Home
NASCAR The Game 2011 News Post

Jon Robinson, over at ESPN The Gamer, has posted an interview with Ed Martin, Eutechnyx's Executive Vice President, as they talk about NASCAR The Game 2011.

Quote:
"If you go back in time, in 1994, Papyrus released 'NASCAR Racing,' the original NASCAR game & Papyrus was a developer," explains Ed Martin, Eutechnyx's Executive Vice President, North America as I get him on the phone to talk about his upcoming game. "The very first time the license went out, it was a developer doing it. The industry has obviously changed quite a bit since then, but giving the license to a developer really puts us in a unique situation. We just had the guys from NASCAR out at our studio in the UK, and it was really cool to have them in the midst of development working with the guys on the victory lane animation and working with the guy doing the fly-over sequence and working with the guy who is tweaking and tuning the A.I. for Dale Earnhardt Jr. so it actually drives and reacts like him.

"They really got excited about this because this isn't some big publisher using some anonymous external developer. We are out there with these guys. We are working with not only NASCAR, but the drivers and the R&D center and the engine builders and everyone is really excited about the fact that we are right there with them. Eutechnyx owns the license, we're developing the game, and it's a dynamic partnership with Activision. They've been great to work with."

Game: NASCAR The Game 2011Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NASCAR The Game 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 King10Sooted @ 09/29/10 06:39 PM
Im trying to not get too high of expectations for this game because I dont want to be disappointed. But after reading that, this is sounding pretty good.

# 2 sraczk2011 @ 09/29/10 07:14 PM
Quote:
At the same time, you can't get too sim-y. We want you to jump right in and have fun.
These are 2 sentences that will get you far at OS lol.

# 3 BurghFan @ 09/29/10 07:32 PM
Oh man, this looks like it will be awesome. It didn't say anything about series other than Sprint Cup being in the game but a few comments hinted at the possibility of at least Nationwide being in.

So Steve, any chance of getting a developer in here for a Q&A thread as we get closer to release?

# 4 mjwickstrom1 @ 09/29/10 09:55 PM
Finally! Can't wait for this game!

# 5 GamerzIgnite @ 09/29/10 10:34 PM
First, that logo looks like it was from a beginners photoshop course...

and i dont see anything new about this game that makes me want this over any other racing game out there. Personally i dont know why any nascar game wouldnt go full-sim. If you try and go arcade...then Need for Speed or GT5 (which has Nascar) are far better options.

# 6 Dazraz @ 09/30/10 03:58 AM
Great news. I feel the NASCAR franchise is large enough to justify it's own title & not just be a thrown in license as it is in GT5.

There hasn't been a quality NASCAR game since NASCAR Thunder. That game had the atmosphere of the sport that has been missing on subsequent releases.

Good to hear that NASCAR themselves are having more hands on input too.

# 7 Lieutenant Dan @ 09/30/10 10:44 AM
Thanks so much, Steve. I love how you're all over following this game! I'm getting more stoked with every thing you post on it....can't wait for some in-game screenies.

# 8 lnin0 @ 09/30/10 11:03 AM
Not excited about the Activision involvement but I do have a lot of faith in Ed Martin.

Next to Dave Kaemmer and Geoff Crammond he is one of the best in the sim business. I know he was at Papyrus and then went off to form Monster games who made Viper Racing and NASCAR Heat for the PC.

Not sure how well it is going to turn out. Being a small developer with two puppet masters is not going to be an easy act to juggle. I hope for the best and guess we will find out in February.

# 9 kubankaos @ 09/30/10 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerzIgnite
First, that logo looks like it was from a beginners photoshop course...

and i dont see anything new about this game that makes me want this over any other racing game out there. Personally i dont know why any nascar game wouldnt go full-sim. If you try and go arcade...then Need for Speed or GT5 (which has Nascar) are far better options.
I agree, nothing in there has me excited. It sounds like what they would say about Madden and having it accessible to everybody.

Also are crashes really that important to people? Yeah it looks cool like once, but normally I would rather race.

So if I had to put my money down, I would bet that I'll still be playing NR2003 after this drops. EDIT: It isn't on the PC. NVM.

So I even less excited for it now. Might be fun for a bit though, but I thought it was on the PC and was hoping for something to replace NR2003 or at least another option.

# 10 BloodshedCanine @ 09/30/10 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubankaos
I agree, nothing in there has me excited. It sounds like what they would say about Madden and having it accessible to everybody.

Also are crashes really that important to people? Yeah it looks cool like once, but normally I would rather race.

So if I had to put my money down, I would bet that I'll still be playing NR2003 after this drops.

Besides, I think I missed it, is it even on the PC? I saw this sentence and it threw me off, "We're also going to have online multiplayer through Xbox Live and PSN with up to 16 gamers online."
They said their wouldn't be a PC version.

Anyway, I'm excited. The last few EA Nascar games have been disappointments, but this sounds pretty cool. I'm glad their trying to make the crashes looks real. Can't wait.

I might need to get a PS3 for this.

# 11 kubankaos @ 09/30/10 02:13 PM
Yeah I saw that after and now the whole thing about making spectacular crashes and how important it is makes sense, since it will be a console only game.

# 12 mwjr @ 10/01/10 04:21 PM
Color me cautiosly optimistic.

# 13 seeuatthemovies @ 10/03/10 06:12 PM
I wasn't overly impressed by the trailer shown on this morning on Nascar Today, but I think there is promise here. As I stated in a previous post, I really want this to be good, but I know not to get my hopes up. I'm anxious to see game play footage in motion and not rendered fluff pieces because that's where we'll be able to make judgment on progress. I have a list of questions that I'd love to ask, but one of my main concerns out of the gate is, "Do I get to pit the car or are we looking at yet another game that runs on auto pilot when the car crosses the stripe at pit road?" There is no excuse for this generation of consoles to omit what is a critical element of the sport.

# 14 seeuatthemovies @ 10/03/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraczk2011
These are 2 sentences that will get you far at OS lol.
Or they could just develop two driving models so that there is what amounts to an arcade mode for casual non-Nascar types and a hardcore simulation mode for those of us who want as close a representation to the sport as possible.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.