Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

IGN has just posted their NBA 2K11 preview, as well as some new screenshots.

Quote:
"Physical play (bodies jostling in the post or when a player drives to the lane) is getting an overhaul this year as well. If you played last year's FIFA game from EA Sports, you'll know what to expect from NBA 2K11. In other words, you're always able to have a sense of control even if your player is bumping into someone else on the court. No matter the collision, the goal of the development team is to ensure that players always feel like they're in control of their player's weight and momentum. I didn't get a chance to get a feel for the feature yet, but I'll be sure to dive a bit deeper the next time I get my hands on the game.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, there are a lot of gameplay changes in NBA 2K11. Far too many to be dished out in a single preview. Rest assured, if you were someone who hated the feeling of being out of control in last year's game, you shouldn't have that problem with NBA 2K11. From spin moves that branch into one-armed pump fakes to those that end in jump shots to dribble animations that can branch into any number of moves, 2K11 seems to have really nailed the look and feel of the NBA with the gameplay revisions."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 2kfanatic @ 07/30/10 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy703
and for those of you who say the shot stick was in 2k and now went to elite... yes and no i would say because the elite shot stick is completely different you have to roll up from the left to do a left handed lay up and from the right to do a right handed lay up... you have to have the stick pointing straight up and have great timing in order to make it on nba elite or else it will miss right or left like in real life... on 2k it doesnt have to be straight up as long as you flick the stick, it can be left right up down all that. Plus Elite is still different because if you think about elite uses the right stick for all on ball movement... dribbling, shooting and anything else that the hands would do in real life except passing...
What made you think that the freestyle passing of 2k is the same with elite's? We barely got any detailed info about this so we cannot say that this is a direct rip off like how live did it when they indrectly ripped of the shot stick.

Both games copy from each other we all know that and the reason why most people were not excited about Elite's announcement is because for years they have been announcing "cool gameplay improvements" that sounds good on paper but does not really execute well.

# 82 2kfanatic @ 07/30/10 09:57 AM
Quote:
i play 2k10 heavy this year, but damn it seems like everything they mentioned they stole right from nba live 10 and nba elite 11, is there any originality in their thought process... Its funny though because when live announced this stuff people were not excited about it and they actually downed EA for doing it lol, but since 2k is announcing it and its all exciting because its 2k... thats just like people that choose the iPhone or the EVO because of the name lol
They will copy myplayer mode so I guess we can call it quits lol. EA has been a hype machine for years although I think last year they have delivered well which is why people are not so excited when an announcement is from EA.

# 83 amedawg00 @ 07/30/10 10:02 AM
The freestyle passing, player urgency in making cuts, and the additional off ball controls is what has me most excited, from a sim player perspective.

# 84 ps3veron @ 07/30/10 10:07 AM
Quite a positive preview considering how early of a build they played.

# 85 jeebs9 @ 07/30/10 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
The freestyle passing, player urgency in making cuts, and the additional off ball controls is what has me most excited, from a sim player perspective.
It will be funny if they don't have them for online...lol

# 86 jeebs9 @ 07/30/10 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Quite a positive preview considering how early of a build they played.
Exactly!! Obviously details like socks and arm pads will be missing. Thats stuff they are not worried about right now. 2k has always been gameplay first then the way it looks. They probably been playing with Polygraphic.

I'm just surprised they had a stable build of the game to play. They usually don't have anything really stable until about a month or 2 before release.

# 87 2kfanatic @ 07/30/10 10:19 AM
Quote:
i kind of disregarded what you said seeing that your name says 2k fanatic... you want to go there with the elite copying my player thing lol, thats ******** to assume that... 1 they are just giving people what they ask for, 2k is copying because no one asked for that... and 2... madden, and nhl had that before nba 2k so EA already had other franchises with superstar modes
Well my username is 2kfanatic but I'm not really a fanatic lol. And we are comparing basketball games right? People asked for control too so 2k gave it too so that made it ok? And in the end its not about who did it first but who will do it better and who will do it? I dont know too early to tell.

# 88 amedawg00 @ 07/30/10 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
It will be funny if they don't have them for online...lol
When will all sports game developers see the light that online gaming is the future! The days of playing endless seasons of franchise mode against the robotic CPU are becoming relics of the past. They better make those features avaialable online!...lol.

# 89 2kfanatic @ 07/30/10 10:38 AM
Good preview although like most people here, I would prefer a preview about collision and defense and how hard will it be to lead pass.

# 90 bearschicago @ 07/30/10 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kfanatic
Good preview although like most people here, I would prefer a preview about collision and defense and how hard will it be to lead pass.
+1 I want 2K to make defense a top priority.

# 91 ps3veron @ 07/30/10 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
They usually don't have anything really stable until about a month or 2 before release.
Or probably even after considering 2K's rep lol..

Good thing, a patch free year we hope?

# 92 2kfanatic @ 07/30/10 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Or probably even after considering 2K's rep lol..

Good thing, a patch free year we hope?
Please, I want a playable game out of the box. If there will be a patch I hope its just minor and not like "my teamates dont wanna play D cause they are not making $20 dollars a year and they gotta feed their family" patch fix. Like how live 10 was said to be perfect out of the box....

Please please please do a dev insight dedicated to defense cause we really dont need too much moves to score in 2k10 because defense is so limited to the point that learning other moves is not necessary to score with Eduardo Najera.

# 93 NINJAK2 @ 07/30/10 10:55 AM
That was a great read and sounds like they did alot of work on gameplay. Love the parts on playcalling and urgency of cuts. Like many have said, I hope they put that same kind of urgency of cuts/movement into the defensive players as well such as chasing players off screens, etc.

Screens look good for the most part and it's obvious from that heat screenshot that they fixed Wade's mug. Would have loved to see a non blurred out Melo, Pierce, and David Lee screenshot to see if they have improved as well.

# 94 bearschicago @ 07/30/10 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kfanatic
Please, I want a playable game out of the box. If there will be a patch I hope its just minor and not like "my teamates dont wanna play D cause they are not making $20 dollars a year and they gotta feed their family" patch fix. Like how live 10 was said to be perfect out of the box....

Please please please do a dev insight dedicated to defense cause we really dont need too much moves to score in 2k10 because defense is so limited to the point that learning other moves is not necessary to score with Eduardo Najera.
In 2K10 if I wanted to, I could score with any player every time down the floor. No matter the difficulty or sliders.

But I don't want to do that because it's boring and not sim at all. I just want a 2K NBA game that rewards sim style instead of cheese style.

I also hope there is a Dev Insight totally focused on defense and how it has improved. I'd like to see more fouls: illegal screens/pushing/holding/hand-check/away from the ball fouls/double fouls/offensive fouls when you clear out the defender with your off-arm.

I'd also like to see carrying/palming/double dribble violations being added. This would be useful when you try to do too many crossovers at once.

In other words, every action should have a reaction. Or to put it in basketball terms every offensive move can be countered with a defensive move.

# 95 23 @ 07/30/10 11:12 AM
Look guys

Can we please focus on the topic at hand

Lets not turn every topic into 2k vs ea

or another wishlist thread.. it clutters threads and takes them off topic

# 96 Furq @ 07/30/10 11:26 AM
Good for the additions.

Some of the things were already in the game last year though like mid air collisions. It's how well they were implemented that wasn't really discussed.

# 97 Furq @ 07/30/10 11:27 AM
As long as we are getting more control, I'd also like how long you press the shot stick to affect how long your player jumps for the jumpshot. If you quick release to beat the buzzer etc I'd like your player to fling the ball a bit more instead of having the same animation either way

# 98 parkinson @ 07/30/10 11:49 AM
More user control is good, but where is defense thing in this preview? Off the Ball Control taken from Live 10 is gonna killing this game.

When you are good at OBC, you can dominate the game in the paint.

No improving defense logic plus OBC = disaster.

# 99 23 @ 07/30/10 12:15 PM
If OBC control didnt kill previous 2ks nor did it kill Live, I highly doubt its going to kill 2k11

I wish the guys here would spend more time discussing what was said rather than what wasnt covered yet

# 100 youvalss @ 07/30/10 12:31 PM
I'm probably the only one here who doesn't like that Euro Step. First, I don't think it's that common in the NBA, it's not like it's a must for every player. How many players really use it every game?
And also, it's a cheesy move that might be used by the CPU, just like that hop-step layup in 2K6. Do you guys remember that move? The CPU would perform it at will, while for us it was automatic with no control over it. Now that we have control over that new move, if you play against someone he/she will probably do it every second posession. I hope 2K did to it what EA did to the hop-step in Live 2005, after it was a cheesy move in Live 2004. I just don't want it to succeed every time, I really hope the defense can fight this move.

I really really hope there's a tendency slider for the Euro-Step. I'll probably set it very low for the CPU.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.