Home
FIFA 11 News Post

While Madden pitched the idea of "simpler, quicker, deeper" in an attempt to broaden its appeal, the other recent EA Sports games appear to be heading in the opposite direction. NHL featured some significant changes, but many were probably overlooked by less than "hardcore" fans. Likewise, FIFA 11 is improved, but the refinements here are aimed at creating an authentic experience rather than enhancing accessibility. As such, FIFA 11 is a great representation of soccer, and the changes have made the game much more strategic, taut and rewarding. However, these changes definitely do not make the game easier.

Read More - FIFA Soccer 11 Review

FIFA Soccer 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 11Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 squadron supreme @ 10/08/10 12:42 PM
I totally agree with you about the tackling. The standing tackle takes the ball away the vast majority of the time now matter how good at tackling your opponent is. You combine that with the fact that teams can pressure you for an entire game and not see a stamina decrease makes it very difficult to create through the middle even with top playmakers(Xavi, Sneijder, Fabregas). I hope either through a patch or next years fifa they correct these two issues that have plagued the series for years.

# 2 addybojangles @ 10/08/10 01:25 PM
Is Ultimate Team really free? I could have sworn you got only a few games as a "trial" then had to pay for it....

I really dig FIFA this year, but totally agree with your assessment about the tackling.

# 3 CPRoark @ 10/08/10 01:48 PM
addy...I'm not sure if it will be free this year or not (that was an editors change and he probably knows more than me!)

It wasn't free last year, for sure. It was free in Madden and NHL. Well, as "free" as something so heavy on micro-transactions can be.

# 4 milin @ 10/08/10 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadron supreme
I totally agree with you about the tackling. The standing tackle takes the ball away the vast majority of the time now matter how good at tackling your opponent is. You combine that with the fact that teams can pressure you for an entire game and not see a stamina decrease makes it very difficult to create through the middle even with top playmakers(Xavi, Sneijder, Fabregas). I hope either through a patch or next years fifa they correct these two issues that have plagued the series for years.
Those are the things why I didn't buy FIFA this year. They're dealbreakers for me, and that's why the game feels the same to me since 09, because they haven't fixed that.

# 5 JRod @ 10/08/10 02:29 PM
It's harder but not less accessible.

Madden says it made it simpler. But in reality it just stripped away playcalling because if you know nothing about football plays, football is a tough game.

EA has a two or one button football mode. That I addresses this complaint.

Just because the difficulty is upped doesn't mean it's harder to access the game. You can still put together some beautiful goals on Pro and World Class.

I think this complaint is a bit off base because most of the soccer world knows and understands soccer as it's a huge part of their lives. As for FIFA, you don't need to pull off any special moves, though it helps considerably. (I don't do them.) I know the reviewer isn't asking for dumbed down game but that's how it comes off. FIFA is probably the most accessible game out of the EA line up. And the difficulty is nice to see when, if you follow FIFA, the ease of World Class and Legendary has been a complaint for the last few iterations.

# 6 CPRoark @ 10/08/10 02:35 PM
JRod,

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking for the game to be "dumbed down;" not my intent. I think that for most, it will be ok., especially if you are familiar with the franchise. Things like interactive tutorials and in-game handbooks would help those unfamiliar with the game ease into it. I think, too, that because it is harder, the uninitiated will be quicker to bail on the game.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

# 7 ChaseB @ 10/08/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
addy...I'm not sure if it will be free this year or not (that was an editors change and he probably knows more than me!)

It wasn't free last year, for sure. It was free in Madden and NHL. Well, as "free" as something so heavy on micro-transactions can be.
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-11-ultimate-team-free/

Boom.

# 8 CPRoark @ 10/08/10 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-11-ultimate-team-free/

Boom.
Nice...thanks.

# 9 Hjkflannel @ 10/08/10 06:44 PM
I bought FIFA and I'm struggling like I always do with the difficulty. One thing that would be a cool addition is opponent defensive and offensive difficulties cos on the easier levels I can shut out the comp easily and score meaning I win mos tof the time but on higher levels I let in a few goals but can't seem to break the defence down.

Defenders have always been a bit overpowered in FIFA, I like the way in pes you can run at your opponent but then a balance between he two would be perfect

# 10 coach422001 @ 10/08/10 07:17 PM
If foul calls are related to the particular ref, and their style, I think that would be a way to make the game seem more realistic. One thing I don't like about our sports sims is that while the players may drop a pass, boot a grounder or shank a free kick, the officiating is always precise and correct (mostly...I guess Madden may have added some missed calls for the coaches challenge). Some refs are lenient, some are strict in real life; if that comes through in the game great...learn your officials and learn what you can get away with or when you have to play clean. I've only played one game thus far...did hear Tyler mention the ref by name which I think may be a first for the series.
coach

# 11 sarlndr @ 10/08/10 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadron supreme
This.

It's ridiculous. I haven't touched the game in days and that's not normal for me. Hopefully they can patch it/tune it or whatever they are calling it these days.

# 12 misterbroom12 @ 10/08/10 11:42 PM
"I broke up the play and the offensive player went down. Naturally, the whistle blew. While mentally preparing myself to defend the PK, I was surprised to see the ball coming out." As you most likely know, with every foul other than a handball the referee plays advantage automatically until he brings play back or lets it go. What you experienced seems that either the ref played advantage or didn't call a foul on you, and in the process of falling to ground, the CPU player's arm/hand hit the ball and was called for a handball. This has happened for me a few times and while in real life the first foul would be what gets called, it is a minor setback in the game and doesn't happen too much that it is a problem. As for your bit about the tackling, I think they have it pretty close to real life as it is. Now players cannot just hold down the A button with disregard for negative consequences as this can now result in missed tackles, fouls, cards and even the CPU making you look foolish now that they use the skill moves. At the same time though, doing this can still be effective to stay tight to an opponent. In real life if you hold onto the ball too long and someone is very close, it isn't too hard to just poke the ball away and thats how the game is. if you hold the ball too long in close proximity to a defender without doing anything special with the ball (shield, skill move, get rid of it) it's bound to be poked away. Also, shielding in this iteration of FIFA is much improved and a very useful tool when tracking down loose balls.

# 13 R9NALD9 @ 10/11/10 03:17 AM
I really don't agree with this review. It's a step back from FIFA10 IMHO. Crosses is a clear bug and very easy to score from...if you need goals just keep on crossing the ball into the area and you will definetly score plenty of goals.

Look at the link below, if the official fifa forums is so devided on this game and almost half of them want to go back to PES then clearly it says a lot about this years game.

http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/300/17401.page

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.