Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

The EA Sports MMA demo is now available for the 360. Download it now or queue it up right here.

Please download it and post your impressions here.

UPDATE: It is now available for PS3 users.

Quote:
"EA SPORTS MMA brings the authenticity of the world’s most intense combat sport home like never before. Go on the offensive with a dynamic control system for strikes, elbows, knees and kicks and strategically manage advances and counters with an intuitive submission system. Battle it out in the Strikeforce cage or deliver vicious soccer kicks and head stomps in a ring in Japan. Are you ready? Let’s get it on!"

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Phobia @ 09/28/10 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Big John McCarthy talked with us at length about judging, he helped us quite a bit with our design of the judging system. John talked a LENGTH about how it's one of the problems with the sport in his opinion, but if we want to be true to how it works we have to stick with the fact that judges simply score things differently, some judges are partial to defensive fighting "smart" fighting, some are partial to takedowns, some are partial to guys who take bigger risks etc... one of the things people ALWAYS say is DON'T let it go to the judges because it's anyone's game unless you OWNED the fight. Each judge counts everything that happens in the fight and weighs them based on their persona's like/dislike (so one will score takedowns as very valuable, others might only like a takedown if you do something with it for example).

I admit it might feel unfair but there is NOTHING random about judging and everything you and your opponent do is clicked and counted very carefully, then fed into the judging system. It's sort of "luck of which judges you get" and what you like to do, but if you let it go to the judges (like the real sport) it can go either way unless you clearly dominated the fight. Based on our time with Big John and Frank Shamrock we introduced coded judge persona's that are behind the scenes to make it like realistic judging and it's why some judges will score fights differently than others. I promise there is nothing random, its just one judge might not like "lay and pray" and decide to give your opponent a round (like what happened in Miller/Shields last fight)... Others might call that "dominating a round"
Yea just like I was saying WOW!!!!!! Don't let it go to the judges because you never know.

I like what you described. I have yet to see it in action since I have not had a decision yet. But I plan on having a couple tonight.

# 62 Phobia @ 09/28/10 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
This is by far my favorite part of the demo.

There will be some great matches where I know I'll be leaving knowing what I did wrong at that moment that cost me the fight, or maybe some tendencies I should have avoided throughout the fight.

What will be interesting too is how some want to see that brutal knockout and try and pursue that, making them susceptible to being the victim of that brutal knockout or a submission.
Yea everything is done with such a balance to it I am so impressed.

Stamina like GMSS was talking about is done so well. Then everything has a counter.

Go against a big striker, they can leave themselves open for that big KO if you slip a punch and land a key punch.

Or you go against that dominate submission fighter and you must remain calm when it hits the ground. Other wise you could panic and blow all your stamina and quickly get tapped.

On and On and on.

# 63 Lakers 24 7 @ 09/28/10 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMimic
Second fight same two fighters. Sprawling is too easy in my opinion on Legend, it's pretty much as simple as if you hit the button anywhere near the right time you defend it. Lashley took me down 11 times in this fight...but I stopped 18 of his takedowns. Stamina is well done, even though I defended a lot of takedowns I spent the majority of the fight on the bottom and by the end of the second round my stamina was only refilling up halfway.

I kept trying to throw up submissions but with my stamina drained I couldn't really do much with it. It gave you the sense of a real fight when a guy keeps trying for them but just doesn't have the energy to finish. Hard to really get a feel for the striking when 3 of the 4 guys in the demo are ground guys. So I can't really open up because I'll get taken down.
How can you say sprawling is too easy when Lashley took you down 11 times? That's a lot.

# 64 Headtrip325 @ 09/28/10 03:01 PM
great game so far, popped into the demo for a bit and was loving the presentation (minus voice of ring announcer very bland and just to blah no emotion in the introductions. but very small and just a detail nothing to really do with mechanics of game), still trying to get used to not hitting the right stick to block transitions and takedowns. so as another user said as soon as i can get UFC's control layout out of my head i think it will be a really great game( that is when i'm not getting smashed my Lashley over and over because i forget to hit B and flick the right stick back instead).

# 65 Lakers 24 7 @ 09/28/10 03:01 PM
Quote:
Big John McCarthy talked with us at length about judging, he helped us quite a bit with our design of the judging system. John talked a LENGTH about how it's one of the problems with the sport in his opinion, but if we want to be true to how it works we have to stick with the fact that judges simply score things differently, some judges are partial to defensive fighting "smart" fighting, some are partial to takedowns, some are partial to guys who take bigger risks etc... one of the things people ALWAYS say is DON'T let it go to the judges because it's anyone's game unless you OWNED the fight. Each judge counts everything that happens in the fight and weighs them based on their persona's like/dislike (so one will score takedowns as very valuable, others might only like a takedown if you do something with it for example).

I admit it might feel unfair but there is NOTHING random about judging and everything you and your opponent do is clicked and counted very carefully, then fed into the judging system. It's sort of "luck of which judges you get" and what you like to do, but if you let it go to the judges (like the real sport) it can go either way unless you clearly dominated the fight. Based on our time with Big John and Frank Shamrock we introduced coded judge persona's that are behind the scenes to make it like realistic judging and it's why some judges will score fights differently than others. I promise there is nothing random, its just one judge might not like "lay and pray" and decide to give your opponent a round (like what happened in Miller/Shields last fight)... Others might call that "dominating a round"

That sounds absolutely perfect!

I believe there are a couple bugs you guys may want to look into though. Some of the stats seem to be a bit off from time to time. I had the game record 60/60 knee strikes for me when I only threw 3. I've also been awarded a victory despite losing on the judges scorecard.

Other than that this game seems great. It's really amazing what you guys accomplished on your first release. Just from playing the demo it really seems like a seasoned and well polished product. Love how you guys captured the strategy and game planning of MMA. Can't wait for this to drop!

# 66 Mossfan8480 @ 09/28/10 03:04 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Simon.

There is a problem, though. No doubt about it.

Not so much that judges are giving the wrong guy the rounds, but that they are giving way too many 10-8 rounds. I just went to decision two more times to make sure that what I was seeing wasn't an anomaly. 10-8 rounds are in abundance in the demo. They should be reserved for severely lopsided rounds, not rounds where there is a clear winner, but rounds where the winner almost finishes the loser ala Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, (http://www.hookedonmma.com/wp-conten...score-card.jpg), and more recently, Round 1 of Joe Soto vs. Joe Warren.

# 67 SgtDillznick @ 09/28/10 03:32 PM
This sounds awsome! I can't wait to get home and get it downloaded myself. It sounds like two players who know what they are doing can have some great battles. If live broadcast delivers, I might be doing more watching than playing.

And if Create-A-Fighter is up to snuff, in due time, we will have all of the greats from that *cough cough* other league.

Q4 2010 is gonna be crazy for gamers.

# 68 scottyo60 @ 09/28/10 03:39 PM
anim8tor... has anyone had the problem I had where I won all three rounds and it said so on the score card at the end, but the cpu picked up the win? it's only happened one time in the miller, shields fight but still something to look for?

# 69 DaveDQ @ 09/28/10 03:40 PM
I finally beat Lashley..LOL...I totally suck but I was jabbing him and noticed he couldn't retaliate. His head was in trouble and I took him down on the attack.

It's good when the demo to a game gets you to jump out of your seat and fist pump.

# 70 Money99 @ 09/28/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Another thing I mgiht add is that so far, I haven't been able to do any cheese move. You can't spam anything in this game because everything you do uses stamina., even blocking, so you can't hold the block button all day either.

The more subs you do, the quicker you gas out for missing. Same thing with punching and kicking. You throw 4 strikes in rapid fire, your stamina going to empty out. You miss a strike, your stamina takes a hit, especially if a person sway out of the way, you take a even bigger stamina hit.
This is great news. I'll have to check out the demo at home.
And it also has me excited for Fight Night Champion. They need to link stamina to defending in that game as well.

# 71 23bluesman @ 09/28/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
anim8tor... has anyone had the problem I had where I won all three rounds and it said so on the score card at the end, but the cpu picked up the win? it's only happened one time in the miller, shields fight but still something to look for?
Someone at the EA MMA website forums had the same problem.

# 72 phant030 @ 09/28/10 03:44 PM
OMG...decided to play on Hard...submitted within the first 30 seconds every match lol....boy, i suck...but there is an intensity there, a fear...which I feel I need to learn how to win, and not a desire to quit playing.

# 73 DaveDQ @ 09/28/10 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
This is great news. I'll have to check out the demo at home.
And it also has me excited for Fight Night Champion. They need to link stamina to defending in that game as well.
They definitely need to focus on stamina like the EA MMA team did here. I don't compare EA MMA to UFC as much as I compare it to FN for this reason. Playing this demo really makes me wish FN took this route in the stamina.

# 74 Bronk_Bonin @ 09/28/10 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
They definitely need to focus on stamina like the EA MMA team did here. I don't compare EA MMA to UFC as much as I compare it to FN for this reason. Playing this demo really makes me wish FN took this route in the stamina.
Being a huge boxing fan first and a rising MMA fan second, we can only hope FN takes the same approach. I'm confident they will.

# 75 EarvGotti @ 09/28/10 03:55 PM
Another thing i've noticed, is that I have not seen a Flash KO yet!!!!!!

This is great! Because in UFC they were too frequent. Their lack of frequency in EA MMA will make them much more enjoyable....and thats the way it should be.

# 76 Kabuki @ 09/28/10 04:03 PM
how is the Damage modeling? Is it realistic? can you really open someone up? Bruises?

Do characters show long term effects of taking too many kicks to the ribs... etc?

# 77 DaveDQ @ 09/28/10 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki
how is the Damage modeling? Is it realistic? can you really open someone up? Bruises?

Do characters show long term effects of taking too many kicks to the ribs... etc?
Cuts look good. Blood on the ground looks blurry and feathered. It doesn't look that great. What I'm noticing is if you throw consecutive hits, they become vulnerable. If I hit with leg kicks, takedowns come easier. I can confirm that. You have to work your opponent before you can simply have your way with him. And that's me playing on medium.

# 78 Lakers 24 7 @ 09/28/10 04:23 PM
In comparison to FN, it's not just the stamina that makes EA MMA more realistic. It's the fact that distance and footwork actually plays a factor as well. In the MMA game you can stick and move and get in and out of the pocket when you want. Unfortunately with FN the game mechanics kind of forces you to stand toe to toe because the fighters don't move around fast or realistically.

# 79 DaveDQ @ 09/28/10 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
In comparison to FN, it's not just the stamina that makes EA MMA more realistic. It's the fact that distance and footwork actually plays a factor as well. In the MMA game you can stick and move and get in and out of the pocket when you want. Unfortunately with FN the game mechanics kind of forces you to stand toe to toe because the fighters don't move around fast or realistically.
I agree. I was just replying to Money's post in the boxing forum on what MMA does right.

Lashley tried to stab me with a takedown and I jabbed him right out of it. You can't help but think about how nice it would have been to see the jab work like that in FN4. The jab in MMA, mixed with the footwork is very nicely done.

# 80 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/28/10 04:33 PM
Also......unlike UFC 2010, there isn't an instant blood bath from one strike on the ground. Good lord I have lost count now on how many different throws I have seen in this game.

You can really tell actual fighters were deeply involved in this game. Every base appears to be covered. Escapes aren't over the top. Counters and transitions aren't over the top either. People move fluid and natural.

More importantly, you leave an opening, the cpu will try to capitalize on it. Keep trying to do the same thing and they will counter it with a sub move or knee. Foot stomps are awesome.

Kneeing from the bottom in half guard is awesome. Hitting people in their back with your heel in full guard is awesome. Finally a MMA game were a BJJ fighter is deadly on the ground. You definitely don't want to stay in somebody's full guard in this game that is for sure.

Everytime I stayed too long in Miller's or Shield's guard they would go for a submission, whether it was a triangle, armbar, or gogoplata. Miller even hit me with a Darce choke when I tried to shoot in on him. I was like wow.

Another awesome thing is that sub moves aren't instant. You really got to work for it even when you got it applied.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.