Home
NBA JAM News Post

EA SPORTS NBA JAM to Feature Online Play on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

Critically Acclaimed Game Will be Available In Stores on HD Platforms November 17; Free Title Update To Enhance Online Experience By December

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that EA SPORTS™ NBA JAM will be available in stores worldwide November 17 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and, for the first time ever for the arcade classic, in high definition and featuring online play. Described by Gamesradar.com as “virtually perfect”— NBA JAM will take advantage of the online communities playing on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 to bring all the action into your own virtual arcade.

Featuring gameplay that is true to the original, NBA JAM will have players spinning with ankle breaking moves to the basket and on the way to high-flying, backboard-smashing dunks. With two distinct game modes—Classic Campaign and Remix Tour—plus online modes, EA SPORTS NBA JAM offers something for everyone.

At launch, gamers will be able to take on all rivals playing Classic 2-on-2 online^ for the first time ever, measuring their success on Friends and Global Leaderboards. In December 2010, the online features for NBA JAM will expand significantly with several major online features being delivered through a free title update for connected gamers. In December, connected fans will be able to team-up locally and online to compete in Remix Games, including classic arcade hoop games like Backboard Smash, Domination Free-for-All, Elimination, and 21. Fans will also be able to make it a Jam Party online by inviting up to 3 friends to play. Plus, gamers will be able to take on the world in Online Progression, levelling up through a series of challengers and secret online JAM Challenges to unlock online exclusive rewards and hidden content in the ultimate quest for global bragging rights.

“We have listened to our NBA JAM fans and appreciate their desire to play this game online, so we are going to deliver the online feature set they expect and deserve,” said Trey Smith, Creative Director of NBA JAM. “Fans will be able to play Classic JAM online right out of the box, and can expect to enjoy features like Team-up, Remix Online, Jam Party, Online Progression, and even more secret players and teams, in December.”

In Classic Campaign, players can take a trip down memory lane, individually or with a friend, as they play all 30 teams in the NBA in a worst to first ladder tournament. In Remix Tour, players will be faced with a new twist on the traditional NBA JAM experience. From boss battles against some of the NBA’s greatest legends, to half-court game modes with distinct challenges and winning conditions, players will be taken through an NBA JAM experience completely unique to the basketball videogame genre while demonstrating classic arcade hoops at its best.

EA SPORTS NBA JAM for Wii™ is currently the 8th highest rated sports game ever on the Wii*. It is available in stores now. EA SPORTS NBA JAM is rated “E” for Everyone by the ESRB and 3+ by PEGI in Europe. The MSRP on the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation3 is $49.99 US. Visit http://www.facebook.com/#!/NBAJAM to join the EA SPORTS NBA Jam Facebook group or visit http://nba-jam.easports.com for more information about the game.

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers experiences that ignite the emotions of sport through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA ELITE basketball, NCAA® Football, Fight Night boxing, EA SPORTS MMA and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.

Game: EA Sports NBA JAMReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPad / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 16 - View All
EA Sports NBA JAM Videos
Member Comments
# 81 WazzuRC @ 10/29/10 02:57 PM
Haven't read much of this thread, but who's going to pick this up? Not sure if it's worth the $50, so can someone give me factual reasons as to why it may or may not be worth the money?

Spoiler

# 82 bigball12 @ 10/29/10 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Just because you see a big "lock" on the screen does not mean it was 100% fully implemented correctly.

That's quite a big assumption you are making there.
Actually Pared, I would typically err on the side of caution, but I am nearly positive of this. The challenges to unlock the players using Remix Mode are in the game. I have played against Drazen Petrovic whose unlock challenge requires a mode in Remix. I have seen him in the game. Also, there is a loading screen that advertises that the DLC to unlock the mode will be available, and when I click the 'x' button to go to the Remix Mode, it says that it must be unlocked with content on the Playstation Network. Please trust me, it is in the game!

# 83 Pared @ 10/29/10 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigball12
Actually Pared, I would typically err on the side of caution, but I am nearly positive of this. The challenges to unlock the players using Remix Mode are in the game. I have played against Drazen Petrovic whose unlock challenge requires a mode in Remix. I have seen him in the game. Also, there is a loading screen that advertises that the DLC to unlock the mode will be available, and when I click the 'x' button to go to the Remix Mode, it says that it must be unlocked with content on the Playstation Network. Please trust me, it is in the game!
I hear what you're saying, but I've seen this same exact thing while the game was being developed, and the "locks" don't necessarily indicate a fully working mode.

It could also mean they were too lazy to remove it from the menu and "dumbed down" the version you are playing.

You could have a version that, if that "lock" were to be removed, the game would crash because no such mode exists in the game you have, even though there's a menu option for it.

# 84 DickDalewood @ 10/30/10 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Haven't read much of this thread, but who's going to pick this up? Not sure if it's worth the $50, so can someone give me factual reasons as to why it may or may not be worth the money?

Spoiler

Me too though... it's been tough holding off on the Wii version dammit!

# 85 bigball12 @ 10/30/10 08:40 PM
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but I've seen this same exact thing while the game was being developed, and the "locks" don't necessarily indicate a fully working mode.

It could also mean they were too lazy to remove it from the menu and "dumbed down" the version you are playing.

You could have a version that, if that "lock" were to be removed, the game would crash because no such mode exists in the game you have, even though there's a menu option for it.
Some of this may be true, but this version should not be "dumbed down" considering this is what was going to be released with Elite.

# 86 Pared @ 10/31/10 04:20 PM
Why not? They said publicly that the version you would get thrown in would be less feature-filled.

# 87 bigball12 @ 10/31/10 06:17 PM
Quote:
Why not? They said publicly that the version you would get thrown in would be less feature-filled.
Less feature filled only if it did not have NBA Remix mode included, which in my opinion it did. Even if Remix mode was not in at launch, the plans to release Remix mode as DLC make the game complete. Even more so with the Online play. With Remix Mode + Online, it has more features than the Wii version.

# 88 Pared @ 11/01/10 10:16 AM
I don't recall any plans anywhere to sell Remix as DLC. And if so, they would recoup prices that would have nearly equaled the value of the Wii game, I'm sure.

# 89 ultralow @ 11/02/10 11:31 AM
Good lord the ppl in this thread is funny....to think a.game is free because its packed in is funny.really I think you had to pay 63 bucks for this so called free game.....

# 90 bigball12 @ 11/02/10 01:09 PM
Quote:
I don't recall any plans anywhere to sell Remix as DLC. And if so, they would recoup prices that would have nearly equaled the value of the Wii game, I'm sure.
Pared, clearly the plans to sell the Remix DLC were there. There is a loading screen that advertises the Remix DLC coming soon the PSN store. I will try to get a pic next time I see it.

# 91 ultralow @ 11/02/10 04:51 PM
@bigball12..........pared is not saying they did have any plans to sell it.....he's saying just because there is a tab does not mean the files on the packet you downloaded...having plans to offer this in the future and putting a menu in there is nothing more than a code saying remix coming soon/ or to unlock do this.....and then you go online and download the whole file not some unlock code.....

# 92 jyoung @ 11/02/10 07:36 PM
I would gladly pay $60 for a new, fully-featured NBA Jam.

$50 is a deal IMO.

You say "just an arcade game"

I say

"Just a fun game."

# 93 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/03/10 01:13 AM
This is going to be such a fun bball game. I remember spending hours upon hours (and lunch money) playing this game at the arcade. I just can't believe it's coming out again.

I wish EA would buy tecmo bowl and do the same thing. I'd live to see that game with 2010 rosters, 7 on 7 fast gameplay. Just a thought EA. You have the football liscense. Might as well take everything football. Just saying

Back on topic.

Chat wait til the 17 to have some fun again.

# 94 bigball12 @ 11/03/10 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow
@bigball12..........pared is not saying they did have any plans to sell it.....he's saying just because there is a tab does not mean the files on the packet you downloaded...having plans to offer this in the future and putting a menu in there is nothing more than a code saying remix coming soon/ or to unlock do this.....and then you go online and download the whole file not some unlock code.....
Ok then. I suppose I misunderstood.

# 95 clivo1050 @ 11/03/10 02:22 AM
I was planning on buying elite for this, i'll gladly pay $50 + tax for this game. Hell, i'd pay $80 for it. NBA Jam is gonna be awesome, especially in online co-op!

# 96 Pared @ 11/03/10 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow
Yes! Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
This is going to be such a fun bball game. I remember spending hours upon hours (and lunch money) playing this game at the arcade. I just can't believe it's coming out again.

I wish EA would buy tecmo bowl and do the same thing. I'd live to see that game with 2010 rosters, 7 on 7 fast gameplay. Just a thought EA. You have the football liscense. Might as well take everything football. Just saying

Back on topic.

That actually is a cool idea but I doubt Tecmo would give it up considering they just released something on XBL.

But man... I'd love to play some other games like this. Blades of Steel anyone??

# 97 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/03/10 09:50 AM
Quote:

But man... I'd love to play some other games like this. Blades of Steel anyone??
I'd love to see that. Also, Bases Loaded would be nice.

# 98 Bellsprout @ 11/03/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
EA doesn't hold the license for mobile games (They have the license for the PSP and DS, but not phone games), which makes me wonder why Tecmo's just sitting on the Tecmo Super Bowl license when they could release Tecmo NFL for the iPhone and make a ****load of money.

# 99 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/03/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
EA doesn't hold the license for mobile games (They have the license for the PSP and DS, but not phone games), which makes me wonder why Tecmo's just sitting on the Tecmo Super Bowl license when they could release Tecmo NFL for the iPhone and make a ****load of money.
I wasn't talking about mobile games. I was talking 360 & PS3. I don't care about mobile games, they don't do it for me. I'd rather EA buy the Tecmo license and release a 7 on 7 Tecmo game like they're doing with NBA Jam.

Not sure how mobile game got brought up...

# 100 DickDalewood @ 11/03/10 06:21 PM
Quote:

Back on topic.

Yup, I can't wait for this either. What's funny is I can actually spend TONS of time just playing this game by myself... not sure what it is, but it just has that factor that keeps me hooked.

And I enjoyed the hell out of the recently updated Tecmo Bowl, so that is a GREAT idea.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.