Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

The New York Post has posted their MLB 2K11 preview.

Quote:
"Another change that has been made is that 2K11 has polished and tuned the pitching system. This year they will be bringing back the old system of pitching, based on the right thumbstick, and they have fine-tuned the control system. Now if you continuously miss a pitch, you will not be able to know where it will wind up, just like in real life, if you miss badly, the pitch may end up anywhere in the zone."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/25/11 01:04 PM
I must say, that Roy Halladay model looks amazing. I hope this game allows you to hit from the 2k7 hitting perspective, zoomed way in!

# 2 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/25/11 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Okay, I've read enough of the previews. When are the gameplay videos coming?

At this point, the previews are just saying the same things we have already read. So now we need to see the game in action to see if the changes are what we think they are.
Personally I'm waiting on the Fielding & Franchise Insights. GP Videos are always a plus, but I wanna hear directly from development on what they've done to improve these 2 aspects of the game.

# 3 jeffy777 @ 01/25/11 01:52 PM
They said they're planning to release one Developer Insight each week up until the game is released. I think they also said there wouldn't be one last week because of all the previews, so we should see one this week.

# 4 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/25/11 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq
Does anyone have an idea when the Insights should be coming?......Also will we have developers videos like last year?
I would think since this is the LAST week in January, we'd be getting an Insight this week, but who knows. My feeling is Insights may go like this:

FIELDING
PITCHING/HITTING
FRANCHISE/ONLINE FRANCHISE
PRESENTATION/PLAYER MODELS

# 5 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/25/11 02:51 PM
We'll it looks like 2k is still capturing signature styles..

"Neftali Feliz @ MLB Studio 42"

# 6 Trevytrev11 @ 01/25/11 04:43 PM
Quote:
Now if you continuously miss a pitch, you will not be able to know where it will wind up, just like in real life, if you miss badly, the pitch may end up anywhere in the zone.
Just analyzing this statement:

Is this basically trying to replicate a pitcher who just loses feel for a pitch one day? When sometimes you just don't have command of a pitch and no matter what you try and do to adjust, you just never develop a feel for it?

If so, I applaud that. I think that is a pretty good idea. I know when I pitched, sometimes you just couldn't get the feel for a curve and as hard as your tried to bury one down in the zone, you'd leave it hanging.

I like this idea IF you are continuously missing a lot with a given pitch. Somtimes you will be nailing 3 of your 4 pitches, but that one just keeps getting away.

However, I also like the fact that in the past, if you over throw your curve (carry your r-stick slightly past the release point), it would act like you over threw it and miss down and away. And if you let go too early, you would miss up and in. I thought this, in principal, was a realisitic cause and effect for missing pitches. Release too soon, ball goes up and in, release too late, ball goes down and away.

I hope they stick with this as the rule and only throw in the new aspect in the event that you keep missing a certain pitch and your pitcher basically loses confidence in that pitch.

I think these two ideas together make for a solid pitching platform.

I just don't like complete randomness because usually when you are on, as a pitcher, you can usually throw a pitch knowing that you are either going to nail your target or miss in a given direction. In other words, when a guy is up 0-2 or 1-2 on a hitter and tries to paint the outside corner, he's going to either hit that corner or make sure that if he misses, it is on the outside part of the plate.

I like to know that when I throw a pitch, that if I miss, I am going to miss to the safe part of the zone (usually to the direction of the target).

# 7 Artman22 @ 01/25/11 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
We'll it looks like 2k is still capturing signature styles..

"Neftali Feliz @ MLB Studio 42"

This is great!!

# 8 kraken613 @ 01/25/11 05:03 PM
I really hope to hear more about My Player and Franchise mode soon. Overall all these previews give me some hope though.

# 9 CincinnatiRedlegs @ 01/25/11 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken613
I really hope to hear more about My Player and Franchise mode soon. Overall all these previews give me some hope though.
That's certainly what I'm looking forward to. These articles are awesome and the new features sound great, but I'm chomping at the bit to hear some My Player and Franchise updates.

# 10 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/25/11 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberq
Haha that looks great dude......But does anyone think that it is a little late for this things at the end of January?
Never too late for motion capture. This game still has 2 weeks before submission for certification

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk

# 11 rudyjuly2 @ 01/25/11 07:10 PM
That preview made it sound like a pitcher will have different confidence levels for each pitch rather than an overall confidence level. I would definitely prefer this if true.

The comment on fielding actually shed a little more light than the other previews. Not only is a bad fielder's ball indicator larger, it shows up later as well. I like this idea.

And I do like the comment that the camera angle is pulled back more after the hit. I hope there is more than one option on defense but if it is zoomed out more to allow us to track the ball like the 2K9 camera I would be really happy.

# 12 rudyjuly2 @ 01/25/11 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
One of the things I really miss from 2K8 was how different pitches could go up or down in rating depending on how well you nailed your payoff pitches. It would be cool if a variation on that comes back. It doesn't even need the whole Payoff Pitch metagame.
I had read that pitching in 2K8 was more difficult but 2K10 was the first time I went with 2K. What was the payoff pitch? Was there a third step in the process or something?

I think 2K needs to improve the difference between a pitcher's best pitch and worst pitch. Last year I could throw almost any pitch I wanted to without a big difference regardless of the rating.

# 13 Trevytrev11 @ 01/25/11 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I had read that pitching in 2K8 was more difficult but 2K10 was the first time I went with 2K. What was the payoff pitch? Was there a third step in the process or something?

I think 2K needs to improve the difference between a pitcher's best pitch and worst pitch. Last year I could throw almost any pitch I wanted to without a big difference regardless of the rating.

Payoff pitching was a little mini game within the game in which you could boost the rating of your pitches. Certain pitches, that were deemed more important, were "payoff pitches" (Strike out situations, pitching out of jams, etc.). By hitting the catchers spot with the chosen pitch in these situations, you received a boost in that pitches rating.

2K8 also involved a three step pitching process. In doing this you were able to control the power/effort, the quality and the location of the pitch by performing all three parts.

The difference to the current system is that you had to time the release of the stick after the movement with an on-screen graphic.

So for a fastball, it would be 1) Pull Back to desired effort then 2) Press forward and hold as the meter shrunk towards the center and then 3) let go as it was as close to center as possible.

It was a thing of beauty that only needed to be fine tuned, but instead, they scrapped it.

# 14 foofighter2455 @ 01/26/11 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Payoff pitching was a little mini game within the game in which you could boost the rating of your pitches. Certain pitches, that were deemed more important, were "payoff pitches" (Strike out situations, pitching out of jams, etc.). By hitting the catchers spot with the chosen pitch in these situations, you received a boost in that pitches rating.

2K8 also involved a three step pitching process. In doing this you were able to control the power/effort, the quality and the location of the pitch by performing all three parts.

The difference to the current system is that you had to time the release of the stick after the movement with an on-screen graphic.

So for a fastball, it would be 1) Pull Back to desired effort then 2) Press forward and hold as the meter shrunk towards the center and then 3) let go as it was as close to center as possible.

It was a thing of beauty that only needed to be fine tuned, but instead, they scrapped it.

Cosign, the deepest pitching system I've played with in any game. I was sad they nerfed it down for the masses in future versions.

If a game combined that pitching with MVP NCAA 06's hitting, I'd be in paradise. The hitting in that game felt so organic on the left stick while the most recent 2K games still feel like the hit location and timing is predetermined sometimes.

# 15 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/26/11 08:47 AM
For all the flak 2k8 got it did some things very well & the 3 step process for pitching was definitely 1 of them

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk

# 16 ryan36 @ 01/26/11 11:20 AM
2k8 wasn't that bad, I would've enjoyed it if had 2k9's gameplay. It WAS a hard mechanic, but since everything turned into just a meatball. I liked NOT picking the button to pitch...and if you missed, it was like losing your grip, and you threw something off...(problem was mistakes were in the middle of the plate)

# 17 Trevytrev11 @ 01/26/11 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
2k8 wasn't that bad, I would've enjoyed it if had 2k9's gameplay. It WAS a hard mechanic, but since everything turned into just a meatball. I liked NOT picking the button to pitch...and if you missed, it was like losing your grip, and you threw something off...(problem was mistakes were in the middle of the plate)
The meatball was really the only issue. If they had put logic into how the stick movement impacted the outcome of the pitch (as they did in 2K9 and 2K10) instead of making it completely random, it would have been a beautiful system.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.