Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

To say that the Madden series has been a success this console generation would be an overstatement of the decade.

Think back to the year 2004, a year that could be summed up as nothing short of a football gaming utopia. NFL 2K5 aside, EA's Madden 2005 set the bar for all successive iterations in the series. The game was the perfect blend of polished gameplay, solid presentation, and new and innovative features like defensive playmaker controls. Madden 05 had football gamers glued to their consoles for months to come.

Fast forward to 2006 when the now infamous Madden "next-gen" trailer was released, and the hype surrounding Madden's move to the Xbox 360 and PS3 was at a fever pitch.

Read More - Madden's Current Gen Has Not Been a Success

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Vikes1 @ 02/07/11 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Unfortunately, I have all but given up on Madden for this generation. I have not played "The Show" much but I play NHL 11 all the time. The gameplay in NHL 11 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Madden is at the moment. Other sports games like "The Show", FIFA, NBA 2k11, and NHL are absoulely amazing when compared with Madden.
Yep Ch46647...this is pretty much my opinion too.

My interest in this gen of Madden has waned badly. To the point where I haven't bought the game the last two years. Imo...Madden has been over hyped, and has underperformed this entire generation.

I agree with you that several other sports games [even some of EA's own] have simply surpassed Madden in nearly every important way. Game play, AI, franchise modes, simulation of the sport they represent, etc... And in the biggest way possible...just simply more fun and interesting to play. Again...this is Jmo.

For me personally, I think the best way to express my feelings about things would be...even as a huge lifelong football fan, and purchaser of Madden for years...since playing NHL '08'-'11'...I haven't touched Madden since. Not meaning to bash, just speaking the facts.

# 22 trufootball @ 02/08/11 12:03 AM
this has to the biggest failure of a franchise. Still unbelievable

# 23 illwill10 @ 02/08/11 12:08 AM
The one thing I noticed current gen for most games made for both Xbox/PS3 is the Xbox's graphics is superior to PS3, besides Sony exclusive games. PS3 and Xbox should be equal when it comes to graphics.

# 24 cowboysfan440 @ 02/08/11 05:57 AM
i remember when i never had to worry if madden was gonna be amazing and even after the next gen 06 game i gave them the benifit of the doubt cause they rushed it after 07 i was aggravated and 08 i lost hope..then finally in 09 it started improving and has slowly since but its just mind boggling that we're here now 5 maddens deep on next gen and nowhere near where we were 5 or even 4 maddens deep on the old ps2/xbox as far as gameplay or fanchise esp. idk if i will ever has as much fun playing madden as i did back in 05

i hope 2k returns asap cause i for one enjoyed both game i was always more of a madden guy but they each offered something different to me and the competition brought out the best in both

# 25 cowboysfan440 @ 02/08/11 06:00 AM
funniest thing now looking back on it i remember seeing that commercial and thinking theres no way madden can be like this..and i remember an ea rep answering a qa about it..it may be on ign not sure they asked him did he think they may have set the bar to high for the next gen systems and he responded by saying he thinks we may have set it to low...crazy that ps2 madden 2005 or 04 are still much deeper in just about every aspect

fact is the madden and 2k hardcore fans are probly the most punished gamers in the world because we lost both of our games after 05

# 26 RedZoneD25 @ 02/08/11 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysfan440
funniest thing now looking back on it i remember seeing that commercial and thinking theres no way madden can be like this..and i remember an ea rep answering a qa about it..it may be on ign not sure they asked him did he think they may have set the bar to high for the next gen systems and he responded by saying he thinks we may have set it to low...crazy that ps2 madden 2005 or 04 are still much deeper in just about every aspect

fact is the madden and 2k hardcore fans are probly the most punished gamers in the world because we lost both of our games after 05
I only beg to differ because IMO 05 was the START of greatness on PS2. It continued through the next two iterations and improved even more.

Now if you're talking next gen, I wholeheartedly agree.

# 27 simfballcritic @ 02/08/11 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Well I respect your opinion, but let me run this by you.

If Madden NFL calls itself a "simulation", it needs to be real. Off the record, I don't even begin to think for a second Madden plays like a true NFL game, whether it be in gameplay, franchise, online, superstar, anywhere. I rarely see a complaint that it is too real. This is where the exclusive license may have hurt Madden more than anyone realizes. Now instead of deciding to make a sim or arcade version of the game, they have to combine everyone into one $60 disc. This is near impossible, as the two sides want what they want and that's that. So you either make the people who just want to have fun mad, or the people who want total realism and authenticity mad. They've done a pretty good job including the basics of both concepts, but where my issue lies is:

-We are in year 3 of this dev team. I don't like hearing about "visions" anymore. Show me the money, so to say. Not even for M12, just in general. Andy Reid had a 5 year plan in 1999 that would win the Super Bowl for Philadelphia. He got to the game in 04, but he's still here in 2011 (year 12, going on 13 if there is football next season)

-With 2011's technologies, a development team with the prior 2 games of the same core, should be (IMO) FAR past the "basic concepts" of ANYTHING. That's why you have a year one, which leads me to my final point.

-Madden needs to find their identity BADLY. Whether they want to be arcade, sim, or a weird mixture of the two, take a sharp right turn in that direction and make it known worldwide that MADDEN NFL IS A ____ FOOTBALL GAME! Even though it would alienate fans of the other option, you could no longer fault EA for not looking in a certain direction if they came out and say it.

As of right now, Madden NFL says they want to be the best simulation sports game out there. I say, prove it. Show the world you can take Madden back to the top.
I fully agree with you man.

# 28 RGiles36 @ 02/08/11 08:30 AM
I'm not going to join in on the bashing -- enough of that goes on in this forum as it already is. But I certainly agree that Madden lacks true innovation. Sure, they gave us Gameflow. But it's not a game changer IMO -- it just adds convenience and perhaps another level of strategy.

The presentation doesn't blow you away. I feel as though the gameplay is solid (my opinion), but what's innovative about it? They've provided Pro-Tak, locomotion, and numerous other improvements. But that's just what they are: improvments.

Maybe I'm just waiting for them to take a risk? Granted, they've had a lot to address the last couple years so re-inventing the wheel certainly hasn't been a priority. I'd just like to see them add some spice to the passing game, or add something creative to the defense that we haven't seen. Something!

# 29 cowboysfan440 @ 02/08/11 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I only beg to differ because IMO 05 was the START of greatness on PS2. It continued through the next two iterations and improved even more.

Now if you're talking next gen, I wholeheartedly agree.
yeah im mainly talking next gen for me personally the biggest reason i went out and purchased a 360 so fast was for that commercial
id say that the greatness for the ps2/xbox started in 04 after 06 they didnt really do much with those versions cause of focusing on next gen but was still a far superior product 09 was the first year i didnt feel the need to go out and buy the ps2 version of the game and play that more than the next gen

# 30 JBH3 @ 02/08/11 04:31 PM
Finally. An article that makes sense.

Look at other sports games w/ competition.

The Show is the class of Baseball...2K tries to compete, but the Show is King.

NBA2K has had competition, but have developed a game that is unparalleled.

Common denominator is competition.

We are all guilty of giving way to the thought that Madden has been a success.

We knowingly bought a poor product by comparison to the aforementioned Next-Gen Sports titles ONLY because we wanted a PRO football game to play. At least I am...

I'll admit that I had fun w/ this years Madden. It was far more playable than any of the past three titles. However, my time with this game was completely RUINED once I played and won the Superbowl and had Kevin Kolb's character in all of the post-celebration cutscenes.

Vick was taken out of the game late in the 4th Qtr since the Eagles were up by 28 pts, and Kolb came in to throw 1 pass and hand the ball off a dozen times. I guess because the game only "looked" at the depth chart to determine what player model would be used in the cutscenes is why Kolb became that guy.

I only mention this because these are the constant issues that plaque this title.

# 31 tpaterniti @ 02/08/11 05:12 PM
I predict a quick ban for the OP for criticizing the almighty Madden, something this site apparently frowns upon.

# 32 sb24 @ 02/08/11 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaterniti
I predict a quick ban for the OP for criticizing the almighty Madden, something this site apparently frowns upon.
Hes a writer for the site FYI.

# 33 tpaterniti @ 02/08/11 05:25 PM
Doesn't matter. OS answers to a higher power lol.

# 34 coke hogan @ 02/08/11 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaterniti

seems like they got u with a warning buddy, even though ur statement is not too far from the truth.

it is frowned upon to speak bad of the best thing smoking for now.
even if it it constructive and done in a nice way.

can't bite the hand that feeds u.

# 35 ryan36 @ 02/08/11 05:41 PM
I don't know how you can say OS is beholden to Madden, when WE published the article.

Keep on topic, guys; talk about the article , not OS

# 36 sb24 @ 02/08/11 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke hogan
seems like they got u with a warning buddy, even though ur statement is not too far from the truth.

it is frowned upon to speak bad of the best thing smoking for now.
even if it it constructive and done in a nice way.

can't bite the hand that feeds u.
Guys you have it wrong. You can talk as much **** on this game as you want, you just have to do it in a way that actually has a point. If you just bitching just to bitch well that when the hammer comes. Its absoluty comical to me guys seriously think this is an "EA" site. Try browsing outside the madden sections and post enough to know what the site is about before making these claims. They are annoying and very very played out.

# 37 coke hogan @ 02/08/11 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Guys you have it wrong. You can talk as much **** on this game as you want, you just have to do it in a way that actually has a point. If you just bitching just to bitch well that when the hammer comes. Its absoluty comical to me guys seriously think this is an "EA" site. Try browsing outside the madden sections and post enough to know what the site is about before making these claims. They are annoying and very very played out.

i have been lurking this site for yrs.

i know how it goes but i also noticed since the madden devs started posting the slightest disapproval of this game is looked down upon, even when it is warrented and presented as not bashing.

i understand presenting ur remarks in a respectful way, because that is how it should be but i am surprised i got a warning, but also under the new doctrine i could have been banned without warning.

so i guess i am greatful.

# 38 ryan36 @ 02/08/11 06:08 PM
Move on guys. You can criticize the game all you want...

For me it was unplayable until after a 5th patch. If they stopped at patch 4, I wouldn't have it. I don't think it was fun.

It's when you call out OS's impartiality that it matters.

Having the devs here is nice, but really we'd have all the same info... the only difference is sometimes a dev (for any game) will ask for feedback and OS users are in a unique position to give it.

# 39 cree ross @ 02/08/11 06:43 PM
Well at least you got surprise onside kick.... and now the developers have a slider set (aka tuner)

# 40 mjhyankees @ 02/08/11 06:50 PM
i dont' disagree with any of your points out there guys.....but I'm having a great time with the game...good sliders = good gameplay and the franchise mode is still decent...true it lacks features from the past and that would surely improve the presentation and in depth part of the game. I also agree that lack of competition HAS TO reduce the effort to make a great game.
That said I'm happy with the improvement in next gen (played old gen until 09) and expect them to continue to get better. Faulted yes, lack of speedy improvement yes,...but enjoyable nonetheless...maybe I'm easy to please but I find that madden 11 is the best next gen so far and I look forward to continued improvement (maybe I'm naive too).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.