Home
SSX News Post

As rumored back in early November, EA has finally announced SSX Deadly Descents.

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them. From the peaks of the Himalayas, where the air is so thin that riders have to descend through the death zone at breakneck speeds to keep from blacking out, to the solid ice ranges of Antarctica, where a sunlit line is the only survival option when temperatures drop 50 degrees centigrade in the shade. And the mountain isn’t the only danger players will face. In SSX: Deadly Descents the first goal is to survive. The second, in true SSX fashion, is to look good doing it.

View the screenshots, right here.

Game: SSXReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 4 - View All
SSX Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Dispatch @ 12/12/10 03:15 PM
It's about time! I've been waiting for this game for such a long time. This is one of the most fun games I have ever played and its finally coming to the next generation consoles!

# 2 DickDalewood @ 12/12/10 03:32 PM
Must. Buy.

# 3 Tsuki @ 12/12/10 04:35 PM
FINALLY THE SSX SERIES IS BACK there are few games in my life that i have played that were seriously fun i cant wait too get my hands on this

# 4 H to the Oza @ 12/12/10 05:08 PM
NEXT winter? aww I dont wanna wait that long

# 5 BlackRome @ 12/12/10 06:12 PM
Can't wait.

# 6 johnnyg713 @ 12/12/10 07:58 PM
Idk if i like the direction they are heading in with the series. What made the series for me was the outrageous tricks and arcade feel. Still very early to tell how the game will shape up to be but SSX black opps is what most are calling it now.

# 7 JohnDoe8865 @ 12/12/10 08:30 PM
I don't like the new direction. I was huge fan of SSX 3 in particular, and this looks too "military" inspired for a snowboarding game. I guess we'll see how it shapes up.

# 8 NoDakHusker @ 12/12/10 08:45 PM
No matter the direction of the game, it's freakin' SSX. Day one buy for me.

# 9 Blzer @ 12/12/10 09:29 PM
I'll be good without uber tricks or monster tricks, but I would like to see a bit more tameness if it's going to be nothing but dark, snowy mountains. I know my sister won't like it at all. She really only liked SSX Tricky, mostly because of the characters I guess (and the sense of understanding what's going on). Don't get me wrong, I love chaos as much as the next guy, but not everybody does.

I hope they're doing the right thing. I've been waiting for an SSX game for too damn long.

# 10 ExtremeGamer @ 12/13/10 08:51 AM
Willing to give it a fair shot, as it was just a CGI trailer, but the direction sucks IMO.

The thing about SSX was the over the top tricks and goofy characters. It's what made it a blast to play.

Making what looks like a military snowboarding game and slapping the SSX name on it to sell copies isn't what I was expecting.

# 11 Pete1210 @ 12/13/10 09:14 AM
Looks awful. I want a colorful fun SSX game. Not some dark military themed nonsense.

# 12 jyoung @ 12/13/10 11:15 AM
Definitely too dark and gritty in this trailer.

Hope the real game is a lot brighter and goofier like the original SSX.

# 13 DickDalewood @ 12/13/10 11:59 AM
Dammit... I'm actually starting to agree with you guys on this after my initial excitement. This trailer didn't really have an SSX feel to it at all... no goofy looking characters, no bright colors, etc etc. Also, PLEASE tell me that glide suite/parachute WON'T be in the game.

# 14 NoDakHusker @ 12/13/10 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Dammit... I'm actually starting to agree with you guys on this after my initial excitement. This trailer didn't really have an SSX feel to it at all... no goofy looking characters, no bright colors, etc etc. Also, PLEASE tell me that glide suite/parachute WON'T be in the game.
I was actually thinking the same thing, I was excited at first but after watching the trailer again I'm kind of thinking it might not be that great.
But I'll wait and see when more info comes out to decide whether it'll be worth it or not.

I just remember playing the first SSX for hours on end, that game was so much fun. I think it'd be awesome to see the first SSX on XBLA or something.

# 15 spit_bubble @ 12/13/10 02:26 PM
So you can fly.

Lame.

# 16 Jistic @ 12/13/10 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Willing to give it a fair shot, as it was just a CGI trailer, but the direction sucks IMO.

The thing about SSX was the over the top tricks and goofy characters. It's what made it a blast to play.

Making what looks like a military snowboarding game and slapping the SSX name on it to sell copies isn't what I was expecting.

Agreed a billion times. I just watched this trailer and got a very bad vibe immediately. Do I need a darker grittier SSX? I know it's cool to make everything dark and gritty these days but I like my SSX being over the top. What a damn shame to wait this long for a new SSX and to see this as the direction.

Great job EA.

# 17 Blzer @ 12/13/10 02:45 PM

# 18 aukevin @ 12/13/10 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

yeah the trailier did nothing for me at all. I don't really care for the CGI trailers anyway, but at least they usually pump me up some. This did little.

# 19 Flawless @ 01/06/11 07:56 PM
Some details from EGM:
  • Rewind Feature
  • 17 regions spread across the whole globe, each mountain rideable in all their 360º degrees of slopes, Stoked style. They're aiming for 70 open mountains. Mountains are generated automatically by the game, including some from topographic data like Google Earth. The producer talks about his programmer asking him to name any mountain, the producer said "Everest", the tech guy plugs that info into the mountain building program (dubbed "Mountain Man), and the program spit out a 100,000+ polygon rendered mountain.
  • Regions confirmed so far: Siberia, Himalayas (split into two mountains it would seem, for now), Kilimanjaro, Siberia, Caucasus, The Alps.
  • Each mountain is tailored to one kind of danger. Thin air, ice, temperature, will each be the main danger of one mountain range.
  • The gear you purchase/earn will be important, each piece may be better to a certain condition/danger.
  • Elise is returning. Start guessing who the guy in the trailer is (or it could be a new fella...)
  • There will be tracks in the game. They have natural shortcuts, some of the runs are pinched together, some others intersect.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.