves. Nothing feels worse than being stuck out of position in a tight game because the goalie needs to finish an animation and having an easy save scored on you. Wraparounds are far too easy online since human goalies take a second (a long time in such a fast game) to move from post to post with RT, simply because that's how many frames are in the animation. I want to see my goalie push off with all his leg strength and get over and make the easy stop.

Also, hopefully with dynamic physics based gameplay comes the AI awareness required to pull it off successfully. With canned or scripted animations, awareness of the game situation does not need to be very high since it is just following pre-set rules. I'd like to see player awareness similar to that of a certain physics based football game that is released next month. Then the game will be truly spectacular.

Finally, thanks EA. Thanks a whole bunch. I swore to myself I wouldn't get sucked into the media hype like a player sucked in by boardplay for NHL 11. I told myself I'd wait a month or two, see other people's reactions and then consider the purchase. This will be very difficult now. Very difficult indeed. Thanks a lot for a genuine love of hockey, video games and listening to your playerbase

# 33 06woz @ 05/26/10 01:58 PM

# 34 Money99 @ 05/26/10 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Nice! Thanks!

# 35 TIm @ 05/26/10 08:31 PM
I can honestly say I can't wait until Sept!! IMO who gives a cR$p about football.. This hockey title I have a feeling will just be amazing... Developers for Ea Canada/Nhl series have my complete respect.. Somehow when they say something to us, I believe they are going to deliver.. If not perfect, They at least will try it... This is about the ONLY developer I actually trust... I don't know why alot of other developers can't tell us the truth or give us what we should've had 5 years ago.. I'm not going to point fingers.. But NHL series from Ea has just been constantly better.. I am mainly a sports gamer so I can't speak for all developers.. I will say it will be a long summer.. 1) I don't like the heat so much and 2) NHL 11 is coming out.. I think presentation is fine for the most part.. However, If Ea NHL series delivers on this "new engine" then The current presentation will be fine with me.. Just give me a realistic playing game, and Some decent presentation Which Nhl 10 has, I am one happy gamer

# 36 Vikes1 @ 05/26/10 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
I can honestly say I can't wait until Sept!! IMO who gives a cR$p about football.. This hockey title I have a feeling will just be amazing... Developers for Ea Canada/Nhl series have my complete respect.. Somehow when they say something to us, I believe they are going to deliver.. If not perfect, They at least will try it... This is about the ONLY developer I actually trust... I don't know why alot of other developers can't tell us the truth or give us what we should've had 5 years ago.. I'm not going to point fingers.. But NHL series from Ea has just been constantly better.. I am mainly a sports gamer so I can't speak for all developers.. I will say it will be a long summer.. 1) I don't like the heat so much and 2) NHL 11 is coming out.. I think presentation is fine for the most part.. However, If Ea NHL series delivers on this "new engine" then The current presentation will be fine with me.. Just give me a realistic playing game, and Some decent presentation Which Nhl 10 has, I am one happy gamer
I agree with a lot of what you say here Tim.

The NHL game has cause me to lose quite a bit of interest in the football games too. I especially like that the NHL game is nearly non stop action. And I don't have to have a boat load of "House rules" with NHL.

And yep...I do have a bit more faith in the EA Canada team also.

# 37 Red71Star @ 05/27/10 08:31 PM
WTB time traveling pod to get to mid-Sept already!

# 38 JimmyDeicide @ 05/27/10 08:36 PM
This physics thing is a tough one for me, i just dont see how its going to be done properly without redoing the whole engine. Do they mean real physics within their engine or REAL world physics all i can say is what is in the game now is the opposite of real physics as far as the puck goes im guessing its everything but the puck in this case.
If they could somehow create realistic puck physics with this engine ill be all over it as it would go along way towards changing the feeling of the game which doesn't always feel as if it would be happening this way in real life.

# 39 06woz @ 05/27/10 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
This physics thing is a tough one for me, i just dont see how its going to be done properly without redoing the whole engine. Do they mean real physics within their engine or REAL world physics all i can say is what is in the game now is the opposite of real physics as far as the puck goes im guessing its everything but the puck in this case.
If they could somehow create realistic puck physics with this engine ill be all over it as it would go along way towards changing the feeling of the game which doesn't always feel as if it would be happening this way in real life.
Real time physics is a new engine.

# 40 06woz @ 05/27/10 09:31 PM
Where are you getting this new information? I doubt they'd make us pay for a demo

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.