Home
NHL 11 News Post

To be completely honest, I don’t follow hockey as much as I used to. I was a big Flyers fan during the Legion of Doom era, and I have to admit that The Mighty Ducks movies are a big time guilty pleasure. But following the lockout of 2005, my waning interest finally disappeared.

I only mention this because, despite my strenuous relationship with the NHL, my interest in hockey games never faded. From middle-school marathons of NHLPA '93 to NHL Hitz 2000-03 to the revamp of the NHL franchise, ice hockey games have been a consistent source of enjoyment for me.

Which leads me to the review of NHL 11, which is ultimately a refined production of NHL 10. This is by no means a bad thing, as NHL 10 was a great game, and NHL 11 is even better. It’s just that the changes made can seem slight, especially if you, like me, are not an intense hockey fan. Does this mean NHL 11 doesn’t warrant a purchase? Not really...

Read More - NHL 11 Review

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 megamante360 @ 09/08/10 01:09 PM
great review

# 2 Benicio10 @ 09/08/10 01:15 PM
Same score as Madden? Unbelievable.

# 3 malachijohn666 @ 09/08/10 01:43 PM
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but are any teams having new third jersey's introduced this year? Are we going to have to wait for a new code?

# 4 buzzguy @ 09/08/10 01:50 PM
You should start watching hockey on the tube again, Caley! It's addicting, and some would say a better product "post-lockout".

Good review, btw.

# 5 Tomba @ 09/08/10 01:52 PM
Great review. A 9 is right on the money. games a joy to play once sliders are tweaked...

# 6 Jimmy_Fairplay @ 09/08/10 01:54 PM
I think you mean tenuous, not strenuous...

# 7 Super Glock @ 09/08/10 02:22 PM
I thought this was a rather weak review, I would strongly recommend the review by Bill Abner.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/361...-11-Review.htm

# 8 ChaseB @ 09/08/10 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Fairplay
No no, he's a Flyers fan.

# 9 russwg1970 @ 09/08/10 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glock
I thought this was a rather weak review, I would strongly recommend the review by Bill Abner.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/361...-11-Review.htm
I thought this review was a descent read, though the wording of this review isn't very strong or convincing in regards to the improvement NHL 11 is over NHL 10. The reviewer at Gameshark was more convincing and informative to the improvments and additions that NHL 11 offers over NHL 10. Thanks for the link.

# 10 LingeringRegime @ 09/08/10 03:03 PM
Wow, this game seems to be really good. I always enjoyed EA's hockey games. I may have to pick this up today.

# 11 Inhocmark @ 09/08/10 03:31 PM
I liked the review. It was written by somebody who knows sports but perhaps isn't a complete hardcore hockey nerd. The hardcores don't need a review, they've bought it already. This kind of review is more for the general sports fan and perhaps they're not going to see the same changes we are.

I've got no problem with the review or the score...Not that it impacts my buying decision anyways

# 12 CPRoark @ 09/08/10 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Fairplay
You are correct, sir!

To be fair, I was using "strenuous" and its meaning of "requiring great exertion;toilsome"...though you are right, I really was thinking "tenuous."

Chase...these days I liked to be grouped in with the Phillies fans, though I'm not sure that's a huge improvement.

# 13 CPRoark @ 09/08/10 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
You should start watching hockey on the tube again, Caley! It's addicting, and some would say a better product "post-lockout".

Good review, btw.
Thanks...maybe I will. I caught a few of the finals games last year, primarily as a bandwagon Flyers fan. College sporst and basketball don't do much for me, and I don't expect much out of the Eagles so it looks like I'll need something to carry me to Spring Training.

# 14 Yankees_CT @ 09/08/10 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhocmark
I liked the review. It was written by somebody who knows sports but perhaps isn't a complete hardcore hockey nerd. The hardcores don't need a review, they've bought it already. This kind of review is more for the general sports fan and perhaps they're not going to see the same changes we are.

I've got no problem with the review or the score...Not that it impacts my buying decision anyways
Agree, from a non-hardcore fan like myself, I thought it was a great review and may actually encourage me to pick this one up. Haven't played a hockey game since '95'

# 15 budsticky @ 09/08/10 04:41 PM
Obviously most reviewers aren't playing this game that thoroughly in BAGM mode. The mode is rendered completely useless IMO thanks to totally random team records(again), bogus cpu sim stats, and players that never get injured or fatigued, thus playing every single game(this contributes to the poor sim stats). Adding to the chaos is the fact that the CPU sim teams rack up almost no penalty minutes in BAGM mode. I'll agree that the gameplay is tremendous, but BAGM is severely lacking for the reasons I mentioned and only the Gameshark review bothered to mention these problems.

# 16 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/08/10 05:32 PM
if madden got a 9 then this game needs a 14

# 17 Vikes1 @ 09/08/10 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
Obviously most reviewers aren't playing this game that thoroughly in BAGM mode. The mode is rendered completely useless IMO thanks to totally random team records(again), bogus cpu sim stats, and players that never get injured or fatigued, thus playing every single game(this contributes to the poor sim stats). Adding to the chaos is the fact that the CPU sim teams rack up almost no penalty minutes in BAGM mode. I'll agree that the gameplay is tremendous, but BAGM is severely lacking for the reasons I mentioned and only the Gameshark review bothered to mention these problems.
Although I love the game, but your points Bud, about the GM mode are hard to argue.

It would be great if with the coming patch to fix the star players being stuck in the AHL...if they went further and patched up some of the other issues that you mentioned.

If the GM mode was as sturdy and strong as the game play, imo...you'd be looking at a near perfect game. Again, only my opinion.

# 18 NYwRiter94 @ 09/08/10 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
The team records aren't and never have been random--they're just very heavily reliant upon goaltending, which is why you'd see the Red Wings miss the playoffs every year in NHL 10.

# 19 Vikes1 @ 09/09/10 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
if madden got a 9 then this game needs a 14
I agree Maniac.

Of course no game is perfect. But imo...there's just no comparison between the two games, game play.

Again, jmo...but I believe NHL does a much better job at mimicking it's sport than Madden does. I think Madden's a decent game...but NHL is just unreal good.

# 20 codered11 @ 09/09/10 05:58 PM
Does anyone know if this game has multi-player franchise or dynasty mode this year

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.